PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:52 am      Post subject: Help needed in deciphering a name and address

Hello!
I've come across some information for my great-grandfather on a Canadian immigration passenger list. He wasn't the passenger, my grandmother was, but his name and address are listed on it as the nearest relative in the country from which she came (Poland/Belarus). I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the name and address - I have a different spelling of his name, which is why I'm confused. And I don't understand the form of the address. Any insight is very much appreciated! Thank you!

*Picture is included*

IMG_8899.jpg
 Description:
This is a picture of his name and address (circled in yellow) taken from the Canadian immigration passenger list in 1928.
 Filesize:  492.54 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

IMG_8899.jpg

Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:22 pm      Post subject: Re: Help needed in deciphering a name and address

jaimeldiaz12 wrote:
Hello!
I've come across some information for my great-grandfather on a Canadian immigration passenger list. He wasn't the passenger, my grandmother was, but his name and address are listed on it as the nearest relative in the country from which she came (Poland/Belarus). I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the name and address - I have a different spelling of his name, which is why I'm confused. And I don't understand the form of the address. Any insight is very much appreciated! Thank you!

*Picture is included*

Hi,
I see it as "P. Stolin" where P probably means Powiat. Then, "P.O. Dawid Grodek Poland" which I take to be Post Office in Dawid Grodek, in Poland. These place names are all in Polish. As you know, it's in today's Belarus, and so the name will look different - - so here's a link that shows the other forms of the name:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davyd-Haradok
How do you have his name spelled? Here, it looks like "Mr. Trofom Fawalka" but the letters are a bit blurry.
Best,
Sophia
jaimeldiaz12

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:29 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,
Thank you so much for your reply and help, this town's name seems to be correct (as it's in the same area) as my grandmother was born in a town not too far away. As for his name, I've seen it as Trofim Kowalko, though I have no records to verify it. Hopefully I can locate something. Thanks again!
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:39 pm      Post subject:

jaimeldiaz12 wrote:
Hi Sophia,
Thank you so much for your reply and help, this town's name seems to be correct (as it's in the same area) as my grandmother was born in a town not too far away. As for his name, I've seen it as Trofim Kowalko, though I have no records to verify it. Hopefully I can locate something. Thanks again!

The spelling as you have it, Trofim Kowalko, seems much more likely to be the correct spelling than what is shown on the ship manifest.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: