PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 34

Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:19 am      Post subject: One more Polish photograph

I am also trying to identify the people who are in this photograph. Can someone tell me what is written on the back?

Thanks!

Polish relatives original1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  519.03 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Polish relatives original1.jpg

Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:31 pm      Post subject: Re: One more Polish photograph

ksmets wrote:
I am also trying to identify the people who are in this photograph. Can someone tell me what is written on the back?

Thanks!

Hi again,
Pretty much the same thing as on the other photograph. There is a tiny bit missing in the center, like maybe someone removed a piece of tape and lifted a bit of paper with it?

"Od mojej siostry dosta..[missing]..zad z Polskiej 3-16-65"

The missing bit probably is identical to what was written on your first photo. So, again, "I received from my sister in Poland" and the March 16, 1965 date. Clearly the photo is from a much earlier time.

Too bad you do not know who they are. This is a very lovely photo!

Best regards,
Sophia
ksmets
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:37 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much Sophia. This helps a lot. Meanwhile I got some help from my husband's older cousins, and they seem to recognize the children as some of their parents, aunts or uncles. No-one had seen a picture of the family that is this old before -- I found it taped on the bottom of an old chest that came from my husband's grandparents' house -- so this is pretty exciting!
Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:56 pm      Post subject:

ksmets wrote:
Thank you so much Sophia. This helps a lot. Meanwhile I got some help from my husband's older cousins, and they seem to recognize the children as some of their parents, aunts or uncles. No-one had seen a picture of the family that is this old before -- I found it taped on the bottom of an old chest that came from my husband's grandparents' house -- so this is pretty exciting!

The photo was taped on the bottom of an old chest! It's a great find, and I am glad you are getting help identifying the people.
I wonder, do you know anything about the pin that he is wearing on his lapel? It looks identical to one that is in a photo in my collection, also on a gentleman's lapel. Would you mind telling me where in Poland he was from? Do you know if the photo was taken in Poland? I have been wondering whether this pin represents a fraternal organization or what else it might be.
Sophia
ksmets
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:22 pm      Post subject:

The man in the photo is Michal Waclawek, who was born in 1886 in Broszkowice, a small Polish village not far from Oświęcim (Auschwitz), about 32 miles west of Krakow. He immigrated to the US in 1907 and settled in Calumet City (south of Chicago). I do not know anything more about the pin he was wearing.
Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:23 pm      Post subject:

ksmets wrote:
The man in the photo is Michal Waclawek, who was born in 1886 in Broszkowice, a small Polish village not far from Oświęcim (Auschwitz), about 32 miles west of Krakow. He immigrated to the US in 1907 and settled in Calumet City (south of Chicago). I do not know anything more about the pin he was wearing.

Thank you so much, Kristine, for your reply. I see no geographical connection between them, either where they came from or where they went to. I guess the pin will remain a mystery for me.
Feel free to post any other photo and captions that you need help with. I do enjoy looking at them.
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:11 pm      Post subject:

ksmets wrote:

Hi Kristine,

If you don’t have Michael’s wedding record from St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church in Cal City here is a link to the record https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-63LQ-5X1?i=50&wc=M66L-T38%3A39677001%2C39799101&cc=1452409 It is the last entry on page 58. It states that both he and his bride were from West Hammond. Calumet City at one time was known as Sobieski, Illinois and then as West Hammond, Illinois and then as Calumet City, Illinois. Attached are his and his wife’s burial records from Holy Cross Cemetery 801 Michigan City Road, Calumet City, Illinois. Evidently his sister in Poland sent him a copy of his wedding picture not long after the death of his wife Berince (Bronisława) in 1963. Also attached is a map of the cemetery showing the location of Section 13. If you’ve not seen this stuff, I hope you find it interesting.

Here is a link to the B&B of their son Aloysius https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-63LQ-2YV?i=53&wc=M66L-J38%3A39677001%2C39579202&cc=1452409
and their daughter Regina https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-63LQ-KZJ?i=75&wc=M66L-J38%3A39677001%2C39579202&cc=1452409
These records should confirm the identification of the two oldest children in the family picture.

Cool pics, don’t you agree, Sophia? Regina’s shoes are really the height of fashion.

Dave

Holy Cross Cemetery Map (Calumet City, Illinois)_LI.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  522.25 KB

Holy Cross Cemetery Map (Calumet City, Illinois)_LI.jpg

record-image_-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.53 KB

record-image_-1.jpg

record-image_.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.99 KB

record-image_.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:29 am      Post subject:

Hi Dave,
Cool pics, indeed! It's great the way the old photos include the shoes - - it does add interest to the pictures. The detail that caught my eye is that Michal's wedding ring is on his right hand, typical Polish placement as opposed to the North American way of wearing on the left hand.
All the best,
Sophia
ksmets
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:09 am      Post subject:

Thank you Dave and Sophia ... I appreciate all the help. I have done a fair amount of research into this family (my husband's ancestors) in the US, but have yet to find the Polish ancestors. I do have a bunch of other photographs of Polish relatives, with Polish handwriting on the reverse, so will probably ask for more help when I get to those.
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: