PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:18 pm      Post subject: Figuring out name from Wigry parish record

Hello, everyone.

I am researching my grandmother's grandmother, who was born in Mackowa Ruda in the Wigry parish. I found the entry of her birth but can't figure out what her mother's last name is. The first name is clearly Magdalena and I think the last name ends ----micziech. Would love to hear some opinions about the beginning of the name -- does it start with W or D? is the letter with the bottom tail Z or Y? are the vowels O or A?

Please see attached.

Thank you very much!

Carol

Magadelena.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.31 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Magadelena.JPG

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:29 pm      Post subject: Re: Figuring out name from parish record

cjsulcoski wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I am researching my grandmother's grandmother, who was born in Mackowa Ruda in the Wigry parish. I found the entry of her birth but can't figure out what her mother's last name is. The first name is clearly Magdalena and I think the last name ends ----micziech. Would love to hear some opinions about the beginning of the name -- does it start with W or D? is the letter with the bottom tail Z or Y? are the vowels O or A?

Please see attached.

Thank you very much!

Carol

Warakomska.
Please provide the web link to the whole document.

PAYPAL: [email protected]

Last edited by marcelproust on Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:29 pm      Post subject: Re: Figuring out name from parish record

cjsulcoski wrote:
Hello, everyone.

Please see attached.

Thank you very much!

Carol

Hi Carol,
I think her last name is Warakomska.
You actually made it a little difficult to decipher, by only posting a small section of the record. I understand that you were trying to help us focus in on the name. However, one of the things that assists in figuring out handwriting is to see how the writer formed various letters, which would be more possible if you had left more of the image there to see. No worries, though.
The ending of her name gets changed by the rules of grammar, and the "z" between her first name and her last name was my clue that I would need to clip off those last few letters that you are seeing.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Sophia
cjsulcoski

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:02 pm      Post subject:

I'm so sorry about that! I've attached the full record. Her dad's name is Antoni Pietrowicz. Thanks so much!

This is my translation so far:

Maćkowa Ruda – near Wigry on the seventeenth (?) day of March, one thousand eight hundred forty-seventh year, at the hour XXXXXX, presented himself Antoni Pietrewicz of XXXX years, having resided in Maćkowa Ruda XXXXXXXX.
In the presence of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and showed us the child, a girl, born in Maćkowa Ruda, XXXXXXXXXXXX
Of his wife Magdelena XXXXXXXXX of years thirty and given the name Rozalia Jozefata. Her godparents were Marcin Milewski (?) and Franciszka DoXXXXXXX, both XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
Father and witnesses being illiterate

Rozalia Pietrowicz possible birth #51.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.82 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Rozalia Pietrowicz possible birth #51.jpg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:22 pm      Post subject:

cjsulcoski wrote:
I'm so sorry about that! I've attached the full record. Her dad's name is Antoni Pietrowicz. Thanks so much!

Maćkowa Ruda – near Wigry on the seventeenth (?) day of March, one thousand eight hundred forty-seventh year, at the hour XXXXXX, presented himself Antoni Pietrewicz of XXXX years, having resided in Maćkowa Ruda XXXXXXXX.
In the presence of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and showed us the child, a girl, born in Maćkowa Ruda, XXXXXXXXXXXX
Of his wife Magdelena XXXXXXXXX of years thirty and given the name Rozalia Jozefata. Her godparents were Marcin Milewski (?) and Franciszka DoXXXXXXX, both XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

the child was given the name Jozefata, not Rozalia.

Translation:
Maćkowa Ruda

It happened in Wigry, on March 17th, one thousand eight hundred forty-seventh year, at 5 p.m.
Appeared Antoni Pietrewicz, 40 years old, farmer, living in the village of Maćkowa Ruda, in the presence of Jakub Nowel and Wawrzyniec Jakubowski, each of them 40 years old, farmers, living in Maćkowa Ruda, and presented a female infant child, born on March 16th of the current year, at 3 a.m., of his wife Magdalena nee Warakomska, 30 years old.
At The Holy Baptism, held today, the child was given the name Jozefata, and the godparents were: Marcin Milewski and Franciszka Warakomska, both from Maćkowa Ruda.
This act was read to the present and was signed by Us. The child's father and the witnesses are illiterate.

Priest F. Naruszewicz, parson of the parish of Wigry.

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:38 pm      Post subject:

cjsulcoski wrote:

Hi Carol!
Don't worry about it! Once you've spent a little more time here on the forum, it will be easier for you to see what kind of info to include with your question.
I do want to say that you made excellent progress trying to do the translation yourself. It's great when Marcel steps in and does the translating for you, as he did here, but I want to encourage you to keep trying to see the words for yourself. I am guessing from what you wrote that you were hoping to find a baptism record for Rosalia, and since this one turned out to be for Jozefata, I imagine that you will keep looking.
Good luck!
Sophia

P.S. I just looked at the index for the 1847 births, and she is, in fact, indexed as Rozalia Jozefata Pietrewiczowna. Puzzling. OK, the -owna part is not puzzling, but the lack of the name Rozalia in the actual record is puzzling.
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.pl/63/167/0/1/61/str/1/2/15/t0n9Ng-H1mMfsxej3Bu_sw/#tabSkany
I would just add that these images are from "Duplikat akt urodzonych, zaślubionych i umarłych w parafii wigierskiej" which is the duplicate book, that is, the copy of the original book. One may assume, then, that her name really was Rozalia Jozefata, and when her record was copied the Rosalia was left out in error, but the index was copied correctly.
cjsulcoski

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:56 am      Post subject:

Thank you so much, Sophia and Marcel! And thank you for answering my question about why the index says Rozalia Jozefata but the record does not.

This is such a fantastic forum, I really appreciate all of your help.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:41 am      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
cjsulcoski wrote:

P.S. I just looked at the index for the 1847 births, and she is, in fact, indexed as Rozalia Jozefata Pietrewiczowna. Puzzling. OK, the -owna part is not puzzling, but the lack of the name Rozalia in the actual record is puzzling.
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.pl/63/167/0/1/61/str/1/2/15/t0n9Ng-H1mMfsxej3Bu_sw/#tabSkany
I would just add that these images are from "Duplikat akt urodzonych, zaślubionych i umarłych w parafii wigierskiej" which is the duplicate book, that is, the copy of the original book. One may assume, then, that her name really was Rozalia Jozefata, and when her record was copied the Rosalia was left out in error, but the index was copied correctly.

I think that the scribe, who copied the original book, made few mistakes. When we take a look at the birth record number 52, there is no name of the child written, but the index on Geneteka says that the child's name was: Antoni.
One should consider whether the person who indexed these documents did it on the basis of the original book or just made a mistake. Because in the record number 52, with empty place for the child's name, indexed on Geneteka as Antoni, the name of the child's father is Antoni too.

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:54 am      Post subject:

marcelproust wrote:
Sophia wrote:

I think that the scribe, who copied the original book, made few mistakes. When we take a look at the birth record number 52, there is no name of the child written, but the index on Geneteka says that the child's name was: Antoni.
One should consider whether the person who indexed these documents did it on the basis of the original book or just made a mistake. Because in the record number 52, with empty place for the child's name, indexed on Geneteka as Antoni, the name of the child's father is Antoni too.

You have very good eyes, Marcel!
If you look at the index in the "duplikat akt" book, it matches exactly what the index on Geneteka says. That is, it shows Rozalia Jozefata in Akt 51 and Antoni in Akt 52.
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.pl/63/167/0/1/61/str/1/2/15/TDq-ZPkV34DdrvisxIldFA/#tabSkany
I think the scribe who wrote the duplicate book needed a little more coffee!
All the best,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: