PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:03 pm      Post subject: Kosloff, doesn't seem polish, russian kozlov?

Can't find any relatives Kosloff except my grandfather and his brother. My Grandfather, Gregory John, said he was born in Chelm c 1892, he entered the states from France after being a soldier for the Czar. His brother Steve says he was born in Belgoray Russia in 1888, entered probably around 1914, died in 1948 in NY. I have a picture of a "wedding" of "steve's son Dimitri", looks early 1900's. Their Parents were "Gregory Kosloff" and "Maria Kikela" the only Gregory Kosloff I found was in 1920 in a German detention record died 1920. Gregory John said he did not have any relatives in Poland in 1922 immigration records. I don't have any records of Steve's kids to know if Dominic stayed in Poland.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:32 am      Post subject: Re: Kosloff, doesn't seem polish, russian kozlov?

julie2 wrote:
Can't find any relatives Kosloff except my grandfather and his brother. My Grandfather, Gregory John, said he was born in Chelm c 1892, he entered the states from France after being a soldier for the Czar. His brother Steve says he was born in Belgoray Russia in 1888, entered probably around 1914, died in 1948 in NY. I have a picture of a "wedding" of "steve's son Dimitri", looks early 1900's. Their Parents were "Gregory Kosloff" and "Maria Kikela" the only Gregory Kosloff I found was in 1920 in a German detention record died 1920. Gregory John said he did not have any relatives in Poland in 1922 immigration records. I don't have any records of Steve's kids to know if Dominic stayed in Poland.

Hi Julie2,
I think your "Belgoray" may well be Biłgoraj.
You will see on a map that Biłgoraj and Chelm are a good distance apart. However, you want to keep in mind that people who came from small villages usually referred to the name of a larger, more recognizable, city when they told people where they were from. So you may not find this family in either of those two cities.
You say the name doesn't seem Polish, to you. Is there a possibility that this family was Greek Catholic? For example, Geneteka shows a few births of Kikiela (which is very close to your Kikela) in a Greek parish in Biłgoraj:
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=03lb&rid=854&search_lastname=Kikiela&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=
You could make all of these names "seem more Polish" by writing them as Kozlowski or Kozlowicz, Grzegorz, Maria, Stefan (or Szczepan) and so forth, but I would hold off on doing that.
You have people who were born in an era when Poland was partitioned, and they lived in the Russian partition, so documents with their names on them will be written in Russian (and therefore, the cyrillic alphabet) so any time we go to write them in our alphabet, we are approximating the sound. I might write Kozlow, someone else might write Kosloff.
If you have any document that gives a village, that would help in your search. I do think you will be focusing on what is today's voivodeship (like a province) of Lubelskie. And you will need to know their religion, if you want to find birth records.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
julie2

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:49 am      Post subject: Russian orthodox

Gregory john kosloff was Russian orthodox his birthday was 1/26/1892 maria kikela
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: