PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 37

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:44 am      Post subject: Occupation: ​laborer/worker in the 1800'S

What does laborer/worker mean as far as one's place in the social class in the 1800's? I guess it's not land owner.
Send e-mail
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2646

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:56 am      Post subject: Re: Occupation: ​laborer/worker in the 1800'S

skozewski wrote:
What does laborer/worker mean as far as one's place in the social class in the 1800's? I guess it's not land owner.

Most often it was a wage laborer, working for someone on a farm.

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 618

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:22 am      Post subject: Re: Occupation: ​laborer/worker in the 1800'S

skozewski wrote:

Hi,
Use of the word laborer is an indication that the person is not the owner of the business or farm where he/she works, but someone who is paid to work at a business or on a farm. If you want a really good description, you can follow this link to the instructions which were provided to census enumerators who had to indicate on the 1900 census what a person's occupation was:
https://www.census.gov/history/www/through_the_decades/census_instructions/1900instructions.html
Once you have downloaded the pdf file you can scroll down to page 31 where it begins explaining how to answer the questions about occupation/trade/profession. On page 33, you get a good description of the difference between a farmer and a farm laborer.
You did not mention whether you came across the term laborer on a ship manifest, in a vital record (birth, marriage, death) or elsewhere, so it is not possible to say for sure whether the person writing that word would have been working from the same defiinition, but I offer it as a good explanation of what the word means.
Good luck in your research,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: