PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:38 am      Post subject: Making sense of old records (Doroba family)

Hello, I get a few weeks off at this time of years so I get super involved with my research and then have to put it away for a year so I forget things I learned in making sense of records. I truly do appreciate the help from this forum!

I was sent the attached documents with a translation that doesn't quite make sense to me. I am trying to understand the flow of the way things were written but I get confused! I was looking for information on Rose Doroba. I have information on her stateside, including the entry on the ship to Ellis Island.
The ship manifest says; line #15 Doroba Rozalia -From Krzywa p. Sedziszów Galicja, ojciec (father) Michał.

A person on a stateside research site sent these records with the following explanation. I still don't understand the explanation.

This is the explanation for the first record. Some make sense, but I am confused as to the relationships of the people;

No. 8, Rozalia Doroba born on in Krzywa, house number 178, 9 February 1896.
Parents: Michał Doroba, son of Kacper (Gaspar) and Tekla née Pilch
and Maria the daughter of Jacenty (Hiacynt) Lis and Teresa née Koza.
Baptized: February 10, 1896,
godfathers: Antoni Koza and Franciszka Rak (wife of Jan's farmer)

I appreciate your assistance!
Lori

D-1.5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  549.29 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

D-1.5.jpg

Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:55 am      Post subject: Re: Making sense of old records

Lori Love wrote:
Hello, I get a few weeks off at this time of years so I get super involved with my research and then have to put it away for a year so I forget things I learned in making sense of records. I truly do appreciate the help from this forum!

I was sent the attached documents with a translation that doesn't quite make sense to me. I am trying to understand the flow of the way things were written but I get confused! I was looking for information on Rose Doroba. I have information on her stateside, including the entry on the ship to Ellis Island.
The ship manifest says; line #15 Doroba Rozalia -From Krzywa p. Sedziszów Galicja, ojciec (father) Michał.

A person on a stateside research site sent these records with the following explanation. I still don't understand the explanation.

This is the explanation for the first record. Some make sense, but I am confused as to the relationships of the people;

Lori

Hi Lori,
You have a record for Rozalia Doroba.
Rozalia's father was Michal Doroba.
Rozalia's mother was Maria Lis.
Michal's father was Kacper Doroba and his mother was Tekla Pilch; these are Rozalia's paternal grandparents.
Maria's father was Jacenty Lis and her mother was Teresa Koza; these are Rozalia's maternal grandparents.
The person providing you with the explanation is trying to also give you some anglicized versions of names which might be more familiar to you (Kacper = Gaspar) and (Jacenty = Hiacynt) but my guess is that neither of these names is particularly familiar to you.
The sponsors (we commonly call them godparents) are a male, Antoni Koza, and a female, Franciszka Rak (and we learn that she is the wife of the farmer Jan Rak).
I hope this helps,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:05 am      Post subject: Re: Making sense of old records

Sophia wrote:
Lori Love wrote:

Lori

Hi Lori,
You have a record for Rozalia Doroba.
Rozalia's father was Michal Doroba.
Rozalia's mother was Maria Lis.
Michal's father was Kacper Doroba and his mother was Tekla Pilch; these are Rozalia's paternal grandparents.
Maria's father was Jacenty Lis and her mother was Teresa Koza; these are Rozalia's maternal grandparents.
The person providing you with the explanation is trying to also give you some anglicized versions of names which might be more familiar to you (Kacper = Gaspar) and (Jacenty = Hiacynt) but my guess is that neither of these names is particularly familiar to you.
The sponsors (we commonly call them godparents) are a male, Antoni Koza, and a female, Franciszka Rak (and we learn that she is the wife of the farmer Jan Rak).
I hope this helps,
Sophia

Hi Sophia & Lori,

The name Kacper is the Polish version of the name of one of the magi of legend (Casper, Melchior, and Balthazar), like in the seasonal song “We three Kings of Orient are…”. Gasparus is the Latin version and the English is Caspar, with the more usual modern English spelling of Casper (like in Casper the friendly ghost). Another English version is Jasper. The name, along with Melchior & Balthazar often was given to babies born in the early weeks of January, near the traditional date of the Feast of the Epiphany—January 6.

Saint Hyacinth was a Polish Dominican (born in the late 12th Century; died in the mid 13th Century). An earlier Saint Hyacinth lived during the 3rd Century. The Polish versions of the name are Jacenty and Jacek. The Latin is Hyacinthus (also spelled Hiacinthus) and the English is Hyacinth, like the name of the flower and of Hyacinth Bucket of the British Comedy “Keeping Up Appearances”. As a given name it is more popular in Poland than in English speaking countries.

The names are examples of the fluidity of spelling of many given names.

Merry Christmas to both of you.

Dave
Lori Love

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:28 am      Post subject: Regarding Rose Doroba

Hi Sophia and Dave,
Thank you both for the wonderful information.
It's a small world when it comes to family trees.
About 6 weeks ago, a gal contacted me via email saying her family name was Doroba. She just started to work on the tree and didn't know what to do. She found my tree with Doroba members in Minnesota and my contact information. She wondered if we were related and if I knew Rose Doroba. The gal and her father knows nothing about their past.
Her grandfather was a son of Rose Doroba. All she knew is that Rose came from Poland, had 2 boys by different dads, and dropped the boys off at an orphanage in Pennsylvania when her grandfather was only 1 y/o and his half brother was 6 y/o. She said it haunted her grandfather 'till he died. Why did his mom leave him? What happened to her? Does he have any other family in the states? Her grandfather died back in 1987. He only had one child, her father, who has always talked about how nice it would have been to know if he has a family.
So, the gal contacted me, through one of the on-line sites, and wanted to know if I knew about Rose. That started me searching for her. I found out a lot.
After dropping the 2 boys off at the orphanage in 1920, a few years later she was pregnant again and still unmarried. The baby was premature and died right away. A year later she got married. She was pregnant again, this time with twins. Again, she had a premature delivery, both babies died. The next day, Rose died, at age 30, officially from pneumonia. Tragic story!
I haven't found a connection from my grandmother (Zofia Doroba) to Rose yet but I think I will eventually as they lived so close. Rose was from Krzywa, (born in 1896) and my grandmother was from Olchowa, (born 1897). Their villages were 5.8 km apart (It appears the same village names are used all over Poland. Their villages are by Sędziszów Małopolski)
Since I now know Rose had siblings, I will research if they came to the states.
Now I need the earlier records from before 1890. According to Family Search, they are only in Salt Lake City. Perhaps either of you knows of access through another place?
Again, thank you both for your information.
Merry Christmas,
Lori
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:38 am      Post subject: Re: Regarding Rose Doroba

Lori Love wrote:
Hi Sophia and Dave,
Thank you both for the wonderful information.
It's a small world when it comes to family trees.
About 6 weeks ago, a gal contacted me via email saying her family name was Doroba. She just started to work on the tree and didn't know what to do. She found my tree with Doroba members in Minnesota and my contact information. She wondered if we were related and if I knew Rose Doroba. The gal and her father knows nothing about their past.
Her grandfather was a son of Rose Doroba. All she knew is that Rose came from Poland, had 2 boys by different dads, and dropped the boys off at an orphanage in Pennsylvania when her grandfather was only 1 y/o and his half brother was 6 y/o. She said it haunted her grandfather 'till he died. Why did his mom leave him? What happened to her? Does he have any other family in the states? Her grandfather died back in 1987. He only had one child, her father, who has always talked about how nice it would have been to know if he has a family.
So, the gal contacted me, through one of the on-line sites, and wanted to know if I knew about Rose. That started me searching for her. I found out a lot.
After dropping the 2 boys off at the orphanage in 1920, a few years later she was pregnant again and still unmarried. The baby was premature and died right away. A year later she got married. She was pregnant again, this time with twins. Again, she had a premature delivery, both babies died. The next day, Rose died, at age 30, officially from pneumonia. Tragic story!
I haven't found a connection from my grandmother (Zofia Doroba) to Rose yet but I think I will eventually as they lived so close. Rose was from Krzywa, (born in 1896) and my grandmother was from Olchowa, (born 1897). Their villages were 5.8 km apart (It appears the same village names are used all over Poland. Their villages are by Sędziszów Małopolski)
Since I now know Rose had siblings, I will research if they came to the states.
Now I need the earlier records from before 1890. According to Family Search, they are only in Salt Lake City. Perhaps either of you knows of access through another place?
Again, thank you both for your information.
Merry Christmas,
Lori

Hi Lori,
A tragic life story, indeed.
Regarding your queston of where else to find records, could you tell me which town has the Polish church you want to look at records for?
Best wishes for a very merry Christmas,
Sophia
Lori Love

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:00 pm      Post subject: The Doroba Family

My grandmother was Sofia Doroba, born 25 January 1897 in Olchowa, Sielec, Seziszow, Poland. She came to the states in 1913 to live with her sister who was already in Minneapolis. Her sister was Michaeline Doroba who had married Stanley Kadziolka from Mokrzyska, Brzesko, Małopolska, Poland.

Question-What is more correct? Olchowa, Ropczyce, Rzeszów, Poland...or...Olchowa, Sielec, Seziszow, Poland

(Story of interest-My grandmother met her new brother-in-law. She met his brother, Jan, and married him. The two sisters and their brother-husbands bought houses a few blocks from each other and lived in them their whole lives until they died.)

I know all about the Doroba family that was born in Olchowa came to the states and their children. They include;
John-BN 18 June 1880
Kataryna-BN 20 February 1885
Michaeline-BN 25 April 1892

I know a little about the children that stayed in Poland. They are;
Marianna-BN 26 July 1882
Magdalena-BN 20 October 1887
Jozef-BN 2 June 1890
Stanislaw-BN 17 November 1894
Antonina-BN 28 June 1900

The parents of all these children, my great grandparents, were-
Andrezja Doroba-BN-24 November 1847, Died-31 October 1929 in Olchowa, Sielec, Seziszow, Poland
He was the son of Jakuba Doroba and Katarzyna Majka
Ludwika Przybek-BN-23 March 1857, Died-10 Feb 1928 in Olchowa, Sielec, Seziszow, Poland
She was the daughter of Jakuba Przybek and Marcelina Wolek

I know of other Doroba people who were friends of my grandmother but not in the tree as I know. I believe they were cousins as I am sure that Andrezja and Ludwika had brothers and sisters who had children.
I put together a tree of Doroba people that settled in Pennsylvania who came from villages close by but I can't connect them.
What I need to find out are the other children of Jakuba Doroba and Katarzyna Majka and Jakuba Przybek and Marcelina Wolek.

The church records are in Salt Lake City but not on-line. One person in a Facebook group said I can access the records on-line through a site in Poland. She gave me a link and found my grandmother's record of birth. I asked her how I can access the records and her explanation was mostly in Polish and doesn't make sense to me.
This is the link she gave me-
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1242/0/-/8/skan/full/ntP5qVh00anymNp2qgDJRw?fbclid=IwAR1gxhoZES5vP2msIGulGSK-DGY_AW6c7vgWM8Bfj82b9wiN-T-9LLSjPo0

https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1242/0?fbclid=IwAR1J_tOoKC6AbnXhSkyV-4IMMRLCkFXTjIgdbUoXCGneWffdT5jlRL0k2Xk#tabJednostki

The instructions I was given was; Search “Księga urodzin, małżeństw, zgonów z miejscowości : Sędziszów, Sędziszów Przedmieście, Będziemyśl, Boreczek, Borek Mały, Borek Wielki, Iwierzyce, Kawęczyn, Klęczany, Olchowa, Sielec, Wolica Ługowa, Wolica Piaskowa”. At top, I copy the “Akta yada, yada Polish words that end with “w/Lomza””. I put that in the search block (clearing out previous search) and then edit in my parish name.

I have such a hard time reading any of the records. I see my grandmother's name, Zofia, in the middle. It seems like there are more father's listed as Doroba than just for my grandmother.
I am not sure what is the correct spelling for any of the people anymore! Some records say Ludwika and some stateside records list her as Ludvina.

Any assistance you have to offer is appreciated. I only know English. At least I know cursive...imagine the future where kids are not being taught cursive anymore!
My sincerest thanks!
Lori
Send e-mail
Kim K

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:45 pm      Post subject: Re: The Doroba Family

Lori Love wrote:
My grandmother was Sofia Doroba, born 25 January 1897 in Olchowa, Sielec, Seziszow, Poland. She came to the states in 1913 to live with her sister who was already in Minneapolis. Her sister was Michaeline Doroba who had married Stanley Kadziolka from Mokrzyska, Brzesko, Małopolska, Poland.

Question-What is more correct? Olchowa, Ropczyce, Rzeszów, Poland...or...Olchowa, Sielec, Seziszow, Poland

I think generally things are listed from smallest to largest administrative unit. And it will also depend on the year and type of record... Wikis and maps give:

Olchowa and Sielec are neighboring villages.
Today, Ropczyce appears to the seat of the powiat Ropczycko-Sędziszowski that contains those villages.
They were in the województwo of Rzeszów until 1998 but now part of Podkarpackie.

However the wiki.pl notes that historically there was also a gmina Olchowa so not sure if that explains why both village names appear together.

Sędziszowie is also listed as the parish for Sielec today and historically, seen here: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_X/532 which also notes that Sielec borders Olchowa)

Lori Love wrote:

The church records are in Salt Lake City but not on-line. One person in a Facebook group said I can access the records on-line through a site in Poland. She gave me a link and found my grandmother's record of birth. I asked her how I can access the records and her explanation was mostly in Polish and doesn't make sense to me.
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1242/0/-/8/skan/full/ntP5qVh00anymNp2qgDJRw?fbclid=IwAR1gxhoZES5vP2msIGulGSK-DGY_AW6c7vgWM8Bfj82b9wiN-T-9LLSjPo0

https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1242/0?fbclid=IwAR1J_tOoKC6AbnXhSkyV-4IMMRLCkFXTjIgdbUoXCGneWffdT5jlRL0k2Xk#tabJednostki

The instructions I was given was; Search “Księga urodzin, małżeństw, zgonów z miejscowości : Sędziszów, Sędziszów Przedmieście, Będziemyśl, Boreczek, Borek Mały, Borek Wielki, Iwierzyce, Kawęczyn, Klęczany, Olchowa, Sielec, Wolica Ługowa, Wolica Piaskowa”. At top, I copy the “Akta yada, yada Polish words that end with “w/Lomza””. I put that in the search block (clearing out previous search) and then edit in my parish name.

I have such a hard time reading any of the records. I see my grandmother's name, Zofia, in the middle. It seems like there are more father's listed as Doroba than just for my grandmother.
I am not sure what is the correct spelling for any of the people anymore! Some records say Ludwika and some stateside records list her as Ludvina.
Lori

Not sure if it helps but the line they gave you translates to: "Books of births, marriages, deaths from the place of:"

I've seen records which are neatly organized and will have the notes "child of" "widow of" "nee" separating all the names and other times it will just be a jumble of names that appear to be top-down in the box, ie: Józef (son of), Mateusz + surname and Anna suchandsuch surname. The other fun part is what language the record is in compared to the language of the region. I search for name translation lists sometimes.

Good luck.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:44 pm      Post subject: Re: The Doroba Family

Lori Love wrote:

(Story of interest-My grandmother met her new brother-in-law. She met his brother, Jan, and married him. The two sisters and their brother-husbands bought houses a few blocks from each other and lived in them their whole lives until they died.)

I know all about the Doroba family that was born in Olchowa came to the states and their children. They include;
John-BN 18 June 1880
Kataryna-BN 20 February 1885
Michaeline-BN 25 April 1892

I know a little about the children that stayed in Poland. They are;
Marianna-BN 26 July 1882
Magdalena-BN 20 October 1887
Jozef-BN 2 June 1890
Stanislaw-BN 17 November 1894
Antonina-BN 28 June 1900

The parents of all these children, my great grandparents, were-
Andrezja Doroba-BN-24 November 1847, Died-31 October 1929 in Olchowa, Sielec, Seziszow, Poland
He was the son of Jakuba Doroba and Katarzyna Majka
Ludwika Przybek-BN-23 March 1857, Died-10 Feb 1928 in Olchowa, Sielec, Seziszow, Poland
She was the daughter of Jakuba Przybek and Marcelina Wolek

I know of other Doroba people who were friends of my grandmother but not in the tree as I know. I believe they were cousins as I am sure that Andrezja and Ludwika had brothers and sisters who had children.
I put together a tree of Doroba people that settled in Pennsylvania who came from villages close by but I can't connect them.
What I need to find out are the other children of Jakuba Doroba and Katarzyna Majka and Jakuba Przybek and Marcelina Wolek.

Any assistance you have to offer is appreciated. I only know English. At least I know cursive...imagine the future where kids are not being taught cursive anymore!
My sincerest thanks!
Lori

Hi Lori,

When you click on the second link you were given (https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1242/0?fbclid=IwAR1J_tOoKC6AbnXhSkyV-4IMMRLCkFXTjIgdbUoXCGneWffdT5jlRL0k2Xk#tabJednostki ) on the far right you see dates and number of scans. Pick the year you want and click on the number in the number of scans column. Then just browse through the images until you find Olchowa. Then look for Andreas Doroba in the “Pater” column. As far as I can see that probably is the easiest way to search. Note that for some years marriages and deaths are included in last few scans..

Here is the link to the birth & baptism of Zofia’s younger sister Antonina. The record is on the right page and is #30 for the village of Olchowa. The number is in the dark/shadowed region in the first column on the far left of the page: https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1242/0/-/11/skan/full/-wWZeCQNyvqm49RylXPqjg
Here is the link to her older sister Michalina 1892 entry #20): https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1242/0/-/3/skan/full/mBfJtQih5RNsx4j6UahWQw
Here is the link to older brother Józef (1890 entry #4): https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1242/0/-/1/skan/full/mBfJtQih5RNsx4j6UahWQw
Here is the link to Stanisław (1894 entry #35): https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1242/0/-/5/skan/full/OsroS4EZFRpONHzsz4jmOw

Regarding the name problem...These records (and all records from what was Galicia aka the Austrian Partition) are in Latin so that is how the given names are entered. (Surnames are in the vernacular, in this case Polish.) Be aware that both Latin & Polish are inflected languages which means that every Latin noun has 6 endings in the singular and 6 in the plural and every Polish noun has 7 endings in the singular and 7 in the plural. In records such as those you need you will only be dealing with two endings—the Nominative (the subject case) and the Genitive (the case of possession). If you take Jacobus as an example, Jacobus is the Nominative (Subject) form and Jacobi is the Genitive (Possessive) form. The Nominative translates into Polish as Jakub and the Genitive translates into Polish as Jakuba (of Jakub). Both Latin & Polish have Nominative and Genitive Cases. This is important because your great-grandfather was Andrzej (not Andrzeja, which would mean “of Andrzej”) Doroba and your great, great-grandfather was Jakub (not Jakuba, which would mean “of Jakub”) Doroba.

Anyway I’ll translate you grandmother’s birth & baptism record and then provide a template which you can use for her siblings. Here is the translation.
Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: 5

Col. 2: Mensis = Month: Januarius = January

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth: 25

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism: 31

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 136

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Zofia (actually the Latin should be spelled Sophia)

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut alia = Or another: blank

Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: blank
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: Checked

Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate:

Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Pater = Father: Andreas Doroba fil(ius) Jacobi et Catharinae Majka n(ata)= Andrzej Doroba, the son of Jakub and of Katarzyna née (literally: born) Majka
Col. 7b: Mater = Mother: Ludovica filia Jacobi Przypek* et Martina** Wołak = Ludwika, the daughter of Jakub Przypek* and of Marcjanna** Wołak

Col. 8: Patrini et eorum Conditio = Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation: (Godparents is the how patrini are popularly known. Technically they are sponsors, who in theory were supposed to act as mentors for the child): Antonius Woznica(?), (can’t make out the given name) uxor Adami Doroba = Antoni Woznica(?), (can’t make out the given name), the wife of Adam Doroba

Notes: *In this record the surname appears as Przypek but in some others it appears as Przybek. It seems to be a question of how well the name was enunciated.
**In this record the given name appears as Martiana/Marcjanna; in others it appears as Marcellina, which is Marcelina in Polish.
Keep in mind that the mother was not present for the baptism. The information was provided either by the father or by the sponsors.

And here is the template you can use.
Col. 1: Series = Number in Order:

Col. 2: Mensis = Month:

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth:

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism:

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number:

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized):

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut alia = Or another:

Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy:
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl:

Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Legitimi = Legitimate:
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate:

Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Pater = Father:
Col. 7b: Mater = Mother:

Col. 8: Patrini et eorum Conditio = Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation: (Godparents is the how patrini are popularly known. Technically they are sponsors, who in theory were supposed to act as mentors for the child):

I’m attaching a list of Latin given names with their English & Polish equivalents in PDF format. It not exhaustive but is just a compilation of names I’ve run across. Hopefully you will find it useful.

For what it is worth since you don’t read Polish, here is the link to the entry in the Słownik for Olchowa. It is the last entry in the left column. I don’t know whether Google Translate will give you a somewhat decent idea of the contents of the entry. http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_VII/448

That’s it for tonight. I hope the explanation hasn’t confused you.

Wishing you success,

Dave

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  66.05 KB
 Downloaded:  405 Time(s)

Lori Love

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:27 am      Post subject: Follow up on conversation from Feb

Thank you for your wonderful explanation. Your reply was Feb 28th and while I tend to work on my research once a week, about 2 weeks later we went into a stay-at-home order that is still in effect. Where did the time fly! I have done a lot of work during my 'at home' time but I am just getting back to you.
Based on your step-by-step instructions, I have become good at navigating the church records in Poland. I made a 'key' so I know what each row means and the Latin words in the text. I read over each date group, through each town, and printed about 30 records that have a family name on it. I can tell that the same group of names are either the parents or the sponsors. I am working on the assumption that in a group of villages close together that all the people with the same last name are probably related.

Now, I attempted to learn how to work the site from an initial log on. I went to szukajwarchiwach.pl and it was in Polish. I clicked the British flag and the box appears in English. I put in the name 'Doroba' and it loads with the first entry of Henryk Doroba, followed by some Polish words. I clicked a box to say to sort with the oldest first. The oldest comes up as 1916. There are a lot of Polish words but I get it is a list of that is indexed.
It appears that my G.Grandfathers name is in many lists (Andrzej Doroba), but it could be another person with his name. How do I click to see if he is the right guy?
Why does it not show the records going back further? I know the Doroba name was in older records yesterday.
Yesterday I was getting to a page that listed the towns, the dates covered, and a number to click to get to that reel, I guess. Today I can't find how I got there.
Last, are there any older records available? These seem to stop at about 1890. I need to go back further.

I hope you are well and enjoying spring! This is definitely a year to write about for future generations to read about!
Thanks,
Lori Cool
Send e-mail
Kim K

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Follow up on conversation from Feb

Lori Love wrote:
Now, I attempted to learn how to work the site from an initial log on. I went to szukajwarchiwach.pl and it was in Polish. I clicked the British flag and the box appears in English. I put in the name 'Doroba' and it loads with the first entry of Henryk Doroba, followed by some Polish words. I clicked a box to say to sort with the oldest first. The oldest comes up as 1916. There are a lot of Polish words but I get it is a list of that is indexed.
It appears that my G.Grandfathers name is in many lists (Andrzej Doroba), but it could be another person with his name. How do I click to see if he is the right guy?
Why does it not show the records going back further? I know the Doroba name was in older records yesterday.
Yesterday I was getting to a page that listed the towns, the dates covered, and a number to click to get to that reel, I guess. Today I can't find how I got there.
Last, are there any older records available? These seem to stop at about 1890. I need to go back further.

I hope you are well and enjoying spring! This is definitely a year to write about for future generations to read about!
Thanks,
Lori Cool

In searching "Doroba" it looks like the particular record sets with an Andrzej are not digitized. On the results pate this is noted on the far right side of the entry in grey letters "Digital copies: 0" but can also be seen on the collection details page at the top in a tab with blue letters. (example attached of ascending date search result #2)

FYI: the tab with numbers before "digital copies" gives you the collection's full location id if you ever need to request this at the archive branch. At least the index lets you know that a surname + name is already there.

The result I randomly picked appears to be a register of people living on a particular street and address. Examples from other cities can be seen online by searching for "domowa książka meldunkowa" to give you an idea of the type of information that may be there.

As for the time period, records can be spotty and random. Not totally unexpected given the upheaval and destruction of the 19th & 20th centuries. It is also possible that your relatives are in other documents in the same archive/region but the items are not indexed at the moment, which would require some manual digging and a bit of luck. Or you never know, things may be digitized or updated in the future.

That 1916-1921 set (result #1 by date) is from Łódź, versus the Łowicz/Warsaw region, and does have images if you want to see how navigation works when there are scans available online. Once in the collection page, just click that digital copies link.

Kim

Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 21.31.38.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  196.67 KB

Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 21.31.38.png

Edziu340

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:06 am      Post subject: Doroba Krzywa

My family is from Krzywa also. On my grandfathers baptism record the midwife who delivered him was Tekla Doroba. The parish website is www.czarna.rzeszow.opoka.org.pl Check on the memorial page and you will see many of the names listed on your post there. Click on the homepage wypominki to get to the memorial list. Hope this helps you. My family emigrated to Pennsylvania also.

Alexanders Baptism Record.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.35 KB

Description:
 Filesize:  118.35 KB

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:30 pm      Post subject: Re: Follow up on conversation from Feb

Lori Love wrote:

Thanks,
Lori Cool

Hi Lori,

There are records for years prior to 1890 from the parish of Sędziszów Małopolski which include the various villages which were part of the parish, but they are not available on the Szukajwarchiwach site. The records available on that site are housed in the Polish National Archive in Rzeszów. A set of records which cover the years 1826-1889 are housed in the archives of the Diocese of Tarnów. Link to the Diocesan Archives of Tarnów http://archiwum.diecezja.tarnow.pl/kopie-ksiag-metrykalnych-diecezja-sandomierska.html Also, records for the years 1826-1870 have been digitized and are available on Family Search, but must be viewed at a Family History Center or affiliated public library. According to the film notes, those records were microfilmed at the Polish National Archive in Warsaw in 1974. (The year the microfilm was made explains why the records on the films end in 1870 due to Poland’s 100 year privacy rule.) Here is the link to the Family Search records https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/351882?availability=Family%20History%20Library Records most likely are housed in the parish itself. Link to parish: http://parafiasedziszow.pl/

Obviously at the current time research of older records is not something which can be accomplished online from the comfort of home, but it is certainly doable. I would recommend contacting the archive of the diocese and requesting the marriage record of Andrzej & Ludwika and the birth records of Marianna and of Magdalena. Most of the additional records (1826-1870) which would be of interest to you for now should be those available on Family Search (once the pandemic allows the Family History Centers to reopen).

There is some ambiguity regarding the records housed in the diocesan archive—the archive gives the years beginning with 1826 whereas Genealodzy states that records in the diocesan archive begin with the year 1676 (Cf. attached screenshot). It would seem that the question can be put on the back burner for the time being.

Wishing you a successful hunt,

Dave

Screenshot_2020-05-04 Katalog Zasobów Metrykalnych Parafii.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  216.38 KB

Screenshot_2020-05-04 Katalog Zasobów Metrykalnych Parafii.png

Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:03 pm      Post subject:

Lori and Dave

These older files are in collections of local files of particular parishes in the diocesan archive in Tarnów. In regard to Sędziszów they go back to 1488 (the vital books as Genealodzy.pl says to 1676).
http://archiwum.diecezja.tarnow.pl/akta-lokalne-diecezja-rzeszowska.html

Piotr

Zrzut ekranu (38).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.81 KB

Zrzut ekranu (38).png

Lori Love

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:31 pm      Post subject: Older files

This is fantastic! Thanks so much! How do I access the files?
Lori
Send e-mail
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:16 am      Post subject:

Hi Lori,
I'm afraid that on the spot http://archiwum.diecezja.tarnow.pl/
I forgot to add in previous massage that I didn't see these files by myself, so can't totally guarantee that information. Although I trust information on Genealodzy.pl but always with some reserve. I had got similar situation previously and the info on Genealodzy.pl turned out to be correct. But every case must be treated individually. To resolve all doubts someone would have to make the research of files of the parish (the files number LSr I/1) in the diocese archive in Tarnow.

Best regards
Piotr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: