PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:52 am      Post subject: 1860s West Prussia

Still seeking help to locate birth record for Gr.grandma Franziska before 1896. Surnames range is Gelta, Helta, Heldt, Helt, Halt. Place of residence range is Kosabud, West Prussia, Zalesie; all near present day Brusy, Poland. Traveled to Poland in 2019, but found nothing on her family. Only one photo exists of Franciska in Ger.Poland.

Frances&Mom2.jpg
 Description:
Franziska in on far right.
 Filesize:  385.53 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Frances&Mom2.jpg

mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:57 pm      Post subject:

Hi Roseanne,

I looked at your other posts over the years. You have done a lot of research on this. It is possible they married in Poland - not in the US, if family story says he returned to Poland to find a wife.

To check it out, you can look in Family Search catalog for 1889-1890 county marriage records for:

Chadron, Dawes County, Nebraska (chose this because their first son was born here in 1890 per his naturalization record)

Sioux City, Woodbury and Plymouth Counties, Iowa (because that is where is first submitted papers for citizenship)

If you can't find them there, then its possible they married in Poland.

Her specific village seems to be Kosobudy (Polish) which in German was Kossabude. It is very close to Busy. I also have family from the German partition of Poland, and I discovered records in both Catholic and Protestant parishes. It seems it was common to switch depending upon the political winds of the day. It could also have been a matter of convenience, i.e., which was closer. My family went back and forth over the years... possibly yours did as well.

Here is the Kartenmeister index for Kossabude:
http://www.kartenmeister.com/preview/City.asp?CitNum=12143

Here is the Meyers Gazetteer entry for Kossabude:
https://www.meyersgaz.org/place/11048021

If you select the tab "Ecclesiastical" on the Meyers entry, it lists all the nearby parishes for Catholic and Protestant. The map tab even has options to display locations of the churches on the map.

Also, Family Search has the films for the Protestant church at Kossabude, but they are not digitized:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/219188?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Wish I could have helped more.
All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:40 pm      Post subject:

Don’t know if you have this... here is their marriage record for 1888 in Woodbury county, Iowa

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJDS-4SY4

Cynthia
Send e-mail
roseanne

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:18 am      Post subject: 1860s West Prussia

Thank you Cynthia. I will visit the links you sent. Francisca traveled back and forth several times. I have plenty of documents from USA. I am seeking the family's details in Poland before 1896. I have Nicolaus birth record, born in Brus, Germany. Present day is Brusy, Poland. A family story was told that he could not find a wife in America, so he went back to his village & found Francisca in a village nearby; Zalesie, Kosobudy, ? She spoke German and some Polish to communicate with Nicolaus. I have been on German genealogy facebook pages, but no one seems to point me in the right direction. I do have a few researchers in Poland to contact, but not ready to pay the fee if I haven't exhausted all searched from USA. Again, I appreciate all the help you have posted here.

Roseanne
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:43 am      Post subject:

If she primarily spoke German and just a little Polish, then her family may have been recent colonists to Poland. I would suggest Looking for the Evangelical church records for Kosobudy and Gmina Brusy. Germany was primarily Protestant at the time and as recent colonists, they would have attended the local Evangelical parish. It is also possible she was born in Germany proper before her family migrated to Poland.

I looked for years for my great grandmother’s family in Prussian Poland and finally found them when I expanded the search to Evangelical parish books. It is worth checking them out.

I provided the Family Search link above for the Evangelical parish in Kosobudy - but they are not digitized. You would need to contact them and see if they will ship the film to a research center near you.

Another website that contains Evangelical records is Archion:

https://www.archion.de/en/the-portal/

I don’t know if they have yours. First, you have to understand the administrative divisions of the Prussian Empire to locate the Brusy and Kosobudy parishes. Then, you can look on the Archion site for free to see if the books are available. If they are available, you have to pay to subscribe for a month to get access. The site also has a tab to change language to English. It takes some work, but is another option.

Good luck,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
roseanne

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:04 pm      Post subject:

Thanks, those are excellent tips I haven't heard from others. If the family did originate in Germany, would there be a cluster of surnames in one location? I suspected she might be Lutheran or Protestant, even though the newer generations were raised Catholic. I do have a few birth records from the Catholic Church in Sobieski, WI and just assumed that would be the avenue to search. I have a family history center only a few miles from my house; I can get help from those folks to navigate their system. When in Poland last year, I did see the Catholic Church in Brusy, but no church in Zalesie or Kosobudy. So I will get to work on the info you provided and thanks so very much. Roseanne.
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:21 pm      Post subject:

Here is the Archion page that includes Westpreussen and specifically the district of Ev Church near Kosobudy - Freidrichbruch....

Ostgebiete: evang. zentralarchiv Berlin.......Kreis Konitz....Friedrichbruch....

https://www.archion.de/de/browse/?no_cache=1&path=121390-697962-698151#https://www.archion.de/de/browse/?no_cache=1&path=3-664576-664577

Cynthia
Send e-mail
roseanne

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:34 pm      Post subject:

Cynthia, Dziękuję Ci and/or Vielen Dank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: