PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:48 am      Post subject: Wojcinski

I'd be interested in any information on the surname Wojcinski. Our ancestors may have come from Poznan.
Thank you for a great forum. It's beautifully done.
Karen
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:44 am      Post subject:

Thank you Karen of your good words. The credit for our website apperance and functionality and goes mainly to our great web developer Michal Exclamation

Below there are information I found about your interesting surname

Woj-; Wojczyński from ancient names such Wojciech, Wojsław, with root woj-, "war, to wage war against", or woj, "warrior".

Wojt-; Wojc; Wójciński from the Polish first name Wojciech (English equivalent "Albert/Adalbert"), or wójt "village headman".
Wojczyński is closer in sounding to your Wojcinski and Wójciński is closer to it in spelling with Polish letters "ó" and "ń".

In 2002 there were 126 people by the surname Wojczyński living in Poland and 181 by the surname Wójcińśki.
Detailed maps of Wojczyński surname deployment can be found on the website here https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Wojczy%C5%84ski and for Wójciński here: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/W%C3%B3jci%C5%84ski .

In 19th century there were one Wojciński and one Wojczyński noble families:
- Wojciński, no coat of arms ,living in Rawa Mazowiecka region
- Wojczyński, coat of arms Abdank living in Rawa Mazowiecka region, in Wodziczna estate.

Sources:
- Nazwiska Polaków (Surnames of Poles) by proffesor Kazimierz Rymut, Krakow 1992.

- Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings by William F. Hoffman, Chicago, 1998

- Spis Szlachty Polskiej (Register of Polish Nobility) compiled by Jerzy Sewer count Dunin-Borkowski and published in 1887 in Lwow.

- Database of surnames used in Poland compiled in 2002 by prof. K.Rymut - Dictionary of Surnames in Current Use in Poland.

Last edited by Zenon on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Send e-mail
wojobeada

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:55 am      Post subject:

Zenon,
Thank you so much. My sister and I were so excited to find out more about the origin of our name.
We have found a tutor and our planning to take Polish lessons. Our plan is to someday visit the country of our ancestors and learn more about those who came before us..
Thank you for your help at the start of our quest.
Karen
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:37 am      Post subject:

Karen,

I know a few people from our Forum also have learned Polish by themselves e.g. from CD learning softwares or they have hired private tutors, like you. I wish you luck and perseverance!

It would be great to meet you someday and see you stepping on your ancestors' land Smile .
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: