PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:08 pm      Post subject: struggling to find any - Władysław Czerwik

hi there, i am really struggling to find any records of what happened to my polish side of the family, my grandfather wladyslaw czerwik came to the uk in about 1939, he was born in august 1921. he had an older sister maria born in about 1913 and his parents were tomasz and jozefa (nee schagarl). tomasz' parents were pawla and julii czerwik.
tomasz died in 1952 and we think maria married but that is about as much informations as we have and all my google searches are coming up blank.
does anyone have any tips on how best to search from the uk with no polish language ability or can someone just magically appear as my relation and fill in all the blankas for us
thanks in advance, sally
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:49 pm      Post subject: Re: struggling to find any information

sallyczeese wrote:
hi there, i am really struggling to find any records of what happened to my polish side of the family, my grandfather wladyslaw czerwik came to the uk in about 1939, he was born in august 1921. he had an older sister maria born in about 1913 and his parents were tomasz and jozefa (nee schagarl). tomasz' parents were pawla and julii czerwik.
tomasz died in 1952 and we think maria married but that is about as much informations as we have and all my google searches are coming up blank.
does anyone have any tips on how best to search from the uk with no polish language ability or can someone just magically appear as my relation and fill in all the blankas for us
thanks in advance, sally

Is this him?
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12429280
If it is, you have a very brief window of opportunity to get this document for free, as the National Archives is offering free downloads due to Covid-19 limiting peoples' ability to visit the archive. I did not download it myself, so I do not know if it is only an index or if there is actual info there. If it is just the index, presumably you'll be able to navigate through UK records to get his actual naturalization data and find out his place of birth. Since he was born in 1921, you probably will not find any birth record for him but you may be able to find his sister's birth, and his parents' marriage records in Poland, once you know the town to search in.
Best of luck,
Sophia
sallyczeese

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:28 pm      Post subject:

yes, this is my grandad, thank you. i think we might have a copy of this but i have downloaded it just in case, thank you
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 pm      Post subject:

Hi again,
For when you do get into further records, I want to help you a little with the spelling of names.
Wladyslaw will be Władysław
Tomasz is fine
Jozefa will be Józefa
Maria is correct, but it is possible that she may be Marjanna
Tomasz's parents were not actually "Pawla and Julii Czerwik". Their names are Paweł and Julia.
Pawła means "of Paweł" and Julii means "of Julia" so it is very likely that you just extracted their names the way they existed in a document indicating something like: "Tomasz was the son of Paweł and Julia."
On another note, you probably saw that the UK National Archives has naturalization records for other people with the surname Czerwik who may or may not be related to you.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: