PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:21 pm      Post subject: message

message[/quote]

Last edited by MikeBayko on Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Henry Soszynski

Replies: 96

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:49 am      Post subject: Re: Inbreeding

MikeBayko wrote:
I am not sure where to post this (a better place may be the ancestors' daily lives subforum but I am unsure) sorry in advance if this is not the correct place to post something like this, I am also unsure if anyone will be of any help regarding this issue but I have to try to find answers.

The paternal line of my family goes back to Greek Catholic inhabitants of Jabłonica Polska and neighboring Malinówka. They were extremely inbred, to the point where that line of my family has neurological diseases, extreme nervousness, etc. On all of their pedigrees families repeat very aggressively, you see the same surnames very frequently in the pedigrees and it was not uncommon for two people of the same family to marry. For instance my 3rd great grandparents Janko Bayko and Maria Bayko (Bayko was her maiden name) were 3rd cousins, but were also cousins through the other greek catholic families of the village.

Marrying with outsiders, whether Greek or Roman catholic from other villages was rare, and marrying with the roman catholic inhabitants of Jablonica Polska and Malinówka seems non existent. For the most part they only seemed to marry with the other Greek Catholic families form Jabłonica Polska and Malinówka which is a pretty small list of families, the Bayko, Kmetko, Szulyk, Stepanyk, Zyłka, Reszka, Hrynik, Woytowicz, Baydowicz, Szurgot, Dereń, Kuzemczyk, Senczyk-Nehyr, Harasym, Lewicki, Skalski, Raczyński, and Naydecki families. I can not stress enough the extent that these families were interbred with one another it was very excessive, if you descend from any of these families, then you also have genes from all or most of the other families in the list with very little to no genes from "outsider" families so to speak. None of my other family lines whether noble, or peasant from Poland, Hungary, and Croatia were anywhere near being this inbred, except for my one great great grandmother's line in Gerlachov Slovakia (the Bereszky/Zbereszki/Zbereska/Bereski family) which may be the most inbred part of my family tree with most of the members on that pedigree all having the same weird Zbereszki/Bereski surname (which i don't even know if it is the correct surname as there are so many confusing variants it seems and no information on any of them), but that is a topic perhaps for me to discuss about in another thread someday.

To conclude, was this degree of inbreeding common throughout Poland? If so, is there any particular or general reason why such aggressive inbreeding was so common? If not and this is just a strange isolated instance, is there any possible reason why this part of my family would have been so inbred?

Hi Mike, just my two cents worth. But in my family in the Solec nad Wisla area, I don't see any inbreeding, even though I look for such instances. I was quite happy to finally see a 4th cousin marriage. There may be more but so far are rare. However I see many, many cases where a bride and groom have the same surname and marriages do occur in a smallish pool of available partners. One point that you have failed to take into account is that when surnames were assumed whenever it was many different unrelated families took the same surname. For example in my area, the following surnames are common, viz. Lasota, Skrzek, Mróz and Gozdur, and intermarriages occur profusely. When you look at the meaning of the names you can see that they are common terms, Lasota=dweller in or by a forest, Skrzek=croak or squawk, Mróz=frost. So it's a possibily that though your relatives have the same surname not all are agnatically related. Also some of your surnames may be derived from place names, which again would lead to a lot of people with the same surname but not related at all.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: