PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 pm      Post subject: Michal and Jan Jusko(Juszko)

Hello !
Looking for any information on my husband's grandfather,Michal and his brother, Jan.
They lived in Stare Gorecko,Wola Russia (?) .They came over to the U.S. through Ellis Island.
My husband knows very little about their lives in Russia and Poland ,but they changed their name to Juskowicz when they were there,they jumped the trains there and then in NY to Buffalo to Dunkirk, NY. What A bunch !
Their stepmother Ewa Zuobl tried to poison them,so they ran away.,and came to the U.S.

They ended up in Dunkirk/Fredonia NY. There were 2 more brothers, Frank and Steve who lived in the same area on a farm in Fredonia.

Don't know anything else about them.Hope you can add or comment ..
Regards,
Marie
Send e-mail
OlaEm

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:09 am      Post subject:

Hello Marie,
could you provide some dates? When did they emigrate? When they were born?
I found a marriage between Michał Juśko and Ewa born Mielnik in Górecko Kościelne in 1909. His parents were Michał Juśko and Marianna born Rudy. I've found that they had 6 children: Józef, Szczepan, Wawrzyniec, Stanisław, Katarzyna, Jan. Does it fit to the information you have?
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:00 pm      Post subject:

Hello Marie,

I did some research on your family and this is what I discovered:

Naturalization records and passenger list for Michael Jusko (Juszko) indicates his last residence and place where his father, Franciszek, lived as: Borkau, Kreis Glogau, Schlesien, Prussian Poland. These locations are known today as: Borek, Glogow, Donoslaskie, Poland. It also states he was going to Dunkirk, NY, and that he could not read or write. That means he could not spell the place of his birth for people taking information from him. The scribes wrote it the way it sounded to them.

Michael’s passenger list (2 pages) first has him listed as coming from Germany; it is then crossed out later by another person and Russia is written in. In the passenger list, his place of birth is also listed as Borkau (page 2, line 6).

Michael’s naturalization papers indicate they could not validate his passage to the USA – they probably couldn’t find his passenger list. However, he re-submitted his papers and they found it the second time around. It seems that a clerk in the naturalization office found the passenger list and transcribed the information to another form. During this transcription, the clerk made a mistake. Michael’s entry on the passenger list is line 6. When the clerk went to page 2, he mis-aligned the birth locations with the line items. If you count six locations down from the top of that column, the entry is “Borgau” (Borkau) which agrees with the residence of his father, but the clerk mistakenly read the location above it “Swierczyn” and wrote that on the naturalization form. I wonder if it was that same clerk who went back to page 1 and crossed out “Germany” and hand wrote “Russia”. Evidence seems to be pointing to the area of Prussian Poland as the ancestral home of your Jusko family – not Russia. Additional records I found for Michael, Steven (Szczepan) and John also have “Germany” showing up occasionally as their country of origin – not Russia.

FYI, Here is the listing in Kartenmeister for Borkau:

German Name: Borkau
Alternate Name 1: Borkau-Sabor
Alternate Name 2: Burkau 1840
Polish/Russian Name: Borek
Kreis/County: Glogau
German Province: Schlesien
Today's Province: Dolnoslaskie
Location Description: This village/town is located 5.5 km and 109 degrees from Glogau, which is known today as Glogow
Lutheran Parish: Weißholz 1905
Catholic Parish: Glogau 1905
Standesamt/Civil Registry: Weißholz 1905

The Lutheran Parish and the Civil Registry are both located is Weissholz (Ger.) which is known today as Białołęka (Pol.)
The Catholic Parish is located in Glogau (Ger.) which is known today as Glogow (Pol.)
I suggest you search for the Jasko family in both the Catholic and the Lutheran parish records. My family from Prussian Poland switched churches depending upon convenience of location. It may be the same for you.

Pictures and some history of Borkau (Borek):
http://www.glogow.pl/okolice/podstrony/glogowski/borek.htm

The path you have been on, i.e., Górecko Stare in Biłgoraj, Lublin, which is the only village named Górecko in what was the Russian partition, is 669 KM (over 6 hours by car) from the residence of his father in Borkau, K. Glogau (Borek in pow. Glogow). Also, I looked at the parish books for Górecko, Biłgoraj in the Zamosc archives

https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/88/608/0/?q=G%C3%B3recko+XSKANro:t+XARCHro:88&wynik=1&rpp=15&page=1#tabJednostki

and did not find any Jasko, Jusko, or Juszko family entries. Family Search also has digitized records for Górecko, Biłgoraj, but they are locked and must be viewed from a family research center. I am doubting that the Górecko in Lublin is the place of his birth…….

However, there are other locations that sound like Górecko in Poland that are closer to Borek, p. Glogow. Perhaps you can broaden your search to one of these villages:

1) Góreczki, Kozmin (111 km from Borek, p. Glogow)
2) Górecko, Lubusz (188 km from Borek, p. Glogow)
3) Górecka, Posen (125 km from Borek, p. Glogow)
4) Górecka, Wroclaw (108 km from Borek, p. Glogow)
5) Góreczki Wielkie, (90 km from Borek, p. Glogow)

As a side note: I couldn’t find online records for any of the villages listed above – or for Glogow which is the parish for Catholic records of Borek. Perhaps another member of the community can add to what I discovered and point you in the right direction. Or, you may need to hire a researcher through Polish Origins to find it for you.

I will attache the naturalization records and passenger lists for Michael Jusko as part of this thread. I have a lot of other documents for this family that I have not posted in the forum. If you want them, send me a private email message through Polish Origins.

I hope this helps,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:08 pm      Post subject:

Michael Jusko passenger list (2 pages); he is on line 6

1912 Michael Jusko pass list Ln6 pg2 sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.69 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1912 Michael Jusko pass list Ln6 pg2 sm.jpg

1912 Michael Jusko pass list Ln6 pg1 sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.8 MB

1912 Michael Jusko pass list Ln6 pg1 sm.jpg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:18 pm      Post subject:

Naturalization records for Michael Jusko (pages 1-3); I will post pages 4-6 in another post.

1928 Michael Jusko Natural p3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.65 MB

1928 Michael Jusko Natural p3.JPG

1928 Michael Jusko Natural p2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.73 MB

1928 Michael Jusko Natural p2.JPG

1928 Michael Jusko natural p1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.77 MB

1928 Michael Jusko natural p1.JPG

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:20 pm      Post subject:

Michael Jusko naturalization papers pages 4-6

Note the page titled: verified pass list is where the clerk made the mistake....

1928 Michael Jusko verified pass list.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.68 MB

1928 Michael Jusko verified pass list.JPG

1928 Michael Jusko Natural p5 sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  915.5 KB

1928 Michael Jusko Natural p5 sm.jpg

1928 Michael Jusko Natural p4.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.68 MB

1928 Michael Jusko Natural p4.JPG

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: