PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:39 am      Post subject: Is this surname masculine or feminine

Hi, I have a surname of Jihnocewicz.. would this be a masculine or feminine Question
Send e-mail
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:59 am      Post subject: Re: Is this surname masculine or feminine

Jski2902 wrote:
Hi, I have a surname of Jihnocewicz.. would this be a masculine or feminine Question

Could be both.
This form of surname, written without a given name, can be used for both a woman and a man.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:24 am      Post subject: Re: Is this surname masculine or feminine

Jski2902 wrote:

Hi,
When you say you have this surname, do you mean that you found it on a document, and you are trying to learn more about it? Or do you mean that you know for certain that someone has, or had, this particular surname?
I am asking because the spelling is very unusual. The ending "....wicz" is perfectly fine, and based on that, Marcel has said that it can be used by either a woman or a man, and I agree with him. The beginning, though, is unusual and it made me wonder whether you are trying to decipher someone's handwriting.
Sophia
Jski2902

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:52 pm      Post subject: Re: Is this surname masculine or feminine

Sophia wrote:
Jski2902 wrote:

Hi,
When you say you have this surname, do you mean that you found it on a document, and you are trying to learn more about it? Or do you mean that you know for certain that someone has, or had, this particular surname?
I am asking because the spelling is very unusual. The ending "....wicz" is perfectly fine, and based on that, Marcel has said that it can be used by either a woman or a man, and I agree with him. The beginning, though, is unusual and it made me wonder whether you are trying to decipher someone's handwriting.
Sophia
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:49 am      Post subject: Re: Is this surname masculine or feminine

Hi Jski2902,
Had you meant to include a reply?
Best regards,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: