PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 92

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:20 am      Post subject: Help regarding payment for Records via SWIFT

Greetings all,
I have ordered some records from USC - Tomaszów-Lubelski and I've been asked to pay 15zł 'na konto Urzędu Miasta' via SWIFT (followed by a lot of letters and numbers). Any help in enabling me to do this would be appreciated.

Merry Xmas to all,
Henry Soszynski
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:08 am      Post subject: Re: Help regarding payment for Records via SWIFT

Henry Soszynski wrote:
Greetings all,
I have ordered some records from USC - Tomaszów-Lubelski and I've been asked to pay 15zł 'na konto Urzędu Miasta' via SWIFT (followed by a lot of letters and numbers). Any help in enabling me to do this would be appreciated.

Merry Xmas to all,
Henry Soszynski

Hi Henry,
It's not so much that you are making the payment via SWIFT, as if SWIFT were a service provider. A SWIFT number (also called a SWIFT code) is just a way of identifying a specific branch of a specific bank.
What you can do is find an international wire transfer service (you might be familiar with Western Union, or Wells Fargo, or just do an online search, there are many) that will allow you to have the money sent to that particular SWIFT code, specifically to the account of the "Urzędu Miasta" as you were instructed. In this way, you will be able to make your payment in zloty as they request.
15 zloty is such a small amount of money. I fear you may find that the fee for sending the wire transfer will cost you more than this!
Many people are more comfortable using their own bank, but I am not sure if all banks are able to do international transfers in the currency of your choice. It depends where you live and where you bank.
I hope this helps.
Sophia
PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:02 pm      Post subject:

If you want a low cost (in terms of fees) reliable transfer service I would recommend using Transferwise. I have used it to transfer for low value amounts to both USCs and Archives office.
Tom
Henry Soszynski

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:01 am      Post subject: Re: Help regarding payment for Records via SWIFT

Sophia wrote:
Henry Soszynski wrote:
Greetings all,

Merry Xmas to all,
Henry Soszynski

Hi Henry,
It's not so much that you are making the payment via SWIFT, as if SWIFT were a service provider. A SWIFT number (also called a SWIFT code) is just a way of identifying a specific branch of a specific bank.
What you can do is find an international wire transfer service (you might be familiar with Western Union, or Wells Fargo, or just do an online search, there are many) that will allow you to have the money sent to that particular SWIFT code, specifically to the account of the "Urzędu Miasta" as you were instructed. In this way, you will be able to make your payment in zloty as they request.
15 zloty is such a small amount of money. I fear you may find that the fee for sending the wire transfer will cost you more than this!
Many people are more comfortable using their own bank, but I am not sure if all banks are able to do international transfers in the currency of your choice. It depends where you live and where you bank.
I hope this helps.
Sophia

Hi Sophia,
Thanks for info, since I was starting out with zero knowledge regarding money transfer, your suggestions were most useful. I started with your last tip, namely using one's own bank to make the transfer, all went well until the final hurdle. The bank stipulated a minimum transfer of 300zl. I then registered with Western Union, but that was too convoluted for me. I then tried Tom's suggestion and that worked well and the cost was almost negligible.

All the best to you all,
Cheers,
Henry Soszynski
Henry Soszynski

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:05 am      Post subject:

PabianAus wrote:
If you want a low cost (in terms of fees) reliable transfer service I would recommend using Transferwise. I have used it to transfer for low value amounts to both USCs and Archives office.
Tom

Thanks Tom, the transfer was easy and so far all has gone well.

Have a great Chrissy (hopefully you're not in NSW),
Cheers,
Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: