PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:13 pm      Post subject: Requesting help to identify name of town

I am attaching a passenger record that I believe is for my great-grandfather Jozef Adamczyk. He is #6. I am wondering if anyone may recognize the name of the town that is given in column 9 for his Last Residence. If it helps I believe he was born in Mianowo, Andrzejewo parish and it looks like as a child he may have been in Czyzew and Ruskoleka for a time. It is possible he also spent time in Zuzela parish in Szulborze as well. I am hoping that whatever town this is may be in the vicinity which will help me determine if this is really him. His mother's maiden name was Siejk which seems like it could be a match (misspelled) for the person he was going to and according to his marriage record he lived in Bloomfield, NJ before marrying which is the final destination listed for this person. I appreciate any help! Many thanks!

NYT715_272-0480 (1).jpg
 Description:
Passenger record for Jozef Adamczyk (misspelled) - #6
 Filesize:  760.44 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

NYT715_272-0480 (1).jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:53 pm      Post subject: Re: Requesting help to identify name of town

jmd75 wrote:
I am attaching a passenger record that I believe is for my great-grandfather Jozef Adamczyk. He is #6. I am wondering if anyone may recognize the name of the town that is given in column 9 for his Last Residence. If it helps I believe he was born in Mianowo, Andrzejewo parish and it looks like as a child he may have been in Czyzew and Ruskoleka for a time. It is possible he also spent time in Zuzela parish in Szulborze as well. I am hoping that whatever town this is may be in the vicinity which will help me determine if this is really him. His mother's maiden name was Siejk which seems like it could be a match (misspelled) for the person he was going to and according to his marriage record he lived in Bloomfield, NJ before marrying which is the final destination listed for this person. I appreciate any help! Many thanks!

Hi,
This one is a challenge. The writer's capital M and capital N are annoyingly similar - - look at Line 1, Column 11, where the destination is Maspeth, and Lines 7/8, Column 11, where the destination is Norwich.
Jozef's entry in Column 9 looks to me like "Ma...." or "Mo..." , then 2 letters, possibly "rz" or "rs", then ending with "....-owia." None of which adds up to any town that I am able to see on today's map of the Andrzejewo area.
Partly, it feels like a very loose spelling of "Mazowia" but that is too general a term for what goes in that column.
Perhaps what is needed is an older map.
Best of luck in deciphering this,
Sophia
jmd75

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:09 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for sharing! I am now also wondering if he may have been in a completely different place before he left Poland although I am not sure how common that would be. His father was a day laborer and the family seems to be moving from place to place a bit. I have no evidence that any of Joseph's siblings left Poland however I have yet to find marriages for any in the area that the family lived.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:26 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

There is a place called Ostrow Masowiecka about 31 km west of Czyzew. He could have just referred to it as Masowiecka rather than the full name and the scribe spelled it incorrectly. That is a possibility but difficult to say for sure.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:46 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

There is a place called Ostrow Masowiecka about 31 km west of Czyzew. He could have just referred to it as Masowiecka rather than the full name and the scribe spelled it incorrectly. That is a possibility but difficult to say for sure.

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,
If I've got the grammar right, "Ostrow Mazowiecka" simply means Ostrow, of Mazovia. To differentiate it from other Ostrow's, I guess.
Sophia
Kim K

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:40 pm      Post subject:

Although maybe not correct for the intent of the column, I wouldn't entirely rule out that being a reference to the region. There are many examples of people using the region/county seat as their last residence or birthplace in records.

Sophia wrote:
mcdonald0517 wrote:

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,
If I've got the grammar right, "Ostrow Mazowiecka" simply means Ostrow, of Mazovia. To differentiate it from other Ostrow's, I guess.
Sophia

And there are ton of Ostrow's, Ostrowko's around the country... I think it has a root tied to "marshy place" or "river delta" meaning, but don't quote me on that.

The fact that you have suggestions of other towns in the area is probably a good sign though. : ) Any chance of locating a naturalization record in the US? Some of the later ones asked for birthplace/last residence info too, so you could compare.

-Kim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: