PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:29 am      Post subject: Grodno Roman Catholic parish records

Does anyone know if Grodno's (Belarus) Roman Catholic parish books are online anywhere? I can't seem to find them. There are many surrounding parishes, but none for Grodno itself. I need the 1700's. Thanks.
zefir454

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:01 pm      Post subject:

Unfortunately, the record books from Grodno have been online only since 1744.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:58 am      Post subject:

zefir454 wrote:
Unfortunately, the record books from Grodno have been online only since 1744.

Thanks zefir454. I need 1780's and 1790's. Are those years online anywhere?
zefir454

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:15 pm      Post subject:

Grodno had at least 11 parishes, including the cathedral parish. There are records of the Cathedral, Bernardine and Franciscan parishes available on the Internet. the oldest records are in the Franciscan parish. From 1749. If you enter what name it means, I will try to look for it.
Greetings
Jozef

starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:33 pm      Post subject:

zefir454 wrote:
Grodno had at least 11 parishes, including the cathedral parish. There are records of the Cathedral, Bernardine and Franciscan parishes available on the Internet. the oldest records are in the Franciscan parish. From 1749. If you enter what name it means, I will try to look for it.
Greetings
Jozef

Thank you zefir454. The name I am looking for is Adam Spiżarny (sometimes also spelled Szpiżarny, Spiżarnia, etc.), born about 1792, son of Jan and Maryanna. Or any other members of the Spiżarny family.

I have found some of them South of Grodno, near the parishes of Indura and Świsłocz Górna. Adam's 1822 marriage record claims he was born in "Jendory" (which I suspect is Indura). But he could not produce a baptismal certificate proving he was actually born there. I have checked the records of Indura parish for his birth, but could not find it there. I could not find those years available for Świsłocz Górna parish, so I could not check for his birth there.

But Adam's 1854 death record says he was born in Grodno itself. I'm not sure if they meant Grodno the city, or the general district of Grodno.

I must also admit, I am confused about the differences between Roman Catholic, Bernardine, and Franciscan parishes. But I have a hunch he might have been baptized at the Cathedral. I believe that might be worth a look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: