PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:38 am      Post subject: Hoping for help with town/baptism record

Hello! I am attempting to find the baptismal record of my great-grandfather Jozef Adamczyk, son of Jan Adamczyk and Franciszka Sojka. According to my great-grandparents marriage record he was baptized on March 19, 1882 and was from Pol. Rus, gub. Lomza, pow. Ostrow gm. Szulborze Koty wies Szulborze. I have been told that based on this information my great-grandfather should have been baptized in Zuzela Parish, however when searching through the parish indexes/records by myself and with others assisting me we have found no trace of him, his parents marriage or any siblings. I am wondering if there is a parish nearby that he may have been baptized in? Also I am a little confused by the location mentioned on the marriage record – I have found a place called Szulborze that looks like it is in Lesniewo – not Szulborze Koty. Is there a possibility that I am looking in the wrong place? If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you for any help you can provide!
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:50 am      Post subject: Re: Hoping for help with town/baptism record

jmd75 wrote:
Hello! I am attempting to find the baptismal record of my great-grandfather Jozef Adamczyk, son of Jan Adamczyk and Franciszka Sojka. According to my great-grandparents marriage record he was baptized on March 19, 1882 and was from Pol. Rus, gub. Lomza, pow. Ostrow gm. Szulborze Koty wies Szulborze. I have been told that based on this information my great-grandfather should have been baptized in Zuzela Parish, however when searching through the parish indexes/records by myself and with others assisting me we have found no trace of him, his parents marriage or any siblings. I am wondering if there is a parish nearby that he may have been baptized in? Also I am a little confused by the location mentioned on the marriage record – I have found a place called Szulborze that looks like it is in Lesniewo – not Szulborze Koty. Is there a possibility that I am looking in the wrong place? If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you for any help you can provide!

Can You please send the marriage record of Your greatgrandfather? It will help me to determine the exact birth place.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:14 am      Post subject: Re: Hoping for help with town/baptism record

jmd75 wrote:

Hi,

Although the Słownik geograficzny… http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_XII/69
lists the parish for Szulborze as Zuzela, the later Skorowidz gives the RC parish for Szulborze Koty as Czyżew. Since you could find no record of your great-grandfather in Zuzela it would seem that the parish of Czyżew would be a logical place to search.

Wishing you successful searching,

Dave

46.Ostrowski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.43 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

46.Ostrowski.jpg

Screenshot_2020-07-08 Skorowidz miejscowości Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej z oznaczeniem terytorjalnie im właściwych władz i ur[...].png
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.94 KB

Screenshot_2020-07-08 Skorowidz miejscowości Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej z oznaczeniem terytorjalnie im właściwych władz i ur[...].png

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:27 am      Post subject: Re: Hoping for help with town/baptism record

dnowicki wrote:
jmd75 wrote:

Hi,

Although the Słownik geograficzny… http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_XII/69
lists the parish for Szulborze as Zuzela, the later Skorowidz gives the RC parish for Szulborze Koty as Czyżew. Since you could find no record of your great-grandfather in Zuzela it would seem that the parish of Czyżew would be a logical place to search.

Wishing you successful searching,

Dave

There is no baptism record for Adamczyk Józef in the romancatholic parish of Czyżew. There is only baptism record for Adamczuk Marcjanna in 1882, but her parents do not match Józef's.
So, as i wrote above, it would be good to read the aforementioned marriage record.
Dear jmd75 user, can You please provide us with this document?

jmd75

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:24 pm      Post subject:

I am attaching here the marriage record for my great-grandparents - Jozef Adamczyk and Valeria Kapica

adamczykkapicamarriage.jpg
 Description:
Church marriage record for Jozef Adamczyk
 Filesize:  844.4 KB

adamczykkapicamarriage.jpg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:01 pm      Post subject:

jmd75 wrote:
I am attaching here the marriage record for my great-grandparents - Jozef Adamczyk and Valeria Kapica

I did not find Józef's baptism record but i have found the other baptism, which i believe is his brother's.

What do You think about it?

Czyżew-Stacja

It happened in Czyżew on 24th June/5th July 1887, at 8 p.m.
Appeared personally Jan Adamczuk, worker, living in Czyżew-Stacja, 34 years old, in the presence of Franciszek Dmochowski, 36 years old and Paweł Dmochowski, 40 years old, workers living in Czyżew-Stacja and presented Us a male child, informing that the child was born in Czyżew-Stacja on 4th July of the current year, at 4 p.m., with his legal wife Franciszka ee Siejk, 34 years old.
At The Holy Baptism, held today, the child was given the name Stanisław and the godparents were: Franciszek Doncer and Anna Doncer.
This act was read to the declarant and the witnesses, all illiterate and was signed by Us.

Priest Tomasz Gogolewski, parson of the parish of Czyżew, serving as Civil Registrar.

baptism certificate.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.31 KB

baptism certificate.JPG

jmd75

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:53 pm      Post subject:

Wow! Thank you so very much! I know very little about my great-grandfather's family and that is a very important find! I think it is a definite possibility that this could be a brother! Is there a link to the scanned records for this parish online? I do not speak the language but I have had some success in finding members of my great-grandmother's family. I am wondering if I would be able to locate other siblings or possibly the marriage of Jozef's parents. I am really surprised that his baptism is not showing up. I am assuming that he would have had to write to Poland to obtain a baptismal record in order to marry my great-grandmother in the church in NY. Many, many thanks!
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:08 pm      Post subject:

jmd75 wrote:
Wow! Thank you so very much! I know very little about my great-grandfather's family and that is a very important find! I think it is a definite possibility that this could be a brother! Is there a link to the scanned records for this parish online? I do not speak the language but I have had some success in finding members of my great-grandmother's family. I am wondering if I would be able to locate other siblings or possibly the marriage of Jozef's parents. I am really surprised that his baptism is not showing up. I am assuming that he would have had to write to Poland to obtain a baptismal record in order to marry my great-grandmother in the church in NY. Many, many thanks!

Here is the link to the online records for the parish of Czyżew:

https://metryki.genealodzy.pl/ar15-zs0163d

I checked Zuzela and Czyżewa romancatholic parishes but there was no marriage record for Jóżef's parents. I checked 1888-1873
Maybe You should ask if there are any attachments to the NY marriage (in the place where these documents are stored in USA)

jmd75

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:35 pm      Post subject:

Thank you! I had the same idea about the church here and I have reached out to them asking if there are any other documents relating to the marriage and am waiting for a reply. This seems very unusual - it seems like usually all of the family would be found in the same place and I am wondering why that is not happening here. It seems very strange. If anyone can think of any other parishes that I could check that have records online or that I could write to please let me know and I will try. Again - I can't thank you enough - I have been at this for ten years and this is very good news to me!
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:24 pm      Post subject: Re: Hoping for help with town/baptism record

jmd75 wrote:

Out of curiosity, where did you find the parish records for Zuzela that you searched through? What I see online are records for 1826-1873 inclusive, then 1881, then 1889-1892 inclusive. That leaves out a lot of years, including 1882 which is the year in which you expect to find Jozef's baptism. This list of available records may exclude the marriage of his parents, as well.
Best regards,
Sophia
jmd75

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:41 pm      Post subject:

I had thought that Zuzela was indexed on geneteka for the years 1657-1909 and that those years are also covered by projektpodlasie. I received help in the past (not on this forum) and was told that Zuzela was complete. If I make a mistake and someone knows an address where I can write to the parish to inquire I would definitely appreciate it.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:19 pm      Post subject:

jmd75 wrote:
I had thought that Zuzela was indexed on geneteka for the years 1657-1909 and that those years are also covered by projektpodlasie. I received help in the past (not on this forum) and was told that Zuzela was complete. If I make a mistake and someone knows an address where I can write to the parish to inquire I would definitely appreciate it.

OK, I had thought you were looking through individual church book images.
Thanks!
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:16 pm      Post subject:

jmd75 wrote:

Hi,

I can’t say whether or not you made a mistake but here is some info you may find useful if you want to contact the parish regarding your great-grandfather’s birth & baptism record. Keep in mind that he may or may not have been baptized on March 19. Since March 19 is the Feast of St. Joseph it was his Name Day, a day more important in Poland than the actual day of birth. He may have been born and baptized in March near that Feast Day and used that date as the day of his birth and/or baptism.

Here is a link to information about what books are held in the parish of Zuzela itself: https://parafie.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=pr&pid=10299

The data may or may not be up to date. However the address (4th section down from the top) is current. The following link shows parish info which includes an email address: http://www.parafiazuzela.vxm.pl/index.php/kontakt-i-dojazd.html

Good luck in your research.

Dave
jmd75

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:48 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for the information - it is worth a try just to double check.
jmd75

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:28 pm      Post subject:

So I have found records for these two children born in Andrzejewo. I do not think that this is my great-grandfather - not only does the marriage record state that he was baptized 3/19/1882 but I have his WWI draft card from NYC that states he was born on March 18 (although he gives a different year there). The March 18th birth would fit with a March 19th baptism so I am assuming the day and month are accurate but I was taken aback when I found these by doing a Google Search of his parents names. The parents ages are not consistent with the baptism of Stanislaw above also so perhaps it is a different Jan Adamczyk and Franciska Siejk? I'm not sure what to think....
http://www.katalogszlachty.com/indeksy/andrzejewo-urodzenia-1882/
http://www.katalogszlachty.com/indeksy/andrzejewo-urodzenia-1880/
If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it. I have often wondered if Andrzejewo is worth looking into for my family also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: