PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 41

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:52 am      Post subject: Questions regarding Polish Given Names

I have a question regarding Polish given names. I have a couple of relatives in my family tree where most of the records contain one given name, but the Marriage record contains another. The first is my great grandmother all of the birth records of the children and her death record have her given name as Agnieszka and the marriage record has her given name as Antonina.
I also have a Great Grand Father who is listed on all the records for the children as Felicjan, but the marriage record has him listed as Florian.
Could they both be different forms of the same name in Poland?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:48 am      Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Polish Given Names

cmasiak wrote:
I have a question regarding Polish given names. I have a couple of relatives in my family tree where most of the records contain one given name, but the Marriage record contains another. The first is my great grandmother all of the birth records of the children and her death record have her given name as Agnieszka and the marriage record has her given name as Antonina.
I also have a Great Grand Father who is listed on all the records for the children as Felicjan, but the marriage record has him listed as Florian.

Hi,

No, they are not variations of the same given name. The most likely explanation is scribal error. Most of the records available online or on microfilm or in archives are civil transcripts. Multiple copies were made for the civil government and the pastors of most parishes hired individuals who had decent handwriting to act as scribes. Making handwritten copies of handwritten documents lends to the copies containing errors—nothing intentional but simply a hazard arising from spending hours copying information.

Wishing you happy researching,

Dave
cmasiak

Replies: 41

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:52 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Dave. I didn't think they were, but since the marriage record for each contained a different name I was at a loss. It never occurred to me it could be a scriber's error.
Kim K

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:17 am      Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Polish Given Names

cmasiak wrote:

It's true that there are different roots and different saints for both but I can say that I have had the same Agnieszka/Antonina problem come up where I cannot tell if I'm looking at the same mother or two sisters as the mothers of two somehow-related people.

-Kim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: