PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1481

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:33 am      Post subject: Article: Boyhood Memories of Detroit and its Environs

Boyhood Memories of Detroit and its Environs by Charles Ciechanowski-Chinoski-Chase.

Be forewarned, this is a large (about 12 MBs) pdf file with many, already historical, pictures. And definitely worth opening Smile .
For Kindle users I prepared a simple Kindle version of the story available to download from this link (After downloading to your hard drive plug in your Kindle via a USB cable. Drag the file to the Documents folder on your Kindle and you're done. You can also open it with the Kindle reader on your Mac, PC or iPad.)

Just read the excerpt of Charles' Boyhood Memories:

"(...)While living at our Fischer Street home, we did not have a TV. Evening
entertainment was primarily comprised of playing cards with my parents, putting
jigsaw puzzles together or listening to the radio. The normal card game was
pinochle. It was a cutthroat game from the get-go. We would bid in German (I
have no idea as to why this was done). Jigsaw puzzles were done on the dining
room table and usually involved puzzles with 1,000 pieces or more. With a little
practice, one could get pretty good at this project. Radio was always exciting
because the mystery stories were always interesting and your imagination ran
wild trying to envision what was being portrayed over the airwaves."

Or this "yummy" one:

"(...)One of my favorite dishes for dinner was stuffed cabbage, or, as Poles call them
gołąbki (gaw-WOHMP-kee), which literally means "little pigeons." These stuffed
cabbage rolls were the epitome of comfort food. Pork and beef mixed with rice or
barley, nestled in a cabbage leaf and cooked in the oven. Chicken was another
favorite. You might buy a live chicken and have it meet its maker in your back
yard, clean it, stuff it into a large pot of boiling water, pluck the feathers and cook
it. Drumsticks are only two per chicken, so when the whole family was together,
this could be a problem since too many people wanted a drumstick."

Charles, I think I will not be alone who wants more and to know what happened after your "boyhood" Exclamation

'Boyhood Memories' is already 7th article authored or coauthored by Charles published on PolishOrigins. The others can be found through the Gen Stories page here: http://polishorigins.com/document/our_stories .

If you wish to share with our PolishOrigins visitors your memories or genealogy experience this website is waiting to publish your story. Just send it to us.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Our Gen Stories, Websites and Blogs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: