PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:11 am      Post subject:

I got the time to try to use the LDS library but have not been able to get any where with it. Tried "place Search" and typed in Homrzyska and clicked "search" and it takes me to a page that shows:
Homrzyska (Neusandez)
Austria, Galizien, Homrzyska (Neusandez)
Homrzyska (Nowy Sącz)
Poland, Kraków, Homrzyska (Nowy Sącz)

So, I click on the last one " Poland, Homrzyska (Nowy Sacz " and it takes me to: Poland, Kraków, Homrzyska (Nowy Sącz) - Church records . And I click on that and it takes me to:
Księgi metrykalne, 1683-1994 Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Nawojowa (Nowy Sącz) . And I click on that and it takes me to:
Title Księgi metrykalne, 1683-1994
Authors Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Nawojowa (Nowy Sącz) (Main Author)
Notes Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Diecezjalne w Tarnowie.
Roman Catholic parish register of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for Nawojowa, Galizien, Austria; now Nawojowa (Nowy Sącz), Kraków, Poland. Includes registers for the surrounding affiliates of Barnowiec, Rybień, Czaczów, Zabowa, Macieyowa, Homrzyska, Złotne, Bącza, Kunina, Frycowa, Łęg, Kamionka Mała, Popardowa, and Margan. Text in Latin.

Subjects Poland, Kraków, Nawojowa (Nowy Sącz) - Church records
Austria, Galizien, Nawojowa - Church records
Poland, Kraków, Barnowiec (Nowy Sącz) - Church records
Austria, Galizien, Barnowiec (Neusandez) - Church records
Poland, Kraków, Bącza-Kunina (Nowy Sącz) - Church records
Austria, Galizien, Bącza (Neusandez) - Church records
Austria, Galizien, Kunina (Neusandez) - Church records
Poland, Kraków, Czaczów (Nowy Sącz) - Church records
Austria, Galizien, Czaczów (Neusandez) - Church records
Poland, Kraków, Homrzyska (Nowy Sącz) - Church records
Austria, Galizien, Homrzyska (Neusandez) - Church records
Poland, Kraków, Łęg (Nowy Sącz) - Church records
Austria, Galizien, Łęg (Neusandez) - Church records
Poland, Kraków, Maciejowa (Nowy Sącz) - Church records
Austria, Galizien, Maciejowa (Neusandez) - Church records
Poland, Kraków, Popardowa (Nowy Sącz) - Church records
Austria, Galizien, Popardowa (Neusandez) - Church records
Poland, Kraków, Rybień (Nowy Sącz) - Church records
Austria, Galizien, Rybień (Neusandez) - Church records
Poland, Kraków, Złotne (Nowy Sącz) - Church records
Austria, Galizien, Złotne (Neusandez) - Church records
Format Manuscript (On Film)
Language Latin
Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmowało The Genealogical Society of Utah, 1994
Physical na 5 rolkach mikrofilmu ; 35 mm.

And I click on: Poland, Krakow, Homrzyska (Nowy Sacz) and it takes me to: Topic Details
Topic Poland, Kraków, Homrzyska (Nowy Sącz) - Church records

Title search results
Showing only titles available at: "Family History Library"
[ Remove Filter ]

Księgi metrykalne, 1683-1994 Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Nawojowa (Nowy Sącz)

And so I am just going in circles and not getting any where. Not sure what to do to get any where.

Later. Pepse.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:12 am      Post subject: Homrzyska records

Clicking on Ksiegi metrykalne 1683-1994 opens the list of films of those records and what is contained on each film. Although the text of the records will be in Latin, the description of what is covered is in Polish. Film 1978876 contains akta urodzen (births). Unfortunately, the baptisms for the location you are interested in only covers the years 1837-1874. Film 1978877 covers marriages and film 1978877 contains death records. The fact that the year you are interested in is not filmed does not mean the records do not exist. The notes on the LDS page state that the films were made at the diocesan archives in Tarnow in 1994. This tells you that the films contain ecclesiastical records rather than civil records. The parish records that had been sent to the diocesan archives by that year covered the years described in the film notes. Other (more recent) parish records would have remained in the parish itself. An alternative method of seeking the records you need would be to write directly to the pastor of the parish and ask him to search for the records you need.

Another bit of information about your grandfather Wojciech/George is his WWI draft registration which gives his birth as April 23, 1880.

Wishing you success in your search,

Dave

sekula.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  289.89 KB
 Viewed:  10174 Time(s)

sekula.jpg

Pepse

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:03 am      Post subject:

As for contacting the parish. You mean a parish in Homrzyska? It is a village of about 350 people and I haven't been able to get a name/address of the church there. I went on the Nowy Sacz website and could not get any info for a church in Homrzyska. I Googled Homrzyska and didn't get anything useful that way either except a few random pictures and the population.

I do thank you for the draft registration info. I never would have even considered something like that. Thought never crossed my mind. Hmmmm come to think of it a lot of my frustration has been because I am too strict in my methodology in searching for info. Because of the people here I have found a lot of useful information about Grandpa Wojciech. Now if someone has an idea of how to get an address for a parish in or near Homrzyska that would get me going in a good direction.

Thank you.

Later. Jim.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:42 am      Post subject:

Pepse wrote:
As for contacting the parish. You mean a parish in Homrzyska? It is a village of about 350 people and I haven't been able to get a name/address of the church there. I went on the Nowy Sacz website and could not get any info for a church in Homrzyska. Jim.

Jim,

Maybe a hint here (I used an advice given on French genealogy site, concerning Polish origin).

http://mapa.szukacz.pl/

I put in the right small rectangle with title "Znajdź i pokaż", under "Miejscowość" the name: Homrzyska

One answer:
wieś
Homrzyska
374 osoby
woj. małopolskie
pow. nowosądecki
gmina Nawojowa
nr rej.: KNS
współrzędne

Now I know it is gmina Nawojowa, in Nowy Sacz area.

The name "Nowy Sacz" is composed, therefore many noise (and if you go only with English, it is even worst, only noise) until you find a real information website , which name is based on Polish "Sadeczanin" a name of inhabitant in Nowy Sacz.

They have parishes - parafia - in three powiat's: nowosadecki, limanowski, gorlicki

We are interested in "nowosadecki", click on that, a very long list of churches, and the very last one is of interest to you, it's the only one for Nawojowa:

http://www.sadeczanin.info/informator/informator-sadecki/parafie.html

Parafia św. Michała Archanioła
Żeleźnikowa 3, 33-335 Nawojowa
Tel. ( 18 ) 442 99 90
Msze święte:
Niedziele i święta – 7.00, 9.30, 11.00, 16.00
Dni powszednie – 6.00, 6.30, 17.00/18.00 (środa, czwartek, piątek)

The phone number is quite local, should be +48 18 442 99 90

Searching for confirmation throu other sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nawojowa
"To parish Rome - Catholic 15 localities belonged: Marshy meadow, Mała Kamionka, Popardowa Niżna and Wyżna, Margoń, Kunina, Bącza, Frycowa, Rybień, Czaczów, Barnowiec, Homrzyska, Złotne, Maciejowa, Łabowa and Nowa Wieś."

Going back to mapa.szukacz.pl with Nawojowa, I get:
(1) wieś
Nawojowa
siedziba gminy
2598 osób
woj. małopolskie
pow. nowosądecki
gmina Nawojowa
kod: 33-335
prefiks tel.: 18
nr rej.: KNS
współrzędne

Now you have postal address of the parish (did not seen an email).
To be specific:

Parafia św. Michała Archanioła
Żeleźnikowa 3,
33-335 Nawojowa
Poland

Bonne chance !

Elzbieta
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:06 pm      Post subject:

Jim,
To expand a bit on what Elzbieta wrote-----The parish for the village of Homrzyska is in Nawojowa. However, it seems that at the present time there are two Catholic parishes there: sw. Michala as Elzbieta posted and also Nawiedzenia Najswietszej Maryi Panny (Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary). The Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego only lists one parish there (Visitation) during the last years of the XIXth Century. It may be necessary to send the same request to both parishes to locate the records for the years you need. The address of Visitation is: Parafia Nawiedzenia Najswietszej Maryi Panny
33-335 Nawojowa 25
Poland
The phone number is 48-18-442-99-90.
The parish is in the Diocese of Tarnow in the dekanat Nowy Sacz Wschod.
It is possible that both parishes may have websites and/or email addresses. A possible way to find this information would be to check the website of the diocese: www.diecezja.tarnow.pl I tried the website but the connection timed out before the page loaded. Perhaps the server was temporarily busy.

Another bit of information---the Slownik Geograficzny uses a variant spelling for the village of Homrzyska---Chomrzyska---but I believe you should continue to use the first spelling.

You are welcome for the draft registration information. It may not provide anything new regarding research in Poland, but it does contain a physical description of Wojciech. Too bad that he died before 1942 because the WWII Fourth Registration (the so called old man's draft registration for men born between 1879 and 1899) contains more details than the WWI registration.

Always remember that in genealogical research as in life in general there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Best of luck in your research.
Dave
Pepse

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:43 pm      Post subject:

First to mention to Dave, the draft registration is another piece of information that I have for my collection of my grandfather. True not very descriptive, as you say, to the WWII ones but it is another piece of info. Again, thanks.

Now for the, shall I say "the fun part?", communicating to places in Poland with no ability to write in Polish let alone speak it. I am hoping I can use Google Translate to formulate a decent letter to each place. As long as I can print out what I have translated to Polish I should be good. But I have noticed that when translating Polish to English it is choppy, so I fear it could be as bad the other way. And as a side note I go to Wikipedia Polski and Google automatically translates it. Kind of rough but readable.

Side note2, I would like to learn Polish but outside of not having large sums of money to spend for Rosetta Stone I don't know what else would be comparable and inexpensive.

Later. Jim.
sheep17
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:05 pm      Post subject: writing to Poland

Pepse,

Depending on whom you write to, English can be understood. I wrote to the archives in Wloclawek in English - (apologizing for my inability to write in Polish -) and they had no problem with it. If you are
writing to a parish, it might be a problem, but I'd try!
I'm not fond of Google translations - my Polish cousin's messages to me are often incomprehensible.

For the Polish language, my local library has one book. I have two different books from the local
used book stores, and there are several on Amazon.com. Some come with a CD so you can hear
the words spoken, which is important.
I hope this helps --

sheep17
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:14 pm      Post subject: Writing for info in Polish

Jim,
I do not believe that using Google Translate is the best option. Translating is an art which involves more than translating words from one language into another. I was fortunate to have learned Polish from my maternal grandfather. We lived in the same house with my grandparents and he retired the year I was born so I hung out with him during my childhood and he spoke to me in Polish. We also had Polish reading and writing in the parish grammar school I attended. I believe that was discontinued after I reached fifth grade, but it gave me the basic tools for reading and writing Polish and so when I need to contact archives or parishes I just write a Polish letter and have always received good responses. But enough of that.

I believe that perhaps a better option for you would be to avail yourself of the Polish letter writing guide put out by the Mormon church. It provides you with options in Polish where all you need to do is insert your particular data, requests, etc. I couldn't find it on the newly revised Family Search site but there is a link to it on the website of The Federation of East European Family History Societies www.feefhs. org Scroll down on the home page to the links for individual countries and click on Poland. On the left side of the Polish page there is a link which will bring up the Polish letter writing guide in PDF.

I never used the feefhs site for research in southern Poland since my ancestors were from the Kujawy region---some from the Russian Partition and some from the German Partition. However, today I noticed that the site has links for Galicia. I clicked on that and saw that there are two pages devoted to Censuses beginning in 1857. The format is similar to the US Census. Those may be of value to you. However, I could not find any info on the site about where to access the Censuses for Galicia.

Hope this helps you in your research.

Dave
Pepse

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:32 pm      Post subject:

This will help. I will get some letters out as soon as I can. And hopefully I will get some useful information.

Later. Jim.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:56 pm      Post subject:

Hello to a fellow researcher on Homrzyska Poland. The village was so small back then, we must be related.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:11 pm      Post subject:

Sekula I think is spelled Sekuła, and Cabak, I know these names.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 pm      Post subject:

I also know the microfilm for Homrzyska, and how to find that birth record.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 pm      Post subject:

Marriage, 20 Nov 1871, Homrzyska, house #70:

Josephus Sekuła, aga 29 (born 11 Aug 1842 in Homrzyska), son of Antonius Sekuła (farmer/ gardener) and Sophia Kulpa;

and Marianna Skozcen, age 19 (born 11 Sep 1853 in Homrzyska), daughter of Philippus Skoczen (farmer/ gardener) and Marianna Szczygieł (?);

witnesses: Andreas Sekuła and Lucas Cieslak.
Pepse

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:08 pm      Post subject:

starshadow, sorry for the delay in seeing this. WOW. Yes, I know that Homrzyska is real small. So I believe we are related. PM me or email me at [email protected] . I would say more but I am speechless at this time.

And yes, your spelling is the correct Polish spelling for Sekula.

Jim Sekola.
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:36 pm      Post subject:

Congratulation Jim! You've come a long way since last August when I got into this discussion because of the Rusk County connection (I've just re-read all the postings). This marriage record of Josephus Sekuła looks very promising. Now if starshadow can find Wojciech's April 1880 birth record with parents named Josephus and Marianna nee Skozcen (and hopefully Woj.'s siblings as well!), you will be golden. Then it will be time for a trip to Poland with Zenon as your guide! ~PL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Page 4 of 7

Jump to: