PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:48 am      Post subject: Warsaw in WW1 and WW2

Where would you suggest are the best / most informative places where I can read online or in book form about the circumstances / difficulties in which my Graybner family would have found itself in Warsaw, both in WW1 and in WW2?

I know that Tadeusz (my first cousin twice removed) died in 1945; he is buried in a military cemetery in Bologna, Italy:
http://www.polskicmentarzbolonia.pl/pl/lista-pochowanych-bolonia/cart/1373/tadeusz-graybner.html
His father, Stanislaw, was an engineer.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:26 pm      Post subject:

I too would be interested in reading such books. I suspect there are books preserving local histories for many Polish cities and towns over those eras, as well as deeper into the past. My cousin in Poland recently found one such book in a local library. Wouldn't it be great if those local history books could be microfilmed or digitized in some form? Maybe they already have and someone else here might know.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:17 pm      Post subject:

Hello Joy,

There is much information available on the internet about Poland in WWI and WWII, and specifically Warsaw. You just have to do a Google search. For example, here is a very good video on YouTube about the Warsaw Uprising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB_E-gjnZ7A

You can search for other information about the Warsaw Ghetto in WWII or any other specific keywords that are relevant to you, i.e., "life in Poland in WWII" or " life in Warsaw in WWII", etc. Once you select your keywords, you can then select "all information" or just "images" or "videos" from the Google filter. For example, you will see the ruins of Warsaw after the uprising - a retaliation of Hitler who commanded his troops to kill them all - destroy all of Warsaw as an example to anyone contemplating rebellion.

We did a tour with Polish Origins in 2018 and spent some time in Warsaw. One of the best museums we experienced was the Warsaw Uprising Museum (the other was the Jewish Museum in Warsaw). The Uprising Museum was absolutely amazing, heart-rending, and truthful - not only from a military standpoint but from an everyday life standpoint. The museum is real testament to the Polish heart and spirit to keep fighting for freedom - and to the tremendous loss the Polish people suffered. The video link above gives you a small taste of a similar experience of being in the museum...

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Joy Dean

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:19 am      Post subject:

Thank you very much, Cynthia. That is very helpful and interesting.

I think I should like to find a book, too; I still like turning over pages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: