PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 50

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:50 pm      Post subject: Grenda and Stelmaszyk near Poznań

Hello, I am working on tracing the maternal side of my family. My maternal grandparents were Andrew Grenda and Celia Zakrzewski. This information I present here will focus on the Grenda line, but please feel free to share any tips on following the Zakrzewski side. I’ve also made the assumption that Grenda is equivalent to Gręda and are used interchangeably (please correct me if mistaken Embarassed ).

According to family history, Andrew Grenda’s parents were Frank Grenda and Maryanna Stelmaczyk. Andrew’s siblings included a twin, John, older brothers Lawrence and Frank Jr, and younger siblings Peter and Rose (born in US). I could not corroborate the family version of their ship name and arrival port, but instead found the Stubbenhuk departing Hamburg on 25 Feb 1893 with Marie, Wawrzyn, Franz, Andre, Jan, and Peter aboard. (Franz Grenda of Krzyzkowo, Posen departed Hamburg on 23 Apr 1892 alone). The names and ages listed on the manifest agree with both the 1905 New York State Census and Franciszek Grenda’s 1908 naturalization record (see attached).

The naturalization document lists Czerac, Germany as Frank’s birthplace, the Stubbenhuk’s manifest states the family’s residence as Czerae Koseielay, Posen, and Poznan Project shows a marriage in 1880 in Ceradz Kościelny between Franciscus Gręda and Marie Stelmaszyk. Using http://basia.famula.pl/en/ and searching in the Ceradz Kościelny area, I found birth records with consistent dates for all known Grenda children (and a few others who passed in 1890, perhaps due to the pandemic). I feel quite confident that this is the correct pair of Frank Grenda and Maryanna Stelmaczyk.

I also feel pretty confident that Frank’s parents were Johann Gręda (1819-1887) and Franziska Kaczmarek (1821-1875), and Marianna’s parents were Johann Stelmaczyk (c1830-?) and Josephine Bazarnik (c1836-?). This is mostly based on their physical location and appropriate dates for marriage and children.

Going back one more generation is when I start to feel pretty uncertain and where I am looking to either confirm or rule out possibilities. I’d love to hear your thoughts on if I am making too large of assumptions or leaps.

There is an 1864 death record of Marianna Stelmaszyk (widow, died of old age at 67) from Ceradz Kościelny that lists parents as Szenklewski and shows Johannes Stelmaszyk as the one who reported. I do not know if this Marianna is related, but names and dates line up. Using that information, there is a Joannes Nepomucenus Stelmaszyk born in 1833 to Adalbertus Stelmaszyk and Marianna Szynkleska in Ceradz Kościelny. Adalbertus Stelmaszyk and Marianna Szynkleska have nine children between 1818 and 1840 in either Ceradz Kościelny or Lusowo.

I have some possibilities for Josephine Bazarnik’s parents, Antonius (1810-?) and Helena Flaczonka (1810-?), and Franziska Kaczmarek’s parents, Matheus and Jadwiga. But before investing too much time into those leads, I’d like to know if the assumptions I am making are appropriate.

I’ve attached a few documents below, please let me know if you would like to see any of the links or other documents.
If there is interest, I can share any information I have on the Grenda’s in Buffalo, New York in the 1900’s.

Thank you!

Grenda_Frank_1905.jpg
 Description:
Grenda family at the top of the second page on the 1905 New York Census
 Filesize:  1.64 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Grenda_Frank_1905.jpg

Grenda_Stubbenhuk_1893a.JPG
 Description:
Grenda Familly on Stubbenhuk
 Filesize:  60.35 KB

Grenda_Stubbenhuk_1893a.JPG

Grenda_Frank_1908b.JPG
 Description:
Frank Grenda naturalization (back).
 Filesize:  41.57 KB

Grenda_Frank_1908b.JPG

Grenda_Frank_1908.JPG
 Description:
Frank Grenda naturalization (front).
 Filesize:  42.26 KB

Grenda_Frank_1908.JPG

j_lex

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:05 pm      Post subject:

Just wanted to add the 1880 marriage register of Franciscus Gręda and Marie Stelmaszyk. The document is in German, but you can make out the names of their parents.

Greda_Stelmaszyk_1880m.jpg
 Description:
marriage register
 Filesize:  736.86 KB

Greda_Stelmaszyk_1880m.jpg

mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:05 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

You don’t mention in your post that you had the records from Poland translated. If you haven’t, I suggest you do that to make sure you are following the right trail. If it were me, I would start by posting the 1880 marriage record for Franciszek to the German records translation forum on this website. BTW, Do you know the marriage record may have two pages? Only one was posted in this thread, but there may be another page. Also, Just scanning the German marriage record, I see what looks like the name of a village - Gross Gaj - in the lines describing his father Johann. Getting it translated may provide you with additional clues as to if you are on the right track. Johann may have come from another village, in which case you may need to shift your search.

I have found that the best way to go Further back To earlier generations is to focus on finding the marriage records first and whenever possible. In your case, look for Johann Grenda and Franciszka Kaczmarek’s marriage record. But before you do, I suggest you get the 1880 marriage record you have translated.

Best of luck in your search,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
j_lex

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:12 pm      Post subject:

Cynthia,

Thank you for taking a look and your input! You were correct that there is a second page to the 1880 marriage record. I've been trying to do my own translations (realistically: minimal symbol recognition) of names and dates, but as you recommend, it makes more sense to know I am on the right track.

There is a Johann Grenda and Franciszka Kaczmarek marriage listed on the Poznan Project, but I have not found a digital copy of that record. It appears that it is located in the Archdiocesean Archive for Poznań.

Thank you again!

-J

Greda_Joannes_1843.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.63 KB

Greda_Joannes_1843.JPG

Greda_Stelmaszyk_1880m2.jpg
 Description:
1880 marriage, page 2
 Filesize:  706.12 KB

Greda_Stelmaszyk_1880m2.jpg

mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:53 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

You can most likely request that record from the Poznan Archives. Their website is available in English, and instructions to contact them are located on the website.
https://aap.poznan.pl/en/

Also, Family Search has the records available, but only through a research center near you.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/250323?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Either case, with COVID restrictions, getting a reply will likely take time.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
j_lex

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:04 pm      Post subject:

Cynthia, thanks for following up. I will probably elect to work through the Poznan Archive Request and certainly understand delays will likely occur.

I appreciate you sharing your insights.

-J
j_lex

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:07 am      Post subject:

Many thanks to Michael for the quick translation.

B.
No. 24
Jankowice on October 13, 1880.

Before the undersigned registrar appeared today for the purpose of marriage:

1. The worker [Arbeiter] Franz Greda, unmarried, of know identity, of Catholic religion, born on August 21, 1854 in Otusz [Otusch], county [Kreis] Buk, residing in Jankowice, Kreis Posen, son of the worker Johann Greda, residing in Groß-Gay, Kreis Samter and his deceased wife Franzisca, born Kaczmarek

2. The maid [Dienstmagd] Marianna Stelmaszyk, unmarried, of known identity, of Catholic religion, born on March 16, 1857 in Ceradz Koscielny, Kreis Posen, residing in Ceradz Koscielny, Kreis Posen, daughter of the worker Johann Stelmaszyk und his wife Josepha, born Kazarwik, both residing in Ceradz Koscielny, Kreis Posen

and as witnesses:

3. The worker Johann Stelmaszyk, of known identity, 48 years old, residing in Ceradz Koscielny, Kreis Posen

4. The owner [Eigentümer] Valentin Konys, of known identity, 37 years old, residing in Ceradz Koscielny, Kreis Posen

The registrar put to each of the betrothed in turn the question: whether they were willing to enter into marriage with one another. The betrothed answered this question in the affirmative, whereupon the registrar pronounced that by virtue of the Civil Code they were henceforth legally joined in marriage.

Read aloud, approved, and signed
Franz Greda
Maryjana Grända, born Stelmaszyk
Jnn [Johann] Stelmaszyk
Valenty Konys
The registrar.
As deputy
[Signature]
j_lex

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:48 pm      Post subject:

I was able to track down the 1843 marriage of Johann (age 24) and Francisca (age 1Cool in Otusz. Unfortunately the record does not list either set of parents.

There are a few other records on BaSIA that list Greda's and specifically a Johann Greda, but I think there are too many disparities for me to feel comfortable making a direct connection. Perhaps I am missing something, I would appreciate input. I understand this may be the end of the line for free and available resources.

According to the 1843 marriage record, the Johann listed would have been born around 1819.
The 1887 death record in Ceradz Kościelny Parish lists a Johann Greda age 68, which is also around 1819.

In 1875, in Młodasko, Franciska Grenda (Kaczmarek) of Gaj dies, Johann reported. Thankfully her parents are listed in this document.
Then in 1876, Johann Greda of Gaj, son of Thomas and Franziska Greda, marries Michaelina Biedna, of Witkowice. But this Johann birth is listed as June 1810.

It is certainly possible that the birth year on the recent marriage is incorrect.

Thomas and Franziska Greda are listed in marriage records as the parents of Valentinus Grenda (Lusowo 1852, age 31 years), Stanislaus Grenda (Lusowo 1845, age 20 years). Stanislaus is listed on the 1862 death of Thomas, age 80.

There is also an 1883 death record of Marianna Kowalak (Greda), parents Thomas and Franziska Greda (Ciuła).

And another death record for a Thomas Greda (age 65) in 1879. With a birth year around 1814, perhaps this Thomas is a sibling as well.

Geographically, I feel like these are all too close to automatically anything rule out. It is plausible that Johann born in 1819 would fit into this potential family, but how likely is it?

Hopefully this wasn't too confusing to follow. Thanks!
-J

1876_Grenda_Johann_Biedna_Marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB

1876_Grenda_Johann_Biedna_Marriage.jpg

Grenda_Franciska_1875d.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.63 MB

Grenda_Franciska_1875d.jpg

1887_Grenda_Joannes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.49 MB

1887_Grenda_Joannes.jpg

1843_Greda_Kaczmarek.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  382.1 KB

1843_Greda_Kaczmarek.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: