PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:47 am      Post subject: Surname: Fyda

My grandfather's family surname is Fyda and he lived in Luzna, Malopolska.
My mother said it was Polish, but I met a woman from Germany who said it is German.
I have checked the book, "Polish Surnames Origins and Meanings" by William F. Hoffman, but I found no Fyda listed.

Can anyone help me find the origin of Fyda?

Thanks
Mary
Send e-mail
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:19 am      Post subject:

Mary, I am not an expert, and I don't know how accurate this information is that I found online. At this site
http://www.americanlastnames.us/F/FYDA.html it says that the origin of the Fyda surname is Polish.

At this site https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Fyda it shows you the current (not sure of the exact year) distribution of the surname Fyda in Poland.

When I looked to see if there was a similiar surname map for Germany, I came across this site http://christoph.stoepel.net/geogen/en/Default.aspx The Fyda surname didn't appear.

If I remember correctly, some of my Polish surnames also do not appear in the Polish surname book.

I hope that someone who knows more will answer your question.
Cheri
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:14 am      Post subject: Fyda

Mary,

My grandmother's niece lives in Kruzlowa Ninza, her married name is Fyda. Kruzlowa Ninza is about 11.5 miles from Luzna. I do know that Fyda is a common name in this area of Nowy Sacz. The moikrewni map says there are #327 Fyda's in this area. On this map if you clicked on "How widespread is your name in Germany?- it gives the result of about #5 people in Germany with this surname. So it appears to be far more common in Poland than in Germany.

Do you know other surnames of your family from this region in Poland?

MaryAnne
jozefs
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 173

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:59 am      Post subject:

Fyda - in the group of names derived from the name of Theodore, recorded in Poland since the thirteenth century, Theodoros Greek origin, is from theos 'God' + doron 'gift'. In the old Polish also adapted as Czader, Czedor, occurred on the eastern borderlands and the East Slavic forms of the name Chodor, Fiedor a personal name from the German Feder.

http://www.stankiewicze.com/index.php?kat=44&sub=770

myonick

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:42 pm      Post subject:

MaryAnne
Thanks for your response. The following are the surnames in my family.
I have my grandmother's family Lichon and Swies were from the village Siolkowa, which is not far from Kruzlowa. My Great grandfather Piotr Fyda was born in Kruzlowa, his parents were Franciszek Fyda and Agnetis Pawlik. Other surnames: Forczek, Duchan, Cichon, all from the village Kruzlowa.

Cheri and Jozef
Thank you for you help with my question regardung Fyda. I find everyone on this forum very helpful and knowledgeable.
You are the best.
Mary
Send e-mail
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:42 am      Post subject:

Mary,

Please check your Polish Origins private messages, as I have submitted one to you.

MaryAnne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: