PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:44 pm      Post subject: Searching for Krol, Gulcz, Feather and Gappa families

Looking for information and immigration records for the above surnames.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:28 pm      Post subject:

Please provide more information for each surname:
Given names
Approx dates of birth
Approx immigration year
Location (either in Poland or upon arriving in USA)
And any other details you can provide.
Send e-mail
sharcad1

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:22 am      Post subject: Searching for Krol, Gulcz, Feather and Gappa families

Not sure about immigration years for all.

Frank or Franciscus Kroll, born approx. 1873
Died in Presque Isle, Michigan, approx. 1931

Josephine Gulcz
Married Michal Kroll, born about 1842.

Antonius Gerhardus Paulus Feather, born about 1838, in Westphalia, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
Died in Presque Isle, Michigan, approx. 1885
Married Anna Antonia Feather-Jarmuzewski (born Gappa in 1837, died in 1909)

Michael Bernard Gappa, born approx 1810 (?)
Married Antonia Ugorek, born approx. 1833 in Soessnowd, Poland

Thank you for all help!
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:55 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I did some looking around in Ancestry.com and there is a lot of information for Frank Kroll (Konwinski). Frank was born in Michigan. His parents were Simon Konwinski and Josephine Golcz. Simon was born in 1848 in Poland, He immigrated to the USA in 1872 and married Josephine when he arrived. Their first son Frank was born in 1873. Simon (Szymon) last residence in Poland is shown as Czecenov on the passenger list.

I don’t know when or why he changed his name from Konwinski to Kroll.....

Do you have an Ancestry subscription?

Cynthia
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1026

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:47 am      Post subject: Re: Searching for Krol, Gulcz, Feather and Gappa families

sharcad1 wrote:
Not sure about immigration years for all.

Frank or Franciscus Kroll, born approx. 1873
Died in Presque Isle, Michigan, approx. 1931

Josephine Gulcz
Married Michal Kroll, born about 1842.

Antonius Gerhardus Paulus Feather, born about 1838, in Westphalia, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
Died in Presque Isle, Michigan, approx. 1885
Married Anna Antonia Feather-Jarmuzewski (born Gappa in 1837, died in 1909)

Michael Bernard Gappa, born approx 1810 (?)
Married Antonia Ugorek, born approx. 1833 in Soessnowd, Poland

Thank you for all help!

Hi,
You probably have discovered that there is no such place as Soessnowd, Poland. I would suggest it might be Sosnowiec. When looking for Antonia Ugorek, keep your eyes open for an alternative spelling of her surname, Ogórek. Your "Antonius Gerhardus Paulus Feather" seems to be taken from a record that was written in Latin. In his day-to-day life, he would not have called himself that. Anton Gerhard Paul would be his given names, one of which would have been his "call name," the name by which everyone addressed him. In a birth record, you might not be able to determine that, but if you see a marriage record or a death record in which one of those three names is underlined, then you'll know what name he went by.
Best of luck in your research,
Sophia
sharcad1

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:39 am      Post subject: Thank you!

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

I did some looking around in Ancestry.com and there is a lot of information for Frank Kroll (Konwinski). Frank was born in Michigan. His parents were Simon Konwinski and Josephine Golcz. Simon was born in 1848 in Poland, He immigrated to the USA in 1872 and married Josephine when he arrived. Their first son Frank was born in 1873. Simon (Szymon) last residence in Poland is shown as Czecenov on the passenger list.

I don’t know when or why he changed his name from Konwinski to Kroll.....

Do you have an Ancestry subscription?

Cynthia

Good Morning Cynthia,

Thank you for your help, every little bit helps! I do not have an Ancestry.com subscription, but I do have a heritage.com subscription and I also use Family Search from time to time. I do use Ancestry once in a while at the local library, but of course, now it is closed due to the virus...

What you have found may open up further clues, so it is much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Sharon

P.S. I have learned that the "Feather" family may actually be "Feder"...just an FYI!
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:26 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sharon,

There is a family tree on Ancestry.com managed by Christine Notel that has lots of information on your Konwinski/Kroll family. You might be able to view it without a subscription although you will not be able to download any of the documents or search for documents. But just viewing the information she has will be very helpful to you:

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/163896578/person/302138505584/facts

As I mentioned earlier, Frank Kroll/Konwinski was born in 1873 in Michigan. His parents were: Simon Konwinski and Josephine Gulcz. Simon Konwinski immigrated in 1872 (see attached passenger list) from Czeszewo, Posen, Prussia. Shortly after arrival, he married Josephine Gulcz (1872-73) and had their first son, Frank in 1873.

The Ancestry.com family tree has given me the correct information on the villages in Poland for Simon Konwinski and his family:

1. Parents of Simon (Szymon) Konwinski - Andrew (Andrzej) Konwinski and Rose (Rozalia) Strzyzynska - Per the Poznan Project database were married in
Catholic parish Łęgowo-Tarnowo [Lengowo]
entry 8 / 1844
• Andreas Konwiński (26 years old) 100%
• Rosalia Strzyżyńska (23 years old) 100%

Here is the Family Search link for online records available for browsing for Łęgowo parish (their marriage record can be found here):
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1040677?availability=Family%20History%20Library

2. Simon (Szymon) Konwinski was born in 1848. Use the Family Search link above to locate a copy of his birth record.

3. Rozalia Konwinski (Simon's mother) died in Czeszewo, Posen, Prussia, in 1871 just before he immigrated to USA. Here is the Family Search link for online records for parish of Czeszewo for copy of her death record:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/72696?availability=Family%20History%20Library

4. It seems that Andrew (Andrzej) Konwinski followed his son, Simon, to the USA after the death of his wife, Rozalia. Ancestry.com has land records for Andrew and Find A Grave has a memorial for him in Presque Isle, MI:
https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=60525&h=17713173&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=iWb10354&_phstart=successSource

I will attach some other records in separate posts, but here is Simon Konwinski's passenger list from 1872...

Cynthia

1872 Simon Konwinski passenger list.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  807.92 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1872 Simon Konwinski passenger list.jpg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:32 pm      Post subject:

attached is 1844 marriage record for Andrzej Konwinski and Rozalia Strzyzynski.

1844-8 Andreas Konwinski marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.27 MB

1844-8 Andreas Konwinski marriage.jpg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:32 pm      Post subject:

attached is 1848 birth record for Szymon Konwinski

1848 Szymon Konwinski birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.22 MB

1848 Szymon Konwinski birth.jpg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:33 pm      Post subject:

attached is 1871 death record for Rozalia Konwinski

1871 Rozalia Konwinski death.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.33 MB

1871 Rozalia Konwinski death.jpg

Send e-mail
sharcad1

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:48 pm      Post subject: Searching for Krol, Gulcz, Feather and Gappa families

Hello Again Cynthia,

Wow! You are a treasure trove of information! Thank you for attaching the documents and when I get a chance, I will check out all the Ancestry.com links you sent. I never thought I'd get this far in my search. Most importantly, now I know when this family came to the US.

Thanks again!
Sharon
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:59 pm      Post subject:

Hi again, Sharon,

Take all that I provided with a grain of salt.... I am still unsure how and why the Konwinski surname morphed to Kroll....
That link needs to be established before we can say with any assurance that the information I found is actually your family. All of the Ancestry.com information links the two surnames... but I have no idea why. So, hold all of this with some caution. I will keep looking to see if I can prove/disprove the link between surnames.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:36 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi again, Sharon,

Take all that I provided with a grain of salt.... I am still unsure how and why the Konwinski surname morphed to Kroll....
That link needs to be established before we can say with any assurance that the information I found is actually your family. All of the Ancestry.com information links the two surnames... but I have no idea why. So, hold all of this with some caution. I will keep looking to see if I can prove/disprove the link between surnames.

Cynthia

Hi Sharon & Cynthia,

There is a tree on Family Search. It is not managed by the same person as the one on Ancestry but you may find it useful if you can’t access the Ancestry tree.
Link to tree https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/9ZCR-4PP

The 1880 Census seems to link Frank to his parents Simon/Szymon & Josephine/Józefa
Link to 1880 Census which appears to connect Frank to Simon (Szymon) & wife Josephine Konwinski https://www.ancestryheritagequest.com/interactive/6742/4241741-00390?backurl=https%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestryheritagequest.com%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d6742%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing#?imageId=4241741-00405

Here is a link to the Marriage of son Andrew, which links the family to St. Casimir church, on Sept. 14, 1903 St. Casimir Church Posen, Presque Isle License issued Sept. 7, 1903 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DY7Q-F82?i=292&cc=1452395&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AN3DY-5MB
The parish is probably where family events took place. Here is a link to the parish & Cemetery According Kruszka’s Historya Polska w Ameryce, the parish was founded in 1876. Perhaps the parish priest or secretary can tell you where Poles attended church prior to that date, which could help you to find Frank’s birth & baptism record. The parish is probably where the funerals of Andrzej & Szymon took place and it is likely that they are buried in the parish cemetery. Here is a link to the first page of the entry for St. Casimir’s in Kruszka’s book on page 242, sequence 2001 https://iiif.lib.harvard.edu/manifests/view/drs:4256276$2001i

Contact info for St. Casimir Church http://www.dioceseofgaylord.org/member-804/st.-casimir-143.html
Looks like the parish has a cemetery and the priest & secretary get good reviews https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=_oKGXq6-AaOO9PwPxoSGuAU&q=st+casimir+catholic+church+posen+michigan&oq=st.+casimir+church+posen&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgCMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB46AggAOgUIABCDAToECAAQDVC2CVjVkgFg96sBaANwAHgAgAGfAYgB0RGSAQQyMi4zmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab

Here is a link to records for Simon Konwinski on Family Search https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?q.givenName=simon&q.surname=konwinski&q.residencePlace=posen%2C%20presque%20isle%2C%20michigan&count=20&offset=0&m.defaultFacets=on&m.queryRequireDefault=on&m.facetNestCollectionInCategory=on

Wishing you successful research,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: