PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:37 pm      Post subject: online source for birth/marriage record

Hello!
I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction, I am at a road block. I am looking for my Great Grandmother’s birth record to find who her parents are.

Her name was Agnes Stalec. Supposedly she was born February 1867. I found an Agnes Stalec, born 1868 (Mother’s maiden name Mocadlo), but supposedly she died in 1874 from Thyphoid, so obviously this cannot be her. It is the only Agnes born in the right time frame.

Agnes married my Great Grandfather Joseph Jaskiewicz from Róża, Podkarpackie, Poland about 1888. According to the Tarnow church records their first daughter Caroline was born March 10, 1889 in house #80 in Roza. Agnes’s maiden name is listed as Stalec. Their second child, Marianna, was born July 15, 1891 in house #93 in Roza. Agnes’s maiden name is listed this time as Dudek. These are the only records I can find of hers in Poland. Their third child Stanley was born in the US about 1893, according to the 1900 census.

There are many Stalec and Dudek families in the Roza and Wiewiorka area. I have gone through every Stalec and Dudek in the Tarnow records and can find no Agnes that would seem to be her. I am wondering if she was born out of wedlock, and thus the two last names given?

I belong to a couple DNA websites and have DNA matches for the Stalec family that settled in the same town in the US as Agnes, within a couple years of her arrival. That family is decended from Joannes Stalec and Sophia Dudek from Roza.

I also have matches that settled in that same town in the US that are decendants from Adam Dudek and Sophia Erazmus from Roza. My Grandmother was a good friend (or maybe cousin?) to their Grandaughter according to some paperwork I found.

All of this is compelling, but without a birth record, that is all it is. Does anyone know if there is an online source besides the Tarnow records to find her birth record? Or maybe a marriage record? I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent researching to find information on her. I would like to honor her life and her place in our family by knowing more about her. I don’t want her to be just a name and a face in a photo. (I have only one photo of her, I think taken in Poland, with a woman who is possibly her mother.) Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Diana Bernaciak Carpenter

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:46 pm      Post subject: Re: online source for birth/marriage record

DianaC wrote:
Hello!
I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction, I am at a road block. I am looking for my Great Grandmother’s birth record to find who her parents are.

Her name was Agnes Stalec. Supposedly she was born February 1867. I found an Agnes Stalec, born 1868 (Mother’s maiden name Mocadlo), but supposedly she died in 1874 from Thyphoid, so obviously this cannot be her. It is the only Agnes born in the right time frame.

Agnes married my Great Grandfather Joseph Jaskiewicz from Róża, Podkarpackie, Poland about 1888. According to the Tarnow church records their first daughter Caroline was born March 10, 1889 in house #80 in Roza. Agnes’s maiden name is listed as Stalec. Their second child, Marianna, was born July 15, 1891 in house #93 in Roza. Agnes’s maiden name is listed this time as Dudek. These are the only records I can find of hers in Poland. Their third child Stanley was born in the US about 1893, according to the 1900 census.

There are many Stalec and Dudek families in the Roza and Wiewiorka area. I have gone through every Stalec and Dudek in the Tarnow records and can find no Agnes that would seem to be her. I am wondering if she was born out of wedlock, and thus the two last names given?

I belong to a couple DNA websites and have DNA matches for the Stalec family that settled in the same town in the US as Agnes, within a couple years of her arrival. That family is decended from Joannes Stalec and Sophia Dudek from Roza.

I also have matches that settled in that same town in the US that are decendants from Adam Dudek and Sophia Erazmus from Roza. My Grandmother was a good friend (or maybe cousin?) to their Grandaughter according to some paperwork I found.

All of this is compelling, but without a birth record, that is all it is. Does anyone know if there is an online source besides the Tarnow records to find her birth record? Or maybe a marriage record? I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent researching to find information on her. I would like to honor her life and her place in our family by knowing more about her. I don’t want her to be just a name and a face in a photo. (I have only one photo of her, I think taken in Poland, with a woman who is possibly her mother.) Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Diana Bernaciak Carpenter

Hi Dianna,

It appears that the way around your roadblock requires more than online research. Family Search has films of the records of the parish of Róża but they have not been digitized and are still on microfilm. https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/730597?availability=Family%20History%20Library As far as I know, it is not possible to view the microfilms at this time. However, it is possible to contact Family Search and request that the films be granted priority for digitization.

Sorry that the news is not better.

Dave
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:08 pm      Post subject:

Hello Diana,

I agree with Dave about the status of the online records. So, you can either wait for them to come online which is uncertain if they ever will. Or, you can hire a researcher in Poland to obtain copies of the records on your behalf. I have done this in the past and it worked out very well. If you want to inquire about this service, you can send an email to Polish Origins with your request.

I did some research anyway and found some information that you may already have, but in case you don't, here it is:

As you know, Family Search has indexed some (not all) of the records for Tarnow. A search for Agnes Stelec and Joseph Jaskiewicz in Ancestry.com and in Family Search yielded birth records for each of them. I see the Agnes Stelec you mentioned in your original post, however, I didn't see any death records for her. You say she "supposedly" died of typhus in 1874. Do you have documented proof of this? If you don't, I suggest you assume this record is your Agnes until you can prove otherwise. Wiewiórka is within walking distance of Roza (2 km). Birth dates in US documents often don't match the Polish parish records. Often, our ancestors did not keep track of their birthdays, or someone else was reporting the information on their behalf and got it wrong. This is your best match so far. As you mention, getting their marriage record from either Roza or Wiewiorka would be the best evidence. The content of this baptism record is:

Name: Agnes Stalec
Event Type: Baptism
Event Date: 09 Jul 1868
Event Place: Wiewiórka, Wiewiórka, Rzeszów, Poland
House Number: 2
Father's Name: Adalbertus Stalec
Mother's Name: Marianna Mocadto
Volume Beginning Year: 1867
Volume Ending Year: 1889

I also found an unused 1919 Michigan marriage application for Joseph. It seems he filed for a license, but then returned it unused - I guess he did not go through with the wedding. However, he states the names of his parents in the license application as Stanley Jaskiewicz and Therese Channaka (spelling?). This is important evidence because it matches with a Tarnow birth record for Josephus Jaskowicz. Again, the birth date in US docs doesn't match this parish record of baptism for the reasons I gave previously, but the parents are a match. I believe this is his birth record. I have seen a variety of spellings for his mother's surname in other family trees for Joseph that are closer to this original spelling of "Hernecki":

Name: Josephus Jaskowicz
Event Type: Baptism
Event Date: 08 Apr 1857
Event Place: Róża, Róża, Rzeszów, Poland
House Number: 46
Father's Name: Stanislaus Jaskowicz
Mother's Name: Theresia Hernecki
Volume Beginning Year: 1838
Volume Ending Year: 1864

Also, I found the 1892 Baltimore passenger list for Agnes Jaskowicz. She was traveling with her daughters: Caroline and Marianna. This suggests that her husband Joseph arrived in the US before her.

If you want any of these documents, let me know. And again, I think your best course of action is to ask Polish Origins to find the records for you. You have enough evidence to point a researcher in the right direction.

I hope this helps. Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
DianaC

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:55 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for your reply Cynthia! The information you listed for Josephus is all correct. Yes, this is his baptismal record. I was always confused about the Channaka/Hernecki spelling. Thank you for the information on that! No, he did not go through with his second marriage. There are stories about that Smile

No, I am actually not certain that the Agnes in the record you list died at an early age. I had thought it was my Great Grandmother as the age is right, and the villiage is so very close to Roza. But I have a copy of the church book with the baptismal record of the Agnes you list, and under her name it also has a cross and the date 08/15/1874. I interpretted that as a date of death? So I thought that maybe the infomation on the other family tree was correct and this Agnes did die young - or it at least gave me enough doubt that I could not say for fact this Agnes was my Great Grandmother.

Thank you so much for all your time and your response. It is so very much appreciated.

Diana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: