PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:45 pm      Post subject: TYLKA

Trying to find family and parents of Tomas Tylka, born about 1874, arrived in New York 23 June 1898 on the Barbarossa. Went to Chicago then Wisconsin.
Has a brother named Andrew Joseph TYLKA born 1870, Rogoznik, Galicia, Austria.
looking for birth records if possible and what we can on this line of the family.
thank you,
Sherri
Texas
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:12 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sherri,

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, there are at least 3 different villages with the name Rogoznik in what was formerly called Galicia, Poland:

Rogoźnik, Lower Silesian Voivodeship (south-west Poland)
Rogoźnik, Lesser Poland Voivodeship (south Poland)
Rogoźnik, Silesian Voivodeship (south Poland)

Do you have any documents for your ancestors that provide further details... perhaps a Gmina (district) as well as a village?

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:01 pm      Post subject:

Hello again,

So I looked around a bit in Ancestry.com and found some documents for Tomas Andrew, but no further clues. Then, I found a passenger list for Joseph Tylka, born about 1869, arriving in 1892 destination Illinois. The place of birth shown on the passenger list for Joseph is "Novatark" which when spoken, sounds like Nowy Targ. There is a Rogoznik which is part of the Nowy Targ district. If you cannot find additional clues to narrow down the location, I suggest you begin your search for records in the Nowy Targ parish.

Also, you might want to review some previous posts from people researching Tylka surname in the Rogoznik, Nowy Targ area. Just use the search box at the top right of the website to locate previous posts in the forums. A place to begin is with this thread: https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=14869#14869

Perhaps other members of the forum will add to this line of investigation and provide further input.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:57 am      Post subject:

Hello Sherri,

Did Tomas (Tomasz) get married in the United States? If so do you know where? If you can figure out the parish, the marriage record should contain the names of his parents.

Diane
sherrisvfd

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:42 am      Post subject: Tomaz Tylka

Thomas Andrew Tylka on his Declaration of Intention just states Galicia but on the ship record it states Rogoznik, Nowy Targ District, Galicia, Austria. He married in Chicago but nothing about where either of them were originally from. They moved to Wisconsin and he received his naturalization in 1917, then died during the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918 with one of his sons. The obit for Thomas doesn't have any family info on it, nor does his paperwork for naturalization. There are other Tylka's that settled in Wisconsin that are DNA related but have not found how yet. We believe Thomas's father may have been Francis Tylka but no proof yet. Still thru all the obits I can find on Tylka's to find a connection. Thomas married Anna Dziedzic in 1907. I found her birth information in Zawada, Rzeszow, Poland. Will go thru and read all of the threads with Tylka. We do have a tree on Ancestry - Tylka Cendrick Family. Thank you for the advise. It is much appreciated.
Sherri in Texas
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:23 am      Post subject: Re: Tomaz Tylka

sherrisvfd wrote:
Thomas Andrew Tylka on his Declaration of Intention just states Galicia but on the ship record it states Rogoznik, Nowy Targ District, Galicia, Austria. He married in Chicago but nothing about where either of them were originally from. They moved to Wisconsin and he received his naturalization in 1917, then died during the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918 with one of his sons. The obit for Thomas doesn't have any family info on it, nor does his paperwork for naturalization. There are other Tylka's that settled in Wisconsin that are DNA related but have not found how yet. We believe Thomas's father may have been Francis Tylka but no proof yet. Still thru all the obits I can find on Tylka's to find a connection. Thomas married Anna Dziedzic in 1907. I found her birth information in Zawada, Rzeszow, Poland. Will go thru and read all of the threads with Tylka. We do have a tree on Ancestry - Tylka Cendrick Family. Thank you for the advise. It is much appreciated.
Sherri in Texas

Hi Sherri, Cynthia, & Diane,

The Rogoźnik near Nowy Targ is the place. Silesia had been lost to the Commonwealth well before the First Partition and during the 18th, 19th, and part of the 20th Centuries was under German control and thus was never part of Galicia.

If Tomasz was married to Anna Dziedziak (Dziedzic was probably what an English speaker would have written instead of Dziedziak.) his wedding was at St. John Cantius in Chicago on 16 July, 1907 and he is your guy. Here is the link to the entry: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6GKH-4ZG?i=442&wc=M66P-TZS%3A40008101%2C40650501&cc=1452409
His age is not entered but he was from Rogoźnik and his parents were Wojciech and Maryanna. Since the priest spoke Polish the info in the record is likely as accurate as you will find on this side of the pond.

According to the Słownik geograficzny the parish for Rogoźnik was in Ludźmierz. The records do not appear to be available online or in a Polish archive but here is a link to the parish contact info: http://www.mbludzm.pl/parafia

Wishing you success,

Dave
sherrisvfd

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:49 am      Post subject: Tylka wedding

Dave thank you so much for this info. That gives me the next generation back on Tylka.
You are awesome. I had looked in Chicago before and could not find it, only the index.
thanks, Sherri
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: