PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:51 am      Post subject:

I believe I have located the scans of the records that I listed above. I don't know what to think with these.... If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance! There is a marriage of Jan and Franciszka in 1979 and a few more children born in the following years.

mariannaadamczyk1882.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.45 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

mariannaadamczyk1882.JPG

jozefadamczyk1880.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.45 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

jozefadamczyk1880.JPG

Last edited by jmd75 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:56 am      Post subject:

jmd75 wrote:
I believe I have located the scans of the records that I listed above. I don't know what to think with these.... If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Do You want me to translate it?

PAYPAL: [email protected]
jmd75

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:46 am      Post subject:

Thank you for the offer! I have thought about it and I would hate to have someone go through the trouble of translating it when I am not sure if this was my family. It looks like the Jozef in this record was baptized in August of 1880 - my great-grandfather's marriage certificate states his baptism was March 19, 1882..... However since he is not to be found in Zuzela where he should have been baptized according to the marriage record I don't know what to think. I don't see how the information on the marriage record could be wrong if he needed the information from Poland to marry in the church. One thing that is making me think on it a bit more is that March 19th is St. Joseph's Day. I had always assumed that my great-grandfather may have gotten his name from that day but a part of me is wondering if perhaps the day came from his name. If when he married he wasn't sure of his dob and maybe just had an idea of where he may have been living and the priest took the day from St. Joseph's Day if he could not provide the documentation...... I'm not sure if this is possible. That being said I am very hesitant to add this family to my tree without being sure. I am attaching the marriage information I have found in Andrezejewo in 1879 for Jan Adamczyk and Franciska Siejk. I am asking if anyone who can translate might be able to tell me any family names that appear here - for instance the mother's maiden names. I have done my DNA and I am curious if these surnames may show up in any cousin matches. I figure it is worth it to at least check. Thank you!

https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/5/414/0/-/26/skan/full/3gRPVgLVOLmk7IihjwXzfw
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/5/414/0/-/27/skan/full/BmI6c_3tRbCt4vKfa38kYw
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:19 pm      Post subject:

jmd75 wrote:
Thank you for the offer! I have thought about it and I would hate to have someone go through the trouble of translating it when I am not sure if this was my family. It looks like the Jozef in this record was baptized in August of 1880 - my great-grandfather's marriage certificate states his baptism was March 19, 1882..... However since he is not to be found in Zuzela where he should have been baptized according to the marriage record I don't know what to think. I don't see how the information on the marriage record could be wrong if he needed the information from Poland to marry in the church. One thing that is making me think on it a bit more is that March 19th is St. Joseph's Day. I had always assumed that my great-grandfather may have gotten his name from that day but a part of me is wondering if perhaps the day came from his name. If when he married he wasn't sure of his dob and maybe just had an idea of where he may have been living and the priest took the day from St. Joseph's Day if he could not provide the documentation...... I'm not sure if this is possible. That being said I am very hesitant to add this family to my tree without being sure. I am attaching the marriage information I have found in Andrezejewo in 1879 for Jan Adamczyk and Franciska Siejk. I am asking if anyone who can translate might be able to tell me any family names that appear here - for instance the mother's maiden names. I have done my DNA and I am curious if these surnames may show up in any cousin matches. I figure it is worth it to at least check. Thank you!

https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/5/414/0/-/26/skan/full/3gRPVgLVOLmk7IihjwXzfw
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/5/414/0/-/27/skan/full/BmI6c_3tRbCt4vKfa38kYw

Hi,

It is not only possible but a 99.9% certainty that Joseph & Valerie did not provide any birth/baptism documentation for their church marriage in the USA. The priest entered the info according to what the bride and groom told him. If he had seen birth and baptism certificates the entries would have specified the name of the parish where the baptisms took place instead of what he did enter. The final printed line of the register entry (Hujus...baptizati sunt translated: “I sent notice of this marriage to the Rectors of the Churches in which the above named spouses were baptized”) is a legal fiction. It was very rare that couples provided actual baptismal documentation and even more rare that parish priests here sent notifications to Partitioned Poland. Keep in mind that things were very different during the late 19th & early 20th Centuries. Individuals who wished to marry in the Catholic Church here didn’t plan their wedding years or months in advance. Usually all the prep took place during the three weeks prior to the planned date of the wedding which meant that it was not physically possible to send to Europe to request a baptismal certificate and receive a response before the wedding date. Letters sent to Europe spent a minimum of two to four weeks in transit and the same was true for a response to arrive from Europe. That was the best case scenario. In actuality the entire process would usually consume months. Priests in the US were more concerned with having couples marry in the Catholic Church rather than with the assembly of documentation.

I would recommend that you request a translation of the 1880 birth record as it appears to be that of your Józef/Joseph, the son of Jan & Franciszka.

Wishing you success,

Dave
jmd75

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:42 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for your feedback Dave! As per Dave's advice if anyone can provide the complete translation of Jozef's birth record above as well as the records above for the marriage of Jan and Franciszka Siejk I would greatly appreciate it! Sending much thanks to all who have helped and shared in this thread - you have been a wonderful help and I have learned a great deal through your advice.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:02 pm      Post subject:

jmd75 wrote:
Thank you for your feedback Dave! As per Dave's advice if anyone can provide the complete translation of Jozef's birth record above as well as the records above for the marriage of Jan and Franciszka Siejk I would greatly appreciate it! Sending much thanks to all who have helped and shared in this thread - you have been a wonderful help and I have learned a great deal through your advice.

Hi,

If you post the request for a translation of Jozef's birth record in the Russian Records Translation thread you'll get a better response. Where it is posted now it is likely to be overlooked.

Good luck.

Dave
jmd75

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:06 pm      Post subject:

Thank you! I will post the records there for translation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: