PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm      Post subject: name ending ??

Ran across this spelling for Samelko --Samelczanka--- If I understand, Samelkowna refers to daughter of; I was wondering what this ending means?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:55 pm      Post subject: Re: name ending ??

adamsam wrote:
Ran across this spelling for Samelko --Samelczanka--- If I understand, Samelkowna refers to daughter of; I was wondering what this ending means?

Hi,

It also means "daughter of". The -anka suffix is an old form usually found in records from the late 18th & early 19th centuries. The suffix morphs into -czanka in this surname for euphonic reasons. In other words, without the letters "cz" softening the sound of the surname the result would be unpleasing to the Polish ear. The -anka suffix has passed out of favor in contemporary usage.

Dave
adamsam

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:09 am      Post subject: Re: name ending ??

dnowicki wrote:
adamsam wrote:

Hi,

It also means "daughter of". The -anka suffix is an old form usually found in records from the late 18th & early 19th centuries. The suffix morphs into -czanka in this surname for euphonic reasons. In other words, without the letters "cz" softening the sound of the surname the result would be unpleasing to the Polish ear. The -anka suffix has passed out of favor in contemporary usage.

Dave
Thank you for the explanation, appreciate your quick response and thorough explanation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: