PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:28 pm      Post subject: GREAT GRANDPARENTS ZWIENCZYCA

I am currently researching my great grandparents.
My great grandparent were Jan Polchlopek & Katarzyna Szubert.
They lived in a town called ZWIENCZYCA in Poland.
I know they had 3 children but I suspect there were more.
Is there a way to find out if there were more than 3 children?

Does Poland have some kind of Census like in the United States.
If Poland does have a Census & it goes back far enough it would answer
my question.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Gary Polchlopek
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4190

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:42 pm      Post subject: Re: GREAT GRANDPARENTS ZWIENCZYCA

garyp wrote:
I am currently researching my great grandparents.
My great grandparent were Jan Polchlopek & Katarzyna Szubert.
They lived in a town called ZWIENCZYCA in Poland.
I know they had 3 children but I suspect there were more.
Is there a way to find out if there were more than 3 children?

Does Poland have some kind of Census like in the United States.
If Poland does have a Census & it goes back far enough it would answer
my question.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Gary Polchlopek

Maybe You should ask Rzeszów State Archives to help You. Here is their email address:

[email protected]

They can do a research for You.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
garyp

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:24 am      Post subject:

My E-mail server will not let me connect to that web site!

1) Do you have the address for state archives in Rzeszow?
2) Does Poland have any type of Census system?

Thanks for your help
Gary Polchlopek
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:43 pm      Post subject:

Hello Gary

1) The homepage of Rzeszow archive is here
http://www.rzeszow.ap.gov.pl/

2) Poland has census systems, different in different political systems which have ruled over here. So it is not so clear as in The States. Additionaly, many historical sources had been lost, many are scaterred beetwin different institusions. That is why it is very important to give information on location and rough estimated period of time as well as denomination of ancestors if it is known, obviously.

Polchlopek is surname of polish origin so I guess syblings of your grandparents might have been of catholic denomination. Gary, tell me when your great grandparents were born and took marriage or how do you estimate the period of time they could have children so that I could give you more precize information then this below.

Information you needed you might find in vital books collected in: The State Archive in Rzeszow (they have got census of baptized in Zwienczyca for period of 1889 - 1910) or The Registry Office in Rzeszow or The Archive of Diocese of Rzeszow or the parish office of Zwienczyca. Depend of the period they might have been in each of them.

You may also find and complete the information here: indexes of boys and girls born in Rzeszow and its vicinity (Zwienczyca had been next to Rzeszow, now it is part of it) 1913 - 1938 and here: Index of pupils of the school of Zwienczyca born 1901 - 1941 (they grades too).

There are also a few general censuses for Rzeszow but Zwienczyca used to be then a separate village.

Piotrek
garyp

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:48 pm      Post subject:

Piotrek,
I was on the web site you refered me to but it is all in Polish & my Polish is very bad!!
I do not know what year my great grandparents were married but you are right they were catholic.
I can tell you what I do know. I know they had at least 3 children:

Name Date of Birth
Franciszek 1878 He is my grandfather
Antoni 1883
Aniela 1872

I hope this will help you. My gut feeling is there were more children.
I've hit a lot of brick walls trying to do this research & I'm hoping you may have some new answers
for me.
I really appreciate you helping me.
Gary Polchlopek
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:51 pm      Post subject:

Gary,
That means that you must search for the information in vital books.

One set of vital books of baptized is available in the State Archive in Rzeszow:
Księga urodzeń - rzymsko - katolicka, dotyczy Zwięczycy 1889-1910
Book of born - romancatholic, regard to Zwięczyca, period 1889 - 1910, reference code: 59/1132/0/-/9

But this is not enough, as you need to check out previous years, too. Then, all born in Zwięczyca were registered in vital books of baptized ran by parish church of Rzeszow.
These books are to be kept in the Archdiocese Archive in Przemysl, at least for period of 1826 - 1881. There might be also missing years of 1882 - 1888. Unfortunately, there are no current publication on the archive repository.
Web site of the archive is only in Polish so I send You just their e-mail: [email protected]

Read this text below
https://blog.polishorigins.com/genealogy-research-in-western-galicia/#importantarchives
"The Diocese Archive in Przemyśl
This is another extremely important archive, but also difficult to access. The director is only willing to cooperate with several researchers. Others are not permitted access to the archive’s records. We are lucky that we are working with one of them, but still his capacity and availability is limited.
The archive has Roman Catholic records from over 300 parishes, mainly starting from 1826.
What is worth mentioning here is that the Church archives have copies, while the original books are usually still kept in the parishes, so there is always hope to reach them in one way or another."

However, it do not solve your issue I hope that help you a bit.

Good luck
Piotrek
garyp

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:02 pm      Post subject:

Piotrek,
I re-read your last forum reply multiple times to make sure I understood what you were telling me.

I looked at the vital records for Rzeszow on-line and there were no results for my last name.

I went on-line to www.przemysl.ap.gov.pl to search for my great grandparents & came up empty again.
While on www.przemysl.ap.gov.pl the search screen had a drop down box of names for records
that were digitized. Once again my great grandparents names were not on it.
That tells me that my great grandparents records were never digitized & are still written down on paper
in a book somewhere. How do things get digitized & then entered on that drop down box in that
Przemysl web site? I have sent a E-mail to the Przemysl web site asking for help.

In your last form reply you also said that only certain researchers have access to those Przemysl records
but you have access to a researcher that can get to those Przemysl records. Can this person help me?

You also stated in your last form reply that the records at Przemysl were copies and the originals would
be in the parish in Zwieczyca?
I do know that the baptismal record that I have for my grandfather is from a parish called St. Stanislaus.
I do not know if St. Stanislaus even exist anymore or how to contact that parish.

Does any of this make sense to you & do you have any other suggestions?
Gary Polchlopek
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:39 pm      Post subject:

Gary,
It has sens. The vital books of Zwięczyca which belonged to the parish of Rzeszow are not digitalized at all. I sent you in my last replay a title and reference cod of exact book (Book of born - Roman Catholic, regard to Zwięczyca, period 1889 - 1910, reference code: 59/1132/0/-/9).
This is link to this book, it is not digitalized so you couldn't look at this on-line but you checked out some other one
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1132/0/-/9#tabJednostka

There are two archives in Przemysl. You confused the State Archive in Przemysl www.przemysl.ap.gov.pl where you sent the message with the Diocese Archive in Przemysl which I had recomanded to you and provided you its e-mail adress [email protected]
This is web site of the Diocese Archive in Przemysl (only in Polish) http://archiwalna.przemyska.pl/duszp/start.php?go=diecezja/instytucje

The parish of Rzeszow is called St. Adalbert and Stanislaus so I presume that the baptismal record you have got is from this church. The church still exist and parish still operates. The web site as usual just in Polish http://www.diecezja.rzeszow.pl/2015/04/rzeszow-fara/

Gary, this is my concrete suggestions.
The files concerning Zwięczyca are not digitalized at all and I don't think so that You can find anythink about your family on-line.
I will try to phone to the parish of Rzeszow and ask them whether and of which period thay have got the original vital books of Zwięczyca. If they had I could make an appointment and check the books out in search of your ancestors.
I will also send you an e-mail on private massage to a researcher who cooperates with the diocese archive of Przemysl.

Piotrek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: