PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:19 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sophia and Adrian,

Nice work on the historical pieces! It really brings the research alive to have this kind of historical context.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
[email protected]

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:42 am      Post subject: Very interesting Clues!

Hi Sophia,

I did follow your instructions, which were excellent and believe I found the 2 pages for the small village school house in Nowa Wies, near Kety. There were a total of 8 school-children with the names Naglik or Naglikowna. More importantly many match names that appear to be part of my family tree, specifically Jan, Ignacy, Franciszek, Anna, and Antonina (twice), and there were only 2 other names in that list in 1926.

The population today of Nowa Wies near Kety (Biala powiat/region) is about 3,200, so fairly small. It is estimated that there are about 60 Naglik families now in the area, so the proportion of Nagliks to village population is very small around 2%, and likely less than that in 1926 as families expand over 3 generations.

I checked the neighboring schools and found no Nagliks in about 5-8 kilometre radius for the others schools. Now returning to my grandfather Jan Ignacy Naglik he was believed to be on a farm very near Nowa Wies, likely in Kanczuga, based on the passenger records of his uncle, Stanislaw Jacuk Naglik, born on April 23, 1886 in Kanczuga, Nowa Wies, Biala. However, Stanislaw Naglik emigrated to Hamtramck, Detroit Michigan in 1903 and had all of his children in the eastern United States including Detroit where he died. So Stanislaw's side has not given rise to these Naglik school children found in 1926.

So in my hypothesis, the 8 Naglik children found as elementary children in grades 3 and 4 are likely the children of Jan Naglik's siblings, possibly a cousin, but more likely 2-3 brothers that we understood he may have had and remained in Poland, while Jan went to Canada in 1930. You'll note that there were 2 Antonina Nagikowna's in the school signatures and I believe this is significant as each brother of my grandfather may have chosen a special commemorative name for these daughters who must come from separate but related families. My grandfather, Jan Naglik, had a prior marriage around 1925 to Filomena and also had a daughter named Antonina born in 1926. So, she would just have been born at the time of the school list in 1926. The unproven assumption at this point is that his 2 brothers, may have also given the name Antonina to each of their daughters as well.

I know from the marriage record of Jan's uncle, Stanislaw Naglik to Anna Klezyk in Oct. 1905 in Delray, Detroit, that Stanislaw's father was Franciszek Naglik. That places my grandfather's grandfather's name as Franciszek Naglik, one of the names in the school records, who could have been named after a paternal grandfather. You'll see that between my grandfather, Jan Ignacy, his grandfather Franciszek, Antonina, and Anna as my grandfather's mother's name that many of the school children's names could have family significance of being named after a close ancestor.

I think these particular school records will prove with time to have some key significance although this will still need to be verified. I'm seeking the Nowa Wies parish records for my grandfather, Jan Ignacy Naglik, but at this point some possible assumptions are as follows:

The oldest relative Franciszek Naglik, was born around 1856 in Maloposkie region of Poland. Franciszek may have had at least 2 sons:

(1) Stanislaw Jakub Naglik (known as Stanley Jack in Detroit) born on Apr 23, 1886 in Kanczuga, Nowa Wies, Biala. He married Anna mentioned above and is my grandfather's known uncle. Their 8 children are all born in the USA, some in Detroit, but elsewhere as Stanley worked as a miner and other labour jobs.

(2) possibly Ignacy Naglik born on Mar 26, 1878 also in Kanczuga, Nowa Wies, Biala. He had at least 3 sons, one of which could be my grandfather, Jan Ignacy Naglik born in 1901 in Nowa Wies, Biala. The other two sons may have had several of the children that were registered in the Nowa Wies school house you found in 1926.

The latter points in item (2) are assumptions to be confirmed, but progress and pieces appear to be fitting together as the Nowa Wies puzzle starts to be put together more. I'll continue to work on this and seeing if these theories bear fruit, but there is a further picture starting to emerge thanks to this valuable help (both you and Cynthia ably provided me).

As you can see your research has been very helpful with parts of this puzzle, to be confirmed with the parish records. I did get an e-mail in reply from the chief diocesan archivist for Biala, pointing me to the Nowa Wies parish and the Kety civil records, and older parish archives in Krakow. I've since e-mailed those 3 places, so this is progressing at least.

Thank you so much and if you or others find anything related, please let me know!

Adrian
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:09 am      Post subject: Re: Very interesting Clues!

[email protected] wrote:
Hi Sophia,

I did follow your instructions, which were excellent and believe I found the 2 pages for the small village school house in Nowa Wies, near Kety. There were a total of 8 school-children with the names Naglik or Naglikowna. More importantly many match names that appear to be part of my family tree, specifically Jan, Ignacy, Franciszek, Anna, and Antonina (twice), and there were only 2 other names in that list in 1926.

The population today of Nowa Wies near Kety (Biala powiat/region) is about 3,200, so fairly small. It is estimated that there are about 60 Naglik families now in the area, so the proportion of Nagliks to village population is very small around 2%, and likely less than that in 1926 as families expand over 3 generations.

I checked the neighboring schools and found no Nagliks in about 5-8 kilometre radius for the others schools. Now returning to my grandfather Jan Ignacy Naglik he was believed to be on a farm very near Nowa Wies, likely in Kanczuga, based on the passenger records of his uncle, Stanislaw Jacuk Naglik, born on April 23, 1886 in Kanczuga, Nowa Wies, Biala. However, Stanislaw Naglik emigrated to Hamtramck, Detroit Michigan in 1903 and had all of his children in the eastern United States including Detroit where he died. So Stanislaw's side has not given rise to these Naglik school children found in 1926.

So in my hypothesis, the 8 Naglik children found as elementary children in grades 3 and 4 are likely the children of Jan Naglik's siblings, possibly a cousin, but more likely 2-3 brothers that we understood he may have had and remained in Poland, while Jan went to Canada in 1930. You'll note that there were 2 Antonina Nagikowna's in the school signatures and I believe this is significant as each brother of my grandfather may have chosen a special commemorative name for these daughters who must come from separate but related families. My grandfather, Jan Naglik, had a prior marriage around 1925 to Filomena and also had a daughter named Antonina born in 1926. So, she would just have been born at the time of the school list in 1926. The unproven assumption at this point is that his 2 brothers, may have also given the name Antonina to each of their daughters as well.

I know from the marriage record of Jan's uncle, Stanislaw Naglik to Anna Klezyk in Oct. 1905 in Delray, Detroit, that Stanislaw's father was Franciszek Naglik. That places my grandfather's grandfather's name as Franciszek Naglik, one of the names in the school records, who could have been named after a paternal grandfather. You'll see that between my grandfather, Jan Ignacy, his grandfather Franciszek, Antonina, and Anna as my grandfather's mother's name that many of the school children's names could have family significance of being named after a close ancestor.

I think these particular school records will prove with time to have some key significance although this will still need to be verified. I'm seeking the Nowa Wies parish records for my grandfather, Jan Ignacy Naglik, but at this point some possible assumptions are as follows:

The oldest relative Franciszek Naglik, was born around 1856 in Maloposkie region of Poland. Franciszek may have had at least 2 sons:

(1) Stanislaw Jakub Naglik (known as Stanley Jack in Detroit) born on Apr 23, 1886 in Kanczuga, Nowa Wies, Biala. He married Anna mentioned above and is my grandfather's known uncle. Their 8 children are all born in the USA, some in Detroit, but elsewhere as Stanley worked as a miner and other labour jobs.

(2) possibly Ignacy Naglik born on Mar 26, 1878 also in Kanczuga, Nowa Wies, Biala. He had at least 3 sons, one of which could be my grandfather, Jan Ignacy Naglik born in 1901 in Nowa Wies, Biala. The other two sons may have had several of the children that were registered in the Nowa Wies school house you found in 1926.

The latter points in item (2) are assumptions to be confirmed, but progress and pieces appear to be fitting together as the Nowa Wies puzzle starts to be put together more. I'll continue to work on this and seeing if these theories bear fruit, but there is a further picture starting to emerge thanks to this valuable help (both you and Cynthia ably provided me).

As you can see your research has been very helpful with parts of this puzzle, to be confirmed with the parish records. I did get an e-mail in reply from the chief diocesan archivist for Biala, pointing me to the Nowa Wies parish and the Kety civil records, and older parish archives in Krakow. I've since e-mailed those 3 places, so this is progressing at least.

Thank you so much and if you or others find anything related, please let me know!

Adrian

Hi Adrian,
Excellent! You found them! Isn't this fun?
Your logic about how these names may fit in to your family is very solid.
Since the Biala towns are listed one after another (although not alphabetically) in the Polish declarations images, I did go through them a bit myself and I saw a few more details. In the Nowa Wies school, I counted 9 Naglik/Naglikowna. In addition to the names you listed above, there is a boy Feliks in klasa I, a girl Helena in klasa II and a boy Juljan in klasa IV, but it seems these are names that aren't showing up (yet!) elsewhere in your family tree.
You may want to go take a look at the school in Malec, Biala, where there are additional Naglik/Naglikowna pupils (Wladyslaw, Rozalia, Antoni, Grzegorz and two Zofja's) as well as the name at the top of that page in the box for Trustee, Adam Naglik (so now you have the name of an adult in 1926). Malec seems quite close to Nowa Wies and Kanczuga.
Here's another thought. Marriages happened in the church of the bride, so if you are able to go through these images again and you spot an isolated cluster of Krysa kids, then you might gain a clue as to where to look for a marriage record (if they are farther afield than villages that belonged to the Kety church). If there are Krysa kids in lots of villages, then there is no clue waiting to be found. It's just a thought.
I hope you keep us posted on your progress with obtaining vital records from the church or the archives.
All the best,
Sophia
P.S. I did watch the video, not the entire hour + , but the section relevant to Kety. The old footage from WWI is so fascinating to see. All the more so, as Remembrance Day approaches.
[email protected]

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:17 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,
It was lots of fun to discover this so thank you for finding these Nowa Wies school records! I appreciate you checking the neighboring schools and have noted your comments which are correct and have added these to my research notes.

I will look around for possible parish of the Krysa family, which could have been Krysta in this area.

I'll let you know as I hear more about the vital records and see if I can find out more. I'm glad you enjoyed the video segment.

Keep in touch and all the best,

Adrian
jimpaprocki

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:15 am      Post subject:

Now let's skip ahead to present day Poland. A number of years ago you could search on the social media site 'Nasza Klasa,' Our Class in Poland. It may still exist, but many of the participants have moved. To guess where? Facebook! So do a search for 'Naglik' and you will find OliwiaNaglikPhoto from Kety, Poland 32-650, with a link to her personal page. She has 1300 friends, 17 are Naglik, with a few from Kety.
[email protected]

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:48 am      Post subject:

Hi Jim, This is a great suggestion so really appreciate this!

Several days ago, I did send out a Facebook request to similar surnames with Naglik in the area. I did up a nice message in Polish via messenger. I assume if I haven't received any reply in a few weeks if the person is active on FB, it's unlikely I'll hear back from them. I know everyone is different in responses, but I assume others have tried this, so just wondering how long to give this approach before moving on. I appreciate any insight as expect others have had experience with FB and searching this way.

Much appreciated any thoughts and I liked your suggestion a lot, but just wondering if this gets results for those who may have tried this.

Thank you,

Adrian

Last edited by [email protected] on Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimpaprocki

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:24 am      Post subject:

It depends how active they are. If their last post was 20 Apr 2012, then chances are slim. But it appears Oliwia is active (even though her Photo page is not), so give it a try. Try a Friend request and include a short message in that request.
[email protected]

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:50 pm      Post subject:

Hi Jim,

I appreciate your excellent advice and will send out a Friend request.
Thank you,

Adrian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: