PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:39 pm      Post subject: In Search of Familys - Kuzniar, Golis, etc

My Catholic grandmother, Honorata, was born to Marcin Kuzniar and Anna Kuzniar (don't know maiden name) in Kosina., approximately 8/15/1896. She had another sister named Agata (I believe older sister). Something happened to Marcin, because Anna remarried to a last name Golis. (Don't know husband's name.) My grandmother, Honorata, ended up with half brothers and sisters, under her mother's second marriage.
As of the early 1970s and 1980s, my grandmother, along with my parents, visited her family in Poland. This was a list of the family members that they met with, along with the area that they lived:
Aagata (Kuzniar) Ciecka - Poznanskie
children - Stanislaw Ciecka _ Zielena Gora, Wladislaw Ciecka - Zielena Gorra, Jozef Ciecka - Poznaj, Maria (Ciecka) Adamowicz - Poznan
Zofia (Glois) Balawender - Kochanowskiego / Katawice
children - Tadeusz Balawender - Gluczyce, Eugenia (Balawender) Cioch - Katowice
Maria (Golis) Dassuj - Bydgowska
Antonin Golis - Zabkowice
Wladislaw Golis - Bydgowska
Wanda (Golis) Golek - Walbrzych
Stanislaw Golis - Zabowice
Kazimierz Golis - Pilskie
Roman Golis - Zabkowice
Ryszek Golis - Zabkowice

I have no idea if any of these relatives are still alive or not. I am reaching out to find these families and any of their off springs.
I am also searching to find out the maiden name of Honorata's mother, Anna. So far, I haven't had any luck.
Surnames that come up are Kochmanski, Szajner, Pelc, which were cousins to Honorata.

Any input that anyone can provide would be truly appreciated.

Thank you
Dannyk

Forgot to mention in my original post, that my grandmother Honorata immigrated to the United States on May 24, 1912.
She immigrated under the name Honorata Golis. The Immigration papers state that she came from Majdan, and it was listed that her father was Jedrzej Golis. (I am positive that Jedrzej is possibly her step father.) Honorata married Stanislaw Blok on January 8, 1915 in Detroit Michigan. (Her wedding certificate shows Marcin and Anna Kuzniar as her parents). They had 3 children: Mary (Blok) Krol, Anne (Blok) Prus, and Chester Blok.

** Also would like to know anything about Marcin Kuzniar.

Thank again

Dannk
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:24 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dannyk,

How certain are you that the name of Honorata's father is Marcin? Reason I ask, is I think I may have found the index record for the birth of your grandmother, Honorata. Many other items match up (see attached screen shot of the index), but the father's name is Aleksander - not Martin. Birth year is 1896, place of birth is Kosina. More specific birth date is shown when you hover cursor over the "I" at the end of the line. It says the birthdate is Jul 22, 1896. Mother is Anna Kochmańska which is one of the surnames you list as cousins in your original post.

The second attached screen shot is the index for the 1895 marriage record of Aleksander Kużniar and Anna Kochmańska. The exact marriage date is June 4, 1895.

I will look around to see if I can find the parish records for these indices.

Also, here is the link to the Geneteka Index page for these entries:

https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=09pk&rid=8812&search_lastname=Ku%C5%BAniar&search_name=Aleksander&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

You will notice 3 tabs above the entries. First one is births, second is marriage, last is death. Select second tab to see the marriage entry I did a screen shot for.

Best,
Cynthia

1895 Kuzniar marriage record index.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  204.39 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1895 Kuzniar marriage record index.jpg

1896 Honorata Kuzniar birth index.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.94 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1896 Honorata Kuzniar birth index.jpg

Send e-mail
Dannyk

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:25 pm      Post subject: In Search of Familys - Kuzniar, Golis, etc

Cynthia
Again I do have to express my sincere thanks for this information that you sent me.
Since all of the elders have passed away, the only thing that I can go on is the marriage certificate where Honorata lists Marcin as her dad. My mother (Honorata's daughter) (who passed away in 2016 at 100 yrs of age) also told me that her grandfather's name was Marcin. My mother would never have met him personally.
So maybe Marcin was his middle name, or simply the name that they called him. But your findings on Aleksander looks very promising, since Honorata always refered to the Kochmanski-s as her cousins.

Again, Thank You

Dan
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:46 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dannyk,

A suggestion: if all you have is the civil record of marriage from Detroit, MI, you might want to inquire at the Catholic Parish church where they were married. The Civil record gives the name of the priest who married them. With his name, you can track the name of the parish. You can then ask for a copy of the marriage record from the parish. Often, our ancestors were married in Polish Catholic churches with Polish priests presiding. I have found the parish records to be more accurate and inclusive of information. Just a thought if you haven't tried this yet.

It could also be that she never really met her father or knew him since you mention he died early in the marriage. Could it be that she didn't remember his name? Sure would be good to have another document that listed her father's name....

Best,
Cynthia

PS, All the cousin's surnames you listed in your original post that "show up" with the Kuzniar name also show up in the Geneteka database for parish records in Kosina... I haven't found any online Parish records for Kosina yet. Perhaps another member of our community can help you with finding the parish books.
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:00 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi Dannyk,

A suggestion: if all you have is the civil record of marriage from Detroit, MI, you might want to inquire at the Catholic Parish church where they were married. The Civil record gives the name of the priest who married them. With his name, you can track the name of the parish. You can then ask for a copy of the marriage record from the parish. Often, our ancestors were married in Polish Catholic churches with Polish priests presiding. I have found the parish records to be more accurate and inclusive of information. Just a thought if you haven't tried this yet.

It could also be that she never really met her father or knew him since you mention he died early in the marriage. Could it be that she didn't remember his name? Sure would be good to have another document that listed her father's name....

Best,
Cynthia

PS, All the cousin's surnames you listed in your original post that "show up" with the Kuzniar name also show up in the Geneteka database for parish records in Kosina... I haven't found any online Parish records for Kosina yet. Perhaps another member of our community can help you with finding the parish books.

Hi Dan & Cynthia,

All the available evidence indicates that the pertinent records are not available online. The indexes Cynthia provided were all composed from the registers housed in the archives of the parish of Kosina. Another Geneteka site confirms that the records are housed in the parish: https://parafie.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=pr&pid=3586
The Polish National Archives in Rzeszów holds some records from the R.C. parish of Kosina but not for the years you need and anyway none of those records are available online. Here is a link to the Polish National Archives Site: https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/wyszukiwarka
It appears that the viable option would be to contact the parish. Link to parish contact information: http://kosina.przemyska.pl/kontakt/

Wishing you successful research,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: