PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:51 pm      Post subject: Looking for information about Sliwinski and Liski (Lis?)

Greetings to all! I'm looking for information about people born in Poland: Jan Sliwinski, tentatively born in 1855, moved to the United States in 1887.
His mother's name is Maria Sliwinska, who moved to the United States in 1892.
Also looking for information about Bronislawa Sliwinska (Liska/Lis?), about 1866-1867 year of birth. She moved to the United States in 1889.
Her mother's name was Maria or Marianna Liska (Lis?), born approximately in 1839-1840, moved to the United States in 1897.
I have no information about where the Sliwinski and Liski families lived in Poland before the relocation. There is also no exact data on where Jan and Bronislawa got married. I would be grateful for any information!
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:38 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

There are many people with the name Jan Sliwinski in the USA. Do you know where he lived in the USA? Do you know the name of his wife? or children? This will help narrow down the search. If I can locate him in the USA, I might be able to find documents that would list his place of birth in Poland.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:30 pm      Post subject:

Hello again,

So after reading your original post again, I see now that Jan was married to Bronislawa.

Here are some clues, but I am not sure this is your ancestor. Hopefully the details in the documents match with what you already know about him. Let me know if it lines up.

IF this is your ancestor:

1. The US census from 1920 (attached) for John Sliwinski, wife Bertha (anglicized version of Bronislawa), and their son, Adam (living in same house, but separate family in the census). At the time of the census, they were living in Baltimore, MD. This census tells me he was born around 1857; married around 1885; immigrated in 1890. This means he married Bronislawa in Poland, then he immigrated alone to the USA, and she followed in 1892. They had a son, Adam, born 1906 in Baltimore, MD. Looks like they also had a daughter (unknown name) who married and had a daughter because the census shows a grand-daughter living with them. Also, the census indicates both Jan and Bertha spoke Yiddish before coming to the USA. So, that would indicate they were Jewish.

2. The naturalization papers for Jan Sliwinski and wife, Bronislawa from Baltimore, MD. Indicates he immigrated in October, 1888 arriving in port of Boston, MA. Date of his birth is 8 Sept 1858. Place of birth is written as "Misemiecz" Russia. There is no such place, so that means the location is not spelled correctly. The location in Poland that sounds closest to "Misemiecz" is:

Myszyniec [mɨˈʂɨɲet͡s] (Ukrainian: Миши́нець, Russian: Мышинец, Hebrew: מישנייץ‎) is a town in Ostrołęka County, Masovian Voivodeship, Poland, with 3,032 inhabitants (2004).

There was also a Jewish Community in Myszyniec.

Again, not sure if this is your ancestor.
Best,
Cynthia

Jan Sliwinski naturalization papers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  834.95 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Jan Sliwinski naturalization papers.jpg

1930 census John Sliwinski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.27 MB

1930 census John Sliwinski.jpg

Send e-mail
Снежана

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:33 pm      Post subject:

Cynthia, there are no words to express my gratitude for this valuable information! I didn't expect such a quick response! These are definitely the people I'm looking for!
I don't know much about their life in the United States, but I wanted to find their roots in Poland. I also wanted to find information about naturalization and You helped me a lot! On the familysearch site, I found the Sliwinsky family in the census. In the 1910 census, their last name was misspelled, but it's definitely them. Interestingly, there was no mention of Yiddish. When I saw this in the 1930 census, I asked my older relatives. They deny this possibility, otherwise they would have known this fact. Jan and Bronislawa are buried in the Polish Catholic cemetery in Baltimore. I think a DNA test might help here.
Cynthia, can you tell me, which website contains the data on naturalization? And are there sites where you can view books of churches in Poland (in my case, Myszyniec)? Thank you again for your help and your kind heart!
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:51 pm      Post subject:

Hello again,

I am happy to hear this is your Jan!! It is my pleasure to help if I can.

I found both records in Ancestry.com, but you must have a subscription to search the databases in Ancestry. If you don't have access to Ancestry, you can find the same record in Family Search here:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS9Z-77NV-D?i=207&cat=548751

The naturalization paper I gave you is for his intent to become a citizen and was filed in 1917. There should be another set of papers that are his actual naturalization and oath records. Problem is, I don't know when he was naturalized. Since the 1930 census says he was naturalized, it would have to be between 1917 - 1930. Family search has some naturalization records online. Just keyword search for "Maryland naturalization" and a whole list will come up.

Family Search also has records for Myszyniec, but not the years you need. Here is a link:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/2789104?availability=Family%20History%20Library

I couldn't find records online for the years you need anywhere else. You may need to contact the parish church directly. Attached is an image of the parish contact info from a database of Polish parishes, and here is a link to the entry:
https://parafie.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=pr&pid=5349

Remember, I am not positive that the village name is Myszyniec. It is my best guess based on sound and location in the then Russian partition. You will only know for sure by checking it out.

Finally, in my searches for Jan in Ancestry.com, I came across several family trees with Jan and Bronislawa in them. One of them is a tree for the Sliwinski family in USA. If you want, I can send the owner of this tree a message asking if they would like to meet you via email. I have been a genealogy "matchmaker" before Wink If you do want to contact your USA family, then send me a private message via Polish Origins with your email in it.

Best Regards,
Cynthia

Myszyniec parish.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  194.79 KB

Myszyniec parish.jpg

Send e-mail
Снежана

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:14 am      Post subject:

Hello, Cynthia! I'm so glad that you've started to make things clear! You are a miracle! I will write to you in private messages, since this is already private information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: