PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Jaryczow Nowy
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
cath wrote:
That Michaels' father is Antonius. His mother is Frances, daughter of Casimir and Agnes Orlowski. Antonius's job (condition) is "teator" but i do not know what that translates to.
It is the Greek Catholic Church. All the records are online at your LDS center at 5401 St Joe Road. If you think you will go, I will tell you how to navigate their website to get to the records.

Dave & Cath,

If you don’t mind some unsolicited input…The status/condition/occupation of the father (Antoni) is tector, tectoris which has several meanings. He was a roofer or a plasterer or a tiler. The root of the word is tectum which means “roof” or “ceiling”, and is a substantive from the perfect participle of the verb tego, tegere, texi, tectum which means “to cover”. Hence the three occupations which all involve “covering”.

Hoping that you find the input useful,

Dave

Dave,

Thank you for the explanation as to the meaning of "tector". I'm very happy to learn anything and everything about my ancestors. But are you sure that it doesn't mean, "king", or "most high exalted one"? Smile

Another Dave
dorzechowicz

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:20 pm      Post subject:

dorzechowicz wrote:

Dave,

Thank you for the explanation as to the meaning of "tector". I'm very happy to learn anything and everything about my ancestors. But are you sure that it doesn't mean, "king", or "most high exalted one"? Smile

Another Dave

Or even better, "Bearer of lance and wearer of eagle feathers"!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:39 pm      Post subject:

dorzechowicz wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
cath wrote:
That Michaels' father is Antonius. His mother is Frances, daughter of Casimir and Agnes Orlowski. Antonius's job (condition) is "teator" but i do not know what that translates to.
It is the Greek Catholic Church. All the records are online at your LDS center at 5401 St Joe Road. If you think you will go, I will tell you how to navigate their website to get to the records.

Dave & Cath,

If you don’t mind some unsolicited input…The status/condition/occupation of the father (Antoni) is tector, tectoris which has several meanings. He was a roofer or a plasterer or a tiler. The root of the word is tectum which means “roof” or “ceiling”, and is a substantive from the perfect participle of the verb tego, tegere, texi, tectum which means “to cover”. Hence the three occupations which all involve “covering”.

Hoping that you find the input useful,

Dave

Dave,

Another Dave

Dave,

I suppose you could see tector as “most high exalted one” depending on th height of the building on which he was working and I can see the stuff about eagle feathers if some eagles flew over the roof (but they may have deposited more than feathers on him) but I have doubts about the lance.

...On to more serious stuff...Dave & Cath, The other info in the record includes the name of the midwife (Obstetrix) and the priest who did the baptism. Both entries are “ut supra” (“as above”) so their names appear in the first entry on the page. The status of the sponsors, commonly known as godparents, was tector/roofer, etc. for the male sponsor (Stefan) and uxor tectoris/wife of the roofer, etc. for the female sponsor (Anna).

When Cath wrote that the records are from the Greek Catholic Parish Church that does not mean the parish was ORTHODOX. It was CATHOLIC. Within the Catholic Church there are 24 Rites/Churches. The largest is the Latin/Roman Rite/Church but there are 23 more and those Churches are just as “Catholic” as the Roman/Latin Rite. The Greek Catholic Church in Jaryczów Nowy is part of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Rite/Church which has over 4.5 million members worldwide. Currently the parish is part of the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Lviv (Lwów in Polish) and the town is known as Novyi Yarychiv in Lviv Oblast, Ukraine. I couldn’t find the name of the patron saint of the parish but did find a picture (attached) of the church. The contemporary chuch building was consecrated in 1855 but was damaged by fire in 1872 and renovated in 1875. In 1881 the town of Jaryczów Nowy had a Roman/Latin Catholic parish church and a Greek/Ukrainian Catholic parish church with 636 Roman Catholic parishioners and 770 Greek Catholic parishioners. Although the town is currently in Ukraine, from the end of WWI until WWII it was part of the Second Polish Republic. From after the First Partition in 1772 until 1918 it was under Austrian rule ans was part of Galicia. Prior to 1772, it was part of Województwo Ruskie of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów).

Elżbieta has relatives from that general area and is much more familiar with researching in that area so perhaps she will be able to provide more details and clarifications, if she reads this post.

Anyway, I hope you find this background info useful.

Dave

Screenshot-2017-11-12 novyiYarychiv_cerkvaUspenia JPG (JPEG Image, 800 × 600 pixels).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  807.43 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screenshot-2017-11-12 novyiYarychiv_cerkvaUspenia JPG (JPEG Image, 800 × 600 pixels).png

dorzechowicz

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:07 pm      Post subject:

Dave,

Thank you so much for so much detailed information! Of course, these people may end up not being my relatives (but really, it's Orzechowicz, not Nowak! ????), but it is very exciting for a newbie like me to learn about my past, so I will remain optimistic.

Thank you both for all of your kind help, Cath and Dave!
dorzechowicz

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:00 am      Post subject:

cath wrote:

Sending you an email, Cath.

-Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: