PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:04 pm      Post subject: Early 1800's Military

I am trying to find the birth place for the following ancestor and have listed everything which I know about him.

His occupation from his marriage onwards has been given as a Kreisdragonner and my understanding is that each district office had six Kreisdragonners who were recruited from retired military men who were well educated.

In addition to the 9 children born in Jaslo I have found a further two sons who appear to have been born a few years before he married Katarzyna. As she was pregnant at the time of their marriage I’m guessing it’s possible these could have been her children or perhaps Jan had been married before and his first wife had died.

I would appreciate any answers/advice/information/suggestions/etc., to these questions:

1. What would be considered a retirement age for a dragoon?
2. Would he have been recruited from a dragoon regiment while he was serving in the Jaslo area?
3. If not, then would he have been recruited from elsewhere in Galicia - or even further afield?
4. Is it significant that the marriage took place in the town where Jan was employed rather than in the place where the bride’s family lived?
5. Does his surname provide any clue as to where his family originated from?

Anything which would help to narrow down a search area would be truly helpful.

Jillian

Known Facts.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  532.6 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Known Facts.jpg

katarzyna_t
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 82

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:26 am      Post subject: Re: Early 1800's Military

Jillian W wrote:
I am trying to find the birth place for the following ancestor and have listed everything which I know about him.

His occupation from his marriage onwards has been given as a Kreisdragonner and my understanding is that each district office had six Kreisdragonners who were recruited from retired military men who were well educated.

In addition to the 9 children born in Jaslo I have found a further two sons who appear to have been born a few years before he married Katarzyna. As she was pregnant at the time of their marriage I’m guessing it’s possible these could have been her children or perhaps Jan had been married before and his first wife had died.

I would appreciate any answers/advice/information/suggestions/etc., to these questions:

1. What would be considered a retirement age for a dragoon?
2. Would he have been recruited from a dragoon regiment while he was serving in the Jaslo area?
3. If not, then would he have been recruited from elsewhere in Galicia - or even further afield?
4. Is it significant that the marriage took place in the town where Jan was employed rather than in the place where the bride’s family lived?
5. Does his surname provide any clue as to where his family originated from?

Anything which would help to narrow down a search area would be truly helpful.

Jillian

Hello Jullian,

Indeed, I found on Geneteka information about marriage of Jan and Katarzyna: https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=S&w=09pk&rid=S&search_lastname=belitzay&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=
and about their children: https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=B&w=09pk&rid=B&search_lastname=belitzay&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=
(there are no parents' names listed but Belitzay is so rare surname that we could be sure that they are children of Jan and Katarzyna).

I checked the map of the Belitzay surname distribution - there is no one bearing this name in today Poland. However there are 13 people with Bellitzay surname: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Bellitzay

I think that the marriage record of Jan and Katarzyna could give you more information: this act should includes names of Jan and Katarzyna's parents and possibly their birthplaces.
You could try to contact Jasło parish: [email protected]

If you would be interested in PolishOrigins' assistance in genealogy research concerning your ancestors, do not hesitate to contact us.
You can find more details here: https://polishorigins.com/genealogy/
Request form: https://polishorigins.com/genealogy-request

Best regards,
Katarzyna

Jan & Katarzyna.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.89 KB

Jan & Katarzyna.JPG

Children.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.03 KB

Children.JPG

Jillian W

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:45 am      Post subject: Early 1800's Military

Thank you for your reply, you are correct, these are all part of this family. I have already been in contact with the priest in Jaslo which is how I have the marriage and baptism details.

As Jan was a Kreisdragonner who I understand would have been recruited from the Military I have tried to go further back to find his place of birth. I have looked at many films of military records on FamilySearch and so far I have found around 10-15 men with this surname but they all seem or originate from different areas. There are many men with similar spellings of this name from Hungary and Romania.

I was hoping that someone might have some ideas as to where I could look next as I have no idea where he was born.

Once again, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: