PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:11 pm      Post subject: Evasked/Evaskett

It seems like an English version on a Polish/Russian name. My great, great grandfather came to the Uk and us listed on the census in Brighton in 1901 before moving to Ireland a few years later. They finally settled in Dundalk.

I am at a loss of what the name would be a version of to search in polish records. He was born in 1861 approx. And the census lists Poland and Russia as origin - I assume it was from Russian occupied Poland.

Any help in where to stat would be welcomed!
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1026

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:25 am      Post subject: Re: Evasked/Evaskett

Joanne Murray wrote:
It seems like an English version on a Polish/Russian name. My great, great grandfather came to the Uk and us listed on the census in Brighton in 1901 before moving to Ireland a few years later. They finally settled in Dundalk.

I am at a loss of what the name would be a version of to search in polish records. He was born in 1861 approx. And the census lists Poland and Russia as origin - I assume it was from Russian occupied Poland.

Any help in where to stat would be welcomed!

Hi Joanne,
Interesting puzzle!
Sometimes there is clear logic to how a name was changed, while in other cases it may be hard to understand the choice. One approach is to imagine that the spelling was changed in such a way that the pronunciation was reasonably close to the original. I will attempt this approach, here.
While there is no particular problem of having a Polish name begin with E, it is my guess that it is likely to begin with I. The letter I, in Polish, sounds like “ee” in English. The letter V is not part of the Polish alphabet (although it can be used when importing words from other languages) but the same sound of English V is made by Polish W. In looking at Polish surnames, you’ll find “SKI” as an ending on male surnames, but since your SK is in the midst of the name, I would go with SZK instead. What challenges me the most is your ending of –ED or –ETT. My best guess is that this ending is not part of the original name, but rather was chosen to further anglicize the name.
There are Polish surnames that begin with IWASZK- such as:
Iwaszkiewicz, Iwaszko, Iwaszków, Iwaszkowski.
There are others, somewhat farther afield from that starting point:
Iwaszek, Iwaszczyszyn, Iwaszczuk, Iwasiuk, Iwasieczko
And so on.
This is all speculation, really. It would be helpful to your search if you were able to determine the place where he was born. That is the most important clue towards finding a record of his birth/baptism. Do you have any document that shows this?
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Joanne Murray

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:20 pm      Post subject:

Thank so much for your reply.

No - we have details of marriage in England but that’s it, alongside the censuses- one in England and one in Ireland. It may remain a mystery but your information gives me something to work on.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:16 pm      Post subject:

You probably already know this- other family trees online with Joseph Evasked indicate he was born in Minsk, Belarus and his fathers name is Simon (per Roots Web, Ancestry, My Heritage, and Geni). The location was not based upon documents, but on family story from what I read.

To clarify your original post - did you say he was in the USA and UK?

If so, do you know about what year he may been in the USA?

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Joanne Murray

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:17 pm      Post subject:

I have seen this on ancestry - but couldn’t get anywhere further. The time he was born was at the time of the Polish revolt, so that why I think it was listed as Russia and Poland on one census, but just polish on the other. I feel as if he identified as Polish for this reason, have nothing to suggest Minsk but could be the border area which is now Belarus.

I am in the Uk - where he was as well, before heading to Ireland.

Thank you for replying
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: