PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:03 pm      Post subject: Family of Great Grandmother (Woznicka)

Im looking for any nformation regarding my great grandmother. Her name was Ksavara Woznicka. She was born in Poland around 1893 but I'm not sure where. Possibly the Mazovia/Lodz area based on DNA from both my mom and me. From her marriage certificate here in the USA it lists her mother as Agnes Ritzisky. I'm not sure if the spelling of that is correct.
If I have the correct document she came to the USA on April 4 1912 from Hamburg.. She had a sister that also came to the USA and her name was Josephine. Also born in Poland, we have her birthdate as December 27, 1890. Her maiden name is listed as Wozniak. A different spelling from my great grandmother so I'm not sure which is correct.
We wonder what happened to her parents or if we have any decendants still living in Poland. Any help or information is much appreciated!
Lisa
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:26 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

You can see your family in the Geneteka database including birth indexes for Ksawera, her siblings, the marriage indexes for her parents, Mateusz Wozniak and Agnieszka Rozycka, and some death indexes as well. Here are the links

Births
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=07mz&rid=B&search_lastname=Rozycka&search_name=Agnieszka&search_lastname2=Wozniak&search_name2=Mateusz&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Marriages
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=07mz&rid=B&search_lastname=Rozycka&search_name=Agnieszka&search_lastname2=Wozniak&search_name2=Mateusz&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Deaths
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=D&w=07mz&rid=D&search_lastname=Rozycka&search_name=Agnieszka&search_lastname2=Wozniak&search_name2=Mateusz&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Their parish is Rościszewo in the village of Kuski near Sierpc, Mazowieckie.

I will look to see if the parish books are online.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:35 pm      Post subject:

Well, I can’t find any parish books online for the years you need. Family Search has the records but they are not digitized yet. Here is the link

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/270807?availability=Family%20History%20Library

It looks like you may need to hire a researcher at Polish Origins to take it further....

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Family of Great Grandmother

ljr115 wrote:
Im looking for any nformation regarding my great grandmother. Her name was Ksavara Woznicka. She was born in Poland around 1893 but I'm not sure where. Possibly the Mazovia/Lodz area based on DNA from both my mom and me. From her marriage certificate here in the USA it lists her mother as Agnes Ritzisky. I'm not sure if the spelling of that is correct.
If I have the correct document she came to the USA on April 4 1912 from Hamburg.. She had a sister that also came to the USA and her name was Josephine. Also born in Poland, we have her birthdate as December 27, 1890. Her maiden name is listed as Wozniak. A different spelling from my great grandmother so I'm not sure which is correct.
We wonder what happened to her parents or if we have any decendants still living in Poland. Any help or information is much appreciated!
Lisa

The documents indicated by mcdonald0517 are kept in The State Archives of Płock. I can order these documents for You.

PAYPAL: [email protected]

Last edited by marcelproust on Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:54 am      Post subject:

The Geneteka index had 1 scan available for the 1868 marriage Of Mateusz Wozniak and Agnieszka Rozycka. It is record 5 and written in Russian. I am attaching it here.

Cynthia

952A023C-2140-4E6C-8087-5FE880F06C3B.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  982.96 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

952A023C-2140-4E6C-8087-5FE880F06C3B.jpeg

Send e-mail
ljr115

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:45 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much Cynthia. I appreciate the information. We had no idea Ksavera had so many siblings. I will look into more research. I actually already sent a request for my information on my great grandfather on my moms side of the family. His name was John Winckiewicz and from what I've learned he was born in 1863 in Biezany, Mazowiecke and came to the USA in 1890. His wife was Ewa Bartzyk. I believe they were married in Poland but I'm not certain.
ANy information on them would be most appreciated. My goal is to take my mom to Poland to see where her grandparents came from. We came over about 8 years ago but didn't know anything at all about where the family came from. We jsut enjoyed Poland. My mom is 82 so I will need to do this soon.
I can't thank you enough for pointing me in the right direction!
Lisa
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:55 pm      Post subject:

Hi Lisa,

How many documents form the USA do you have for John Winckiewicz? I am especially interested to know if you have his death certificate. If so, please post it here. Also, Please list the documents that you have.

How do you know he was born in 1863 in Biezany? Do you have any documents to support that?

Let me know because I found a birth record, but am unsure if it is your ancestor.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
ljr115

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:09 pm      Post subject: Great Grandfather/Winckiewicz

Hi Cynthia,
hthttps://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/28687055/person/12104272670/factstps://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/28687055/person/12104272670/factshttps://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/28687055/person/12104272670/facts
I've attached links to the few documents I have.
Thank you so much for your help. My mom and I are grateful for your help. Please let me know if you need anything else. I have also spoken to Kasia about paying for more research. We are excited to learn anything we can.
All the best,
Lisa
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:07 pm      Post subject:

The link doesn’t work
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:11 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
The link doesn’t work

Hi Cynthia,
It seems like Lisa had a little difficulty adding the link to her message. See if this works for you:

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/28687055/person/12104272670/facts

Best regards,
Sophia
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:42 pm      Post subject:

Hi Lisa,

Here is what I discovered. And also, thank you Sophia, for correcting the link! Note tha (R) means I have a record that supports the date / information.

John Winckiewicz

Born: Dec 1866-1868 (R)
Imm: 1888-1890,New York (R)
Mar: Jan 25, 1892, Detroit, MI, to Eva Bartowska (R)
1919-1920 to Victoria ? (R)
Nat: March 13, 1895, Erie County, New York (R)
Death: Jul 5, 1958, Michigan (R)

Children:

Wincenty: Born May 17, 1893, Detroit, MI (R)
Waclaw: Born May 20, 1894, Buffalo, NY (R)
Stanislaw: Born 1897, New York, (R)
Genowefa: Born 1900, Michigan, (R)
Franciszek: Born 1903, Michigan, (R)
Monica Lottie: Born 1906, Michigan, (R)
Edward: Born 1910-1912, Michigan, (R) changed his surname to Wendrick)

Eva died about 1919 and John remarried a woman named Victoria.

Notes:

1. WW 1 draft registration card for Vincent indicates he was born in Detroit Michigan.
2. WW1 draft registration card for Waclaw indicates he was born in Buffalo New York.
3. 1930 census Record for Stanley indicates he was born in New York. It also indicates he was an inmate at the Iona Michigan reformatory prison.
4. The passport application for Genevieve indicates that her father John came to the United States in 1890 through the port of New York. She also provided a certificate of his citizenship which was dated March 13, 1895 in Erie County New York. Unfortunately that certificate was not filmed as part of her passport application.
5. census record for 1910 show the family living in Detroit Michigan. Census record for 1920 shows the family living in Detroit Michigan but he has a different wife by the name of Victoria. This means that Eva died between 1910 and 1920.
6. Census record for 1940 shows John living with his son Edward in Michigan. It also indicates he is a widower which means Victoria also died between 1920 and 1940. The census record also shows that Edward changed his last name to Wendrick.
7. I found the marriage application for John and Eva in Detroit Michigan. They were married in January 1892. However John lists his fathers name as Simon on the application. This does not agree with the Social Security death claims record showing his parents as John and Leokadia. Note that Eva’s surname in the marriage record is Bartowska while other records reported by her children use the name Barczak or Bartzak.

This family moved between New York and Michigan. It seems that John arrived in New York in 1888-1890 then found his way to Detroit Michigan probably for work maybe in the auto industry. There he met and married Eva in 1892. They had their first child Vincent in 1893 in Michigan. They then traveled back to New York to Erie county. There Eva gave birth to Waclaw in 1894 and Stanislaw in 1897. While the family was in New York John applied for his citizenship in March of 1895. The 1900 census places them back in Michigan. They remain in Michigan from that time forward.

The reports of Biezany or Biezun as John’s place of birth seem to come from two documents for his children. None of John’s own documents provides his place of birth. There is also conflicting information regarding the names of his parents. The 1958 death record indicates his parents as John and Leokadia. However his marriage application lists his father as Simon and mother as unknown.

Before you can search for his birth record in Poland you must first clarify this conflicting information by researching more documents in the United States. I suggest the following:

1. John’s marriage application in Michigan indicates the name of the pastor who married them and the date they were married. It is most likely they were married in a Polish Catholic church in Detroit. I suggest you contact the Roman catholic diocese of Detroit and ask them to do a search for John’s sacramental marriage record. These records often contain the name of the parents as well as their birth location in Poland. It is worth a try especially now that you have the exact date of their marriage.
2. Genevieve‘s passport application indicates that her father John’s naturalization took place on March 13, 1895 in the circuit court of Erie County New York. I suggest you contact the clerk of Erie county in New York and request a search for John’s naturalization application and records. This also may have information about his place of origin in Poland as well as the exact date of his arrival in the United States which can lead you to locating his passenger list.
3. I am a bit puzzled by the July 5, 1958 Social Security claim record for John’s death. If that is his record it means he was about 90 years old when he died. That is not impossible however it is unusual for that period of time. I suggest you contact Wayne county in Michigan and request a search for John’s death record. His death certificate may have the names of his parents and the location of his place of birth in Poland. Are you sure the S.S. Claim record is your John?
4. You might also try requesting the Roman catholic diocese of Detroit to search for the sacramental burial record for John. You may discover the location of his grave as well as names of his parents and his village of birth.

I am posting the 1892 marriage record for a John and Eva with this reply. I have about 5-6 other records that you don’t have. If you would like them, please send me a private message through Polish Origins with your email address.

Best,
Cynthia

1892 John Winckiewicz marriage2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.89 MB

1892 John Winckiewicz marriage2.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:59 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi Lisa,

Here is what I discovered. And also, thank you Sophia, for correcting the link! Note tha (R) means I have a record that supports the date / information.

John Winckiewicz

Born: Dec 1866-1868 (R)
Imm: 1888-1890,New York (R)
Mar: Jan 25, 1892, Detroit, MI, to Eva Bartowska (R)
1919-1920 to Victoria ? (R)
Nat: March 13, 1895, Erie County, New York (R)
Death: Jul 5, 1958, Michigan (R)

Children:

Wincenty: Born May 17, 1893, Detroit, MI (R)
Waclaw: Born May 20, 1894, Buffalo, NY (R)
Stanislaw: Born 1897, New York, (R)
Genowefa: Born 1900, Michigan, (R)
Franciszek: Born 1903, Michigan, (R)
Monica Lottie: Born 1906, Michigan, (R)
Edward: Born 1910-1912, Michigan, (R) changed his surname to Wendrick)

Eva died about 1919 and John remarried a woman named Victoria.

Notes:

1. WW 1 draft registration card for Vincent indicates he was born in Detroit Michigan.
2. WW1 draft registration card for Waclaw indicates he was born in Buffalo New York.
3. 1930 census Record for Stanley indicates he was born in New York. It also indicates he was an inmate at the Iona Michigan reformatory prison.
4. The passport application for Genevieve indicates that her father John came to the United States in 1890 through the port of New York. She also provided a certificate of his citizenship which was dated March 13, 1895 in Erie County New York. Unfortunately that certificate was not filmed as part of her passport application.
5. census record for 1910 show the family living in Detroit Michigan. Census record for 1920 shows the family living in Detroit Michigan but he has a different wife by the name of Victoria. This means that Eva died between 1910 and 1920.
6. Census record for 1940 shows John living with his son Edward in Michigan. It also indicates he is a widower which means Victoria also died between 1920 and 1940. The census record also shows that Edward changed his last name to Wendrick.
7. I found the marriage application for John and Eva in Detroit Michigan. They were married in January 1892. However John lists his fathers name as Simon on the application. This does not agree with the Social Security death claims record showing his parents as John and Leokadia. Note that Eva’s surname in the marriage record is Bartowska while other records reported by her children use the name Barczak or Bartzak.

This family moved between New York and Michigan. It seems that John arrived in New York in 1888-1890 then found his way to Detroit Michigan probably for work maybe in the auto industry. There he met and married Eva in 1892. They had their first child Vincent in 1893 in Michigan. They then traveled back to New York to Erie county. There Eva gave birth to Waclaw in 1894 and Stanislaw in 1897. While the family was in New York John applied for his citizenship in March of 1895. The 1900 census places them back in Michigan. They remain in Michigan from that time forward.

The reports of Biezany or Biezun as John’s place of birth seem to come from two documents for his children. None of John’s own documents provides his place of birth. There is also conflicting information regarding the names of his parents. The 1958 death record indicates his parents as John and Leokadia. However his marriage application lists his father as Simon and mother as unknown.

Before you can search for his birth record in Poland you must first clarify this conflicting information by researching more documents in the United States. I suggest the following:

1. John’s marriage application in Michigan indicates the name of the pastor who married them and the date they were married. It is most likely they were married in a Polish Catholic church in Detroit. I suggest you contact the Roman catholic diocese of Detroit and ask them to do a search for John’s sacramental marriage record. These records often contain the name of the parents as well as their birth location in Poland. It is worth a try especially now that you have the exact date of their marriage.
2. Genevieve‘s passport application indicates that her father John’s naturalization took place on March 13, 1895 in the circuit court of Erie County New York. I suggest you contact the clerk of Erie county in New York and request a search for John’s naturalization application and records. This also may have information about his place of origin in Poland as well as the exact date of his arrival in the United States which can lead you to locating his passenger list.
3. I am a bit puzzled by the July 5, 1958 Social Security claim record for John’s death. If that is his record it means he was about 90 years old when he died. That is not impossible however it is unusual for that period of time. I suggest you contact Wayne county in Michigan and request a search for John’s death record. His death certificate may have the names of his parents and the location of his place of birth in Poland. Are you sure the S.S. Claim record is your John?
4. You might also try requesting the Roman catholic diocese of Detroit to search for the sacramental burial record for John. You may discover the location of his grave as well as names of his parents and his village of birth.

I am posting the 1892 marriage record for a John and Eva with this reply. I have about 5-6 other records that you don’t have. If you would like them, please send me a private message through Polish Origins with your email address.

Best,
Cynthia

Hi Lisa & Cynthia,

Here are links to documents I did not see on Cynthia’s list. Lisa, if they on your Ancestry tree I apologize for repeating them. I do not have an Ancestry subscription and could not see what docs you have. The Census does not agree with info found in the docs Cynthia located so it adds another dimension to the puzzle. The WWI service record for Wacław contradicts data in the 1900 Census but also provides more complete info about him. Here are the two links and info regarding Camp Custer:
1900 Census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6W3G-JP?i=14&cc=1325221&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AM9BB-MZZ
WWI Military service of Wacław:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP5G-RRBW
Camp Custer: https://ss.sites.mtu.edu/mhugl/2016/10/16/camp-custer-and-world-war-1/
Cynthia, I, of course, agree with you about the value of ecclesiastical marriage records. However, most dioceses in the US do not house Sacramental records for active or merged parishes in the diocesan archives. Their collection of records is usually limited to those from closed parishes (of which the Archdiocese of Detroit has many). But I very much doubt that the archives would run a general search of marriage records from closed parishes to look for a specific marriage without knowing the parish where the event took place. Here is a link to the closed parishes of the Archdiocese of Detroit: https://info.aod.org/hc/en-us/articles/360037640274-Closed-Parishes
My go to source for connecting a priest to a Polish Catholic parish is Wacław Kruszka’s Historia Polska w Ameryce published in 1908. The title is a bit deceiving since the work only deals with the history of Catholic parishes and organizations in the USA. Unless one has a fluent reading ability in Polish the book probably would be of little value. However, Kruszka devoted quite a bit of space to Fr. Kolasiński. I learned that the initials on the civil marriage record Cynthia provided stand for his given names Dominic Hippolytus Kolasiński. He was the pastor of Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church when he blessed the marriage of Jan & Ewa. Lisa, it would be good if you could contact the merged parish to request a copy of the marriage record. Ask for either a photo copy if the proper page in the marriage register (or second best option, a complete transcript of the record). You do not want a marriage certificate since that will not give you the birth & baptism info from Europe which you need to move your research forward. Here is the link to the parish contact info: https://directory.aod.org/#/parish/7738/mother-of-divine-mercy-parish and here is a link to some historical background: https://www.motherofdivinemercy.org/sweetest-heart-of-mary The question of the relationship of parishes and their physical assets to the diocesan bishop was a really major issue during the last decade of the 19th and the first decade of the 20th Centuries. Some priests and their parishes did not resolve the question and broke away from the RC Church and formed the Polish National Catholic Church which is considered a schismatic group which currently has no connection to the RC Church. That, however, is a different topic for another day.

Cynthia, your suggestion that the Winckiewicz family move to Detroit for work opportunities would be very plausible after the middle of the first decade of the 20th Century but not during the last decade of the 19th Century. Prior to Henry Ford’s introduction of the assembly line autos were assembled by skilled craftsmen and there were very few work opportunities for unskilled laborers in the industry. The following link provides a glimpse of the early automobile industry in Detroit: https://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/motor_city_the_history_of_the_auto_industry_in_detroit.html

Attached are a list of Polish parishes in Buffalo, NY and in Detroit, Michigan. Note that the letters PNC connected to a parish name indicate that it was a parish of the Polish National Catholic Church. The rest of the parishes are Roman Catholic parishes. The parenthesis with the letter “c” indicates that the parish had a cemetery.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave

Page 356.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  432.93 KB

Page 356.jpg

Page 351.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  478.04 KB

Page 351.jpg

ljr115

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:22 pm      Post subject: Great Grandfather/Winckiewicz

Thank you Cynthia and Dave! I have contacted the church here in Detroit but had to leave a message. The church is only about 20 minutes from my house so my mom and I will definately go see it. I also have a friend that works for the archdiocese here in Detroit. I'm hoping he can help me as well.
I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks again!
Lisa
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:33 pm      Post subject:

Hi Lisa,

I sent you my personal email in a private Message. I have a lot more information for you and about a dozen documents that you dont have. It is easier for me to send them through personal email. So, check your Polish origins inbox to get my personal email, and use it to send me your personal email. Then, I can send you what I have.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: