PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:56 pm      Post subject: Polish church stained glass window, 100 yr old reminant ?

We have recently acquired a stained glass window of 9 by 16 inches in a wood window frame.
In English it reads : In Polish on the window:
BAPTISM OF CHRIST CHRZEST CHRYSTUSA
SP. JAN POREMSKI SP. JAN POREMSKI
WIFE ANTONINA AND THE CHILDREN ZONA ANTONINA I DZIECI

It is estimated that it was made between 1880 and 1920 and is said to be a low fired paint style of stained glass. It is presumed to be the dedication portion of a larger window above which is likely to be the Baptism of Christ. It seems likely that it is from a church ruins or demolition. We found it at an antique mall and the vendor relates that it was acquired in a yard/garage sale in Charlotte, NC where the seller reported finding it in an attic there. We would be interested in receiving any information whatsoever about the window and family.
Thank you,
jerski
Charlotte, NC
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:18 pm      Post subject:

We would love to see a photo of this window. Can you post it here for us?
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:07 am      Post subject: Re: Polish church stained glass window, 100 yr old reminant

jerski wrote:
We have recently acquired a stained glass window of 9 by 16 inches in a wood window frame.
In English it reads : In Polish on the window:
BAPTISM OF CHRIST CHRZEST CHRYSTUSA
SP. JAN POREMSKI SP. JAN POREMSKI
WIFE ANTONINA AND THE CHILDREN ZONA ANTONINA I DZIECI

It is estimated that it was made between 1880 and 1920 and is said to be a low fired paint style of stained glass. It is presumed to be the dedication portion of a larger window above which is likely to be the Baptism of Christ. It seems likely that it is from a church ruins or demolition. We found it at an antique mall and the vendor relates that it was acquired in a yard/garage sale in Charlotte, NC where the seller reported finding it in an attic there. We would be interested in receiving any information whatsoever about the window and family.
Thank you,
jerski
Charlotte, NC

Hello jerski,
This is definitely an interesting find! I used to go to fleemarkets for many many years and was always fascinated by the interesting old things that one could find there. I have an old bible that was sold at a Chicago flee market. It is in German, but was printed in the United States. I assume it belonged to a German immigrant family, and one of the children or grandchildren sold it. One can see that there was a photo on the first page, but it was taken out, and I often asked myself who the bible may have belonged to and what a story this old book could tell.

In the 1930 US Census I found a John Poremski, 38 ys old, whose wife's name was Anthonia. John and Anthonia Poremski were both 38 ys old at the time, lived in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan, and had six children: John, Joe, Stanley, Helen, Lucyna, and Anna. John Poremski's place of birth and that of his parents was Poland, his year of immigration to the US was 1913.
See https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X79L-B29
Source: "United States Census, 1930," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X79L-B29 : accessed 14 May 2012), John Poremski, Detroit (Districts 0251-0500), Wayne, Michigan

The only Poremski who immigrated through Elllis Island in 1913 was a Dyonicy Poremski from "Scimush", Russia, single, 20 years old (which means he was born abt. 1893, and this would agree with the age of the above John Poremski who was 38 ys old in 19130, thus born abt. 1892). He joined a cousin Jan Dankiewiz in Jersey City in 1913:
First Name: Dyonicy
Last Name: Poremski
Ethnicity: Russia, Polish
Last Place of Residence: Scimush, Russia
Date of Arrival: Sep 09, 1913
Age at Arrival: 20y
Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Zeeland
Port of Departure: Antwerp
Manifest Line Number: 0026
Source: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924.

Of course one could try to find out more about the above John Poremski family who lived in Detroit in 1930, e.g. where the couple got married, where they both originally came from, the children's birth and possible death dates, and so on. But this John Poremski family is just one of many many other possibilities where the window you have may have come from. I don't want to discourage you, but you may never be able to find an answer to this mystery. As Shellie said, we would love to see a picture of the window!
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:10 am      Post subject: Re: Polish church stained glass window, 100 yr old reminant

Quote:
... other possibilities where the window you have may have come from. I don't want to discourage you, but you may never be able to find an answer to this mystery

I think this refers to the death of Jan, as SP. is the abbreviation for "spoczywaj w pokoju" which means "rest in peace". So Jan believed in the Baptism Of Christ, RIP Jan Poręmski. [from] wife Antonina and children. Possibly a memorial made on stained glass to honor her husband.

*(correction ś.p. means: świętej pamięci meaning "holy memory". Thanks Haloosia!)

Last edited by Bill Rushin on Sat May 19, 2012 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
jerski

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:25 pm      Post subject:

Thank you all for your replies and info.
I can't figure out how to attach a picture of the window yet but I will keep trying. I have to reduce it below 2mb before it will attach, it is jpeg.
I had found that a Jan Poremski, age 23, came through Ellis in 1905 on June 02 and his residence was listed as Podegrodzie, Poland. I wonder if he could be the subject of the window or some relative. This town is in the Diocese of Tarnow where they have 2 current churches: 1, St Jacob Apostle and 2, Visitation of Blessed Mary Virgin. I don't know how or who to try to contact at the Diocese to see if any of this info on window might make sense regarding a church they might have had at one time. I would apprciate anyone passing this info on anywhere that might know better how to research.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:11 am      Post subject:

jerski wrote:
Thank you all for your replies and info.
I can't figure out how to attach a picture of the window yet but I will keep trying. I have to reduce it below 2mb before it will attach, it is jpeg.
I had found that a Jan Poremski, age 23, came through Ellis in 1905 on June 02 and his residence was listed as Podegrodzie, Poland. I wonder if he could be the subject of the window or some relative. This town is in the Diocese of Tarnow where they have 2 current churches: 1, St Jacob Apostle and 2, Visitation of Blessed Mary Virgin. I don't know how or who to try to contact at the Diocese to see if any of this info on window might make sense regarding a church they might have had at one time. I would apprciate anyone passing this info on anywhere that might know better how to research.

jerski,
I imagine a stained glass window is pretty heavy and hard to carry. I know everything is possible, but I can't imagine that an emigrant would take such a glass window with him on the long trip to the United States. The journey to the port of departure alone was often long and difficult, and I assume emigrants took just the most important things along when they left.
jerski

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:25 am      Post subject:

Hi All,
I think I have the window picture reduced in pixels for attachment. So lets see.

Stained window dedic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  368.12 KB
 Viewed:  28259 Time(s)

Stained window dedic.jpg

Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:31 am      Post subject:

jerski wrote:
Hi All,
I think I have the window picture reduced in pixels for attachment. So lets see.

jerski,
I'm glad you managed to upload the picture of the glass window. That is beautiful! I'm just wondering where would such a window come from?? I assume it came from a church, but which one? I just read an online article that reports about a stained glass memorial that was made in memory of people who served in the parish: http://www.stpatrickscork.com/originalsketchchurch.htm
"The stained glass includes work by Hubert McGoldrick, 'Baptism of Christ' in the old baptistery (1924); 'Our Lady of Lourdes' by the Early Studio, in memory of Mrs Frank Sheedy (1941); and two windows high over the sanctuary in memory of Mr and Mrs Michael Lynch (1942). 'The Risen Christ with Angels' by Ethel Rhind a member of An Túr Gloine (1908) is in Opus Sectile in the mortuary, a style of painted fused glasswork developed in Victorian times.

A plaque in the mortuary commemorates Fr. Patrick William Coffey C.C. who served for 11 years in the parish "until the fatal year of the famine-fever when he fell victim to the contagion caught while attending the dying bed of a patient" and died on 17th June 1847.

The fine glass screen dividing the mortuary from the main church was erected in 1906 in memory of a former parish priest Dean Denis McSwiney and is believed to be by the firm of Oscar Patterson from the Glasgow Arts and Crafts School."

What a mystery!
jerski

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:47 pm      Post subject:

Thank you much Ute,
I appreciate your thoughts and research. I agree that it is very unlikely that this could have been brought over by an emigrant. I am thinking, though, that it could otherwise have gotten over here later from Poland via relatives or such. I can't believe that it is from a church constructed here in the early 20th century with a polish congregation that has now since been torn down. But, I do know that a lot of churches have been decommissioned here in the last 20-30 years because of population shifts or expansions. I also know that a lot of art and furnishings have been recycled into new churches. Regardless, I am going to keep at it, seeing what I can find out.
jerski

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:08 pm      Post subject:

I would like to put this chain of emails out again to see if any new members have any ideas on the roots or possible connections to this window. Maybe there are family members who would like to have it as a memorial of part of their family. Thanks, Jerski
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:05 am      Post subject:

In Wheeling WV, St Ladislaus church was the main church for Polish speaking Catholics beginning in 1903. When it closed in the late 1980's, many of the stained glass windows and frames were sold. Most were made for founding members. My guess is that stained glass was from a church your ancestors supported. Find his 1910 census, and you probably find the area he was from before NC.
John
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:59 am      Post subject:

I think what you are trying to do is wonderful! Not your ancestor, right? Just that you have this window and want to know if descendants might like to have it?
On the PGSA.org website there is a database of church jubilee books. One listing is for an Antonina Poremski, on the "donor list" in Saint Ann's Parish in Jersey City, NJ in the year 1936. Why don't you see what you can find out about that parish, whether it closed, etc. and look for any Poremski family living in NJ through census records.
Good luck!
Sophia
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:31 pm      Post subject:

Jerski,

Richard Raymond via our Facebook page suggested that that it can be the bottom section of a larger window with figural composition of the Baptism of Christ by John the Baptist. See the full comment by Richard: https://www.facebook.com/PolishOrigins/posts/10153316749748900?comment_id=10153319801293900 .
Send e-mail
nfstev

Replies: 53

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:42 pm      Post subject:

Here is an image of the full St. Francis of Assisi stained glass window at St. Hedwig’s Parish in Gary, IN purchased by my family. The family surnames appear at the bottom of the picture similar to the one shown by Jerski. When the “new” church was built circa 1940, individuals and families from the parish purchased all of the stained glass windows.
The metal construction material by 1940 moved away from the use of wood in the window frame.
My home, built circa 1920, has stained and leaded glass windows with wooden frames. I am intimately familiar with this type of window from personally painstakingly removing paint and rebuilding them.

St. Hedwigs Church Gary Family Stainned Glass Window of St, Francis of Assisi.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.4 MB
 Viewed:  28259 Time(s)

St. Hedwigs Church Gary Family Stainned Glass Window of St, Francis of Assisi.jpg

jerski

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:49 am      Post subject: Thanks

Thank you nfstev, Zenon, Sophia and Starkey. These are good ideas and I will follow up especially with the lead for NJ. I will continue posting results here. I hope everybody reads the physical characteristics of the window. As an aside nfstev, I was raised in Gary, IN and graduated from Edison in 1958 after grade school at Sacred Heart in Tolleston area. I remember the name of St Hedwigs but not its location.
Thank you all,
Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: