PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:23 am      Post subject:

Cheri, forgive my Panic, it's just that I spent a long time running into walls and such doing this genealogy that I figured it was just another slap in the face. I forgot what has transpired here since I started this quest last Aug.

I did realize that the Death Certificate was done by my aunt Zophie but, yet it didn't occur to me that the newspaper death notice would have been done by her or whoever. So, it would have been filled out for what she or whoever recalled. Also, I panicked because starshadow's info from Homrzyska didn't exactly match what was figured in the first place.

As far as the marriage? I have thought that it might have occurred in MI or even PA. Or it is still possible that it occurred in Rusk Co. but maybe a different year. Being I was pressed for time Friday I didn't look at any other years.

I feel better. Thanks for waking me up Very Happy .

Jim.
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:35 pm      Post subject:

Jim~ I’m not surprised that you didn’t find a marriage record in Wis., but this is still good – another elimination from all the possibilities (remember this process involves a lot of eliminations to get to the discoveries). You haven’t officially determined when they moved to WI, and it’s hard to tell since it seems that Mary may have returned to Bessemer for the births of children after 1920 (again unless you find those children’s birth certificates you can’t determine if they were born in WI or MI). But Geo. & Mary’s stillborn daughter was born in Bessemer in 1916, on his WWI registration (I think from 1917) he was living in Bessemer, and in late 1917 when his Declaration was filed he was living in Bessemer so my guess would be that they were married in Michigan and moved to WI after Helen was born in approx. June 1918. By the way, did you have a chance to see if there were any probate records from the time when Geo. died (1939) regarding the disposition of his estate (probate records even if he didn’t have a will)?

Also, the civil marriage records don’t usually provide a lot of information. The Catholic church records are usually more fruitful. Here are the current churches in Bessemer, Gogebic County, MI with a phone number. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~migogebi/churches.htm Looks like St. Sebastian’s parish was established in the 1880s ( http://64.85.28.67/parishhistory.asp?parishID=166 ), so you could try calling to seeing if their records go back to 1915 or so, and ideally if they can provide a copy or at least a transcription of all the details recorded there. George and Mary probably married there since their stillborn daughter was born there.

Next post will be about Mary and John Cabek’s arrival information which I turned up. Records mostly at the Ellis Island website where you can’t copy the manifest, so it’s a lengthy report. But both separately went to a cousin in Avoca PA which is about 215 miles from Barnesboro where the Wojciech Sekula was going that Cheri found. Because of that distance I again would vote for Bessemer as being the place that they met and married. ~PL
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:41 pm      Post subject:

The 1920 Census says Jan Cabek age 29 came in 1913. I looked on Ancestry and found a Jan Cabak on a German manifest out of Hamburg, ship President Lincoln arriving Ellis Island on July 16 age 24 single from Popardowa which seems to be about 3 km from Homrzyska and 4.8 km from Kunina (where the Wojciech was from who was traveling with Wojciech Sekula from Homrzyska when he arrived that Cheri found last Aug.) and all are on the southeast side of Nowy Sącz.

With the help of Steve Morse Gold I was finally able to find Jan on the Ellis Island manifest but only at the Ellis Island website (penmanship not so good on this manifest and I can’t figure out how he was indexed on Ancestry). Name was indexed there as Jan Cahak on Line 29 and the ship was arriving from Cuxhaven (it was the first stop from Hamburg, apparently where the manifest was made for the New York arrival). Anyway he was traveling with Jan Ogurek (Line 2Cool age 25 and single also from Popardowa, both going to cousin Wojciech Dziadosz in Avoca PA. Jan Cabak’s relative in Poland was his father Klemens Cabak in Popardowa. Both Jans were farm laborers. On the Hamburg manifest I didn’t notice Jan Ogurek because he is at the bottom of the first page and Jan Cabak is the first person on the second page (2 pages show at a time). On Ancestry Jan Ogurek’s naturalization record from PA says he was born in 1889 in “Nowojowa Austria Hungary now Poland” and in 1915 in Avoca he married his wife who was also from Nowojowa.

The 1920 Census says Mary Cabek Sekula age 30 arrived in 1907 (same date as her husband but it may have been assumed by the enumerator that she came with her husband). I went looking for Mary Cabek on Ellis Island and found a manifest with beautiful penmanship for the passenger names (not quite as legible for other info): Marya Cabek (indexed Cabak) on Line 5, single, age 23 arriving on the Prinz Fr. Wilhelm from Bremen on July 22, 1912 at Ellis Island. Her last place of residence was Z Nawojowka Galizia, the person left in Poland was stepfather Kl…(maybe Klemens) Dziadosz (can’t decipher his town, but not Z Nawojowka, maybe starts with a B), and she was going to her cousin Wojciech Dziadosz. Described as height 4 ft. 10 in., fair complexion, blonde hair, blue eyes, birthplace Nawojowka.

She was traveling with 3 other females from the same community – Marya Kruczek single age 20 going to cousin Woj. Dziadosz left father Michel Kruczek of Z Nawojowka, and Barbara Dziadosz married age 20 going to husband Woj. Dziadosz and Janina Dziadosz single age 11 months going to father Woj. Dziadosz both leaving father/grfather Onufry K….. of Z Nawojowka, all three birthplace of Nawojowka. All were going to Avoca PA (that’s just outside Wilkes-Barre, PA) same place and person as Mary’s brother (or step-brother) came to in 1913. There is a Nawojowa just up the road from Popardowa. So it seems likely these are the right people since they all came from within 3 miles of each other – Mary & Jan Cabak and Wojciech Sekula and his travel companion Woj. ~PL
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:42 pm      Post subject:

Oops that's line 29 for Jan Cabak on the Ellis Island manifest (Ogurek was on line 2Cool.
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:58 pm      Post subject:

Eureka!! I think I’ve found your George in the 1910 Census in Bessemer MI (last name “unknown” so indexed only as George), age 25, single, an iron miner who immigrated in 1907, who speaks Polish and was born Austria-Polish. He’s on line 29 of this census sheet. Will see if I can successfully attach to this posting.

If this is him, then he and Mary most likely met and married in Bessemer. Jan Ogurek who traveled with Jan Cabak to Avoca PA worked as a miner in Avoca (although probably coal) so Jan could have expected to work as a miner. I suspect Jan heard that the mining was good in MI or maybe others from the Nowy Sącz area were in Bessemer and that's why they moved on. ~PL

1910 United States Federal Census for George2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.96 KB
 Viewed:  9556 Time(s)

1910 United States Federal Census for George2.jpg

Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:26 pm      Post subject:

Fantastic work PL! I tried finding him in 1910 with just his first name, and I still didn't come up with him. Jim, I had hoped to show you that he was here before 1911, and I'm really happy that PL could do it! Family stories are a wonderful starting point, a necessary starting point, so you did the right thing by asking relatives what they knew. I was frustrated with my family search in the beginning when there were conflicts in documents. I've learned that when that happens, I had to try to look for other documents. PL is right about getting the church marriage record. I know you haven't been really lucky with documents, but the church could possibly have your grandparents' parents' names, and maybe even where they were baptized (my grandparents' church did not). I would get the civil record as well. Every county & state is different in what year they required certain information in the marriage application - see if they had to fill out an application. In 1917 my grandparents had to write down their parents names, and where they were born. Of course mine just wrote POLAND, but you never know...You really have learned quite a bit, don't give up!
Cheri
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:09 pm      Post subject:

And since Avoca PA has come up in two different threads (here and the Wakula/Zybura thread), perhaps this article written in 1946 about the Polish miners of the Wilkes-Barre area (from Mocanaqua to Avoca PA) would be of interest http://www.polishroots.org/Research/History/luzerne_penn/tabid/232/Default.aspx
Pepse

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:50 am      Post subject:

Well, as for my grandpa it looks like just about everything it pointing to Bessemer, MI. So, I will contact the church you have a link to and see what I can find out.

As for the children, there are no records of birth in Rusk Co., so it seems that all 6 were born in Bessemer, MI.

No, I didn't get to Probate Records as I was pressed for time. But I will try in the near future unless we discover there is no need to.

The next post will pertain to grandma Sekola.

Jim.
Pepse

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:46 am      Post subject:

Okay, everything you have about Grandma Mary and Gr. uncle John is about right. I have a copy of great uncle John's Declaration and Cert. of Citizenship. On the Declaration he states he was born in Nowy Sacz, Poland. He was born June 23, 1889. He emigrated from Hamburg Germany on the vessel President Lincoln. His last foreign residence was Nowy sacz, Poland. He arrived at New York "on or about" July 16, 1913. As for their father? You have a klemens Cabak. On grandma Mary's death certificate he lists their father as Robert Cabak and their mother was Marie Cabak.

So, it appears he came after grandma Mary. Interesting that he says his father was Klemens Dziadosz and Mary states her step-father was Klemens Dziadosz. I do know that according to a relative (Astoria Dziadosz) I wrote to in Nowy Sacz about 30+ years ago is that there were (I think) 4 Cabak children and then their mother married a Dziadosz and had 3 or 4 more children. What happened to Mr. Cabak wasn't said. Astoria stopped writing to me when she discovered that I was much much younger. The address I have still has a relative by the name of Wojciech Lippa. He married a Dziadosz from that house.

Now as for Avoca, PA. We are still doing good as I have an address for a Barbara Dziadosz in Avoca, PA that my aunt Stella use to keep in touch with until about 1961. My aunt Stella had some contact with Astoria. Last communication was 1953. This is on a piece of paper I have manged Not to lose; have had it for 37 years. All I have on it is the 2 aforementioned Dziadosz s and the date of the last letter from each; to my aunt Stella.

And the fact that uncle John says he was from Nowy Sacz I realize can go either way. He might have used a big city as a reference point or he might have lived/worked in Nowy Sacz. And the fact that it looks likely that the Sekulas and Cabaks were from the neighboring villages is still pretty good. This ties in with starshadow's commentary.

Now, briefly back to grandpa because I have been avoiding including the commentary on this. I have, I think/hope, some paperwork of grandpas when he was buying the land by Hawkins. It was something my father had in his belongings that I acquired after his death in 1983. I remember looking at this paperwork (receipts mostly) and found it interesting because from time to time the person he was buying the land from kinda kept getting the land back due to no payments or something like that. This went on for a few years. But there always were payments by grandpa for most of each year. It was a rather confusing mess to me. I had talked to a cousin and it is thought that when he couldn't make payments he probably went back to the mines in Bessemer to earn the money to continue buying the land, 40 acres.

I regret adding this because I can't remember where in the heck I put this small box of goodies. But, Friday I looked at the spot it has been for about 20 years and it ain't there. Or I didn't looked as good as I should have. Because I think I put this stuff somewhere else and can't remember where. Or did I? That is my predicament. Of course by posting this I am more inclined to look harder but I can't get there tomorrow, but I should be able to this coming week.

So, that is all for now.

Later. Jim.
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:53 pm      Post subject:

Jim~ I’m happy that my Cabak research supports what you already knew, as well as giving you village names which it seems you didn’t know. I have to admit I had totally forgotten the latter part of your first posting last year that mentions the Dziadosz and Avoca connection. You say John said his birth date was June 23, 1889 which means he would have just turned 24 in 1913 when he immigrated and as he reported. What about Mary’s birthdate/year? In mid-July 1912 she said she was 23 which if accurate would mean that she could have been born between late July 1888 and early July 1889. That would put John and Mary only about 12 months apart max. Could John & Mary have been twins?

In 1912 Marya lists her stepfather Klemans Dziadosz as her nearest relative (I can’t read where he’s living – perhaps other PO eyes who are more familiar with Polish village names can figure it out – one would assume it might be in the same geographic area around Nowy Sącz). Why didn’t she list her mother as her closest relative (although maybe people only listed a mother as nearest relative when the male head of household had died – this was true of my grandfather, he listed his mother b/c his father had died).

It is curious that in 1913 Jan lists his father Klemens Cabak (not Dziadosz as you stated today) as his nearest relative (again why didn’t Mary list him…). When their mother married the Dsiadosz man did Mary go with her and Jan stay with their father? If there was a divorce, that is probably something that wouldn’t have been talked about in the family (something to be maybe ashamed of). You say Mary’s death cert. listed her father’s name as Robert and mother as Marie – Robert doesn’t seem like a Polish name. Who reported the info. on her death cert. – her brother or her husband? Finding the marriage records (civil and church) might help clear this up as she would have been providing the information on her parents, as would have George (which is where this thread all started).

As to George returning to Bessemer to earn money each year, that makes perfect sense. If they mined year-round (I’m not familiar with the iron mining process, but if it involved going underground then they probably were mining year-round) then he would probably go there during the winter months when he couldn’t be working the land in WI. Making a living for these immigrants was not easy and it is not surprising that he may have had difficulty making the payments on his land. In what months were those children born after 1920? Were there four others (besides Stella and Helen) listed as being born in MI on the 1930 census? I wonder if Mary left the children with her brother John and his wife when she was in MI giving birth to a new child, or if the whole family went back and forth?

More questions, but some good leads. The search is the fun part of this whole effort! ~PL
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:40 am      Post subject:

Wow these are very interesting developments. Could the "Robert Cabak" be Bartlomiej Cabak? He lived in Frycowa and had a daughter Marya in 1887 and son Jan in 1890.
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:57 am      Post subject:

starshadow~ What's the name of the mother (Bartlomiej's wife) on the birth records for Marya & Jan? Those look like good possibilities. How far forward do your records go? Can you find Marya & Jan's mother marrying a Dziadosz?

Just curious, where are you accessing these records? Are they microfilms from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City or some other source? ~PL
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:24 pm      Post subject:

Sorry, I had to check the microfilm again. Bartlomiej Cabak's wife was named Pelagia Bogdanska. He died in 1895, and she remarried in 1896 to Klemens Dziadosz. All the evidence seems to match up on the Cabak's. Now if we can just get a little more evidence to match up on Wojciech Sekula, I think we're all set.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:32 pm      Post subject:

PolishLibrarian, can you translate Polish?
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:32 pm      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
PolishLibrarian, can you translate Polish?

No, unfortunately I can't translate Polish any more than to use Google Translate. I have paternal Polish grandparents who each came in 1909 and I am a librarian, hence the my "PO name". But there are many others here who can translate. The list of names that Dave Nowak (I think that's right) provided (Latin, English, Polish equivalents) says Pelagia would normally be called Pearl in English and Bartolomej would be Bartholomew.

It appears than when Jan came he said his nearest relative in Poland was his father Klemens (and the recorder assumed it was Cabak, instead of getting the stepfather's surname Dziadosz). Interestingly, both my grandmother and her younger sister, when they married in the US, listed their mother's surname as Koscielniak. But I have seen their baptismal records in Rabka and their mother was a Knowa. Who knows why they gave an incorrect name? Another little mystery. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Page 6 of 7

Jump to: