PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Dr Eugenia Lewicki
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:35 pm      Post subject:

Hi HCW,

Some questions for you:

Do you know about when Michal immigrated to Australia?

Do you know if Michal served in the military in WWII? If so, do you know if he was in the Polish unit or Australian?

Do you know if Michal was naturalized as a citizen of Australia? If so, any estimate of when?

Thanks,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
HCW

Replies: 25

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:57 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi HCW,

Oops, you are correct - the tree is Burns - not Burke. That’s what I get for trusting my memory when composing the reply

Best,
Cynthia Smile

Hi Cynthia, yes that reference of Burns is my wife working out her family tree.

My wife has had to stop digging as she's up to about 1500 people as for my side we can only find 10......pretty depressing really.

Regards,

HCW.
HCW

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:23 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi HCW,

Some questions for you:

Do you know about when Michal immigrated to Australia?

Do you know if Michal served in the military in WWII? If so, do you know if he was in the Polish unit or Australian?

Do you know if Michal was naturalized as a citizen of Australia? If so, any estimate of when?

Thanks,
Cynthia

Michal was in the Polish army before he fled to Australia.

We've worked out the Michal's father Cyryl was shot and killed between 1914 and 1928.

Michal's birth place also listed as Ccerkasy, Kiev Ukraine.

Michal arrived in Australia (WA) in 1928, however he was naturalized on the 13/07/1937 in Sydney.

Michal married Rita in 1933.(d.1944)

Michal married Lesda in 1945.

Michal was a photographer in his Australian life, listed as a Business manager however he went on to own Liecagraph photo service, was first to import and introduce Lieca cameras into Australia and then owned Identity Studios with his then wife Lesda in Sydney.

Michal had the contract to photograph all WW2 Australian Soldiers (identification).

Does that help?
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:30 pm      Post subject:

Hello HCW,

Thank you for the information- every clue helps. Several more questions:

What was Cyryl’s occupation? Any idea?

Do you know where Cyryl was murdered?

What was the family’s faith tradition?

Do you have Michal’s naturalization papers?

I found a US alien detention document for a Michal Lewicki in 1923. It indicates he was deported because he was a stowaway. Any family stories that would validate this incident? Nationality is Russian. This is likely not him, but I thought I would ask.

Also, I notice his surname is often written as “Rogala Lewicki”. Are you aware that Rogala is the noble coat of arms for the Lewicki family? It requires more research to be certain, but it seems the Lewicki family may have been part of the Polish nobility.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
HCW

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:11 am      Post subject:

Hi Cynthia,

We believe Cyryl owned, ran, managed a Crayfish farm, that's why we are trying to find out specifically where in Cherkasy the Lewicki's lived.

As form religion I can only assume it Orthodox as there is a Cathedral in Cherkasy.

You never know with respect to Michal stowing away somewhere however he brought out a number of Leica Camera's as well as a writers upright desk.

As far as my family is aware our title is Rogala Lewicki and we have our own family crest and wax seal.

I was told when I was very young that Lewicki means son of the lions pore or strong left hand.

Our surname stems back to the 1700's and I believe we have one of the oldest surnames in Europe.

Rogala Lewicki's were known as Count & Countess pre revolutions, however Regal or nobility was a dirty word during the regional wars.

Cheers,

HCW.
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:09 am      Post subject:

Hi HCW,

Thank you again for the information. Cyryl’s occupation- crayfish farmer, then narrows the location because the Cherkasy we are looking for should be near a body of water.

I will also look around for Cherkasy parish records and see if any are online.

Thanks again for the information. It is like putting a puzzle together- every piece counts.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:02 pm      Post subject:

Hi HCW,

A couple of things:

First, you mentioned in an earlier post that Michal's documents show his place of birth as Cherkasy, Kiev. I did some research on the history of the area, and found that Cherkasy (district and city) used to be part of the Kiev oblast. It was not until after 1925 that it became the Cherkasy Oblast. So that lines up with the documents you have for Michal. At the time of his birth (1900), Cherkasy was still part of the Kiev oblast. Here is a link to some history of that area:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiev_Governorate#Administrative_division

We still don't know if the Lewicki family originated in the city of Cherkasy or a village within the district of Cherkasy. One possible place to start is to research the online records for Cherkasy, Kiev at Family Search. They have church records for the district of Cherkasy (which may include villages surrounding Cherkasy), civil records, and census records available. BUT, all documents are written in Russian, and they are not easily organized with indices. Also, the church records only seem to cover years 1874 and earlier, so Cyryl, Michal, et al., would not be in those records, but they may be in some of the other census records. Also, if you have someone who reads Russian look through the online church books for 1874 and a bit earlier, you may be able to see if the surname Lewicki is recorded at all in the books. If so, then that is good indication that the family was from the district and you are on the right track. Also, any Lewicki reference in the parish books may provide the place of residence as part of the birth, marriage, death record. That would also give you a clue as to where Cyryl et. al., lived as well.

Here is the link to the Family Search records:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=888074&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Russia%2C%20Kiev%2C%20Cherkassy%22

Finally, you may be at the point of needing to hire a researcher who can understand Russian and is able to search for the records on your behalf. Polish Origins has people able to do that for you, if you want. Just contact them via email.

That is all for now,
Wishing you the very best in your research,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
HCW

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:02 am      Post subject:

Thank you so much Cynthia for all of your help, you've been awesome.

Thank you also to tedmac and Sofia.

Regards,

HCW
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:13 pm      Post subject:

Hi HCW,

One final bit of information- here is the contact information for the Central State Archives in Kyiv Ukraine. They include an email address, so you might want to try making a request that way - sometimes it works.
They most likely have the birth, marriage, and death information you need for 1876 - 1930. I don’t know what their privacy laws are, or if you must prove relationship in order to get the records.

I suggest you begin by requesting the birth record for Michal via email. It is worth a try. If that is successful, you can then request the others. If not, then hiring a researcher would be the way to go.

Central State Historical Archives of Ukraine
03110, Ukraine, Kyiv city, Solom'ianska St., 24

Phone
(044) 275 27 77
Fax
(044) 275 36 55
Hotline
(044) 275 27 77
[email protected]

Glad I can help in some way. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
HCW

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:37 am      Post subject:

We've discovered that Elizbeta and Cyryl, Dr Eugenia's parents moved to Warsaw pre WWII.

Eugenia had a very close personal relationship with Grand Marshall Jozef Pilsudski until 1931 when she was poisoned / murdered.

I can only assume that Marshall Pilsudski would have met Cyryl & Elizbeta at some stage during Dr Eugenia's relationship if not in Cherkasy then at some time in Warsaw.

We have found a death certificate for Elizbeta in 1948 in of all places Australia, which we were unaware of until recently.

We knew Elzibeta came to Australia and stayed with her son, my Grand father for seven months and died from complications during surgery.

We can then only assume that Cyryl Longin Rogala Lewicki died between 1930 something and 1945.

Any assistance in finding any further information about Cyryl would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. HCW.
HCW

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:17 am      Post subject: Dr Eugenia Lewicka update

Hi folks, great news we have received a box of bits and pieces from my great Uncles Estate.

I'll start with Cyril & Elzbieta Lewicki.

IMG_20210523_185020.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.82 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

IMG_20210523_185020.jpg

HCW

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:32 am      Post subject:

Dr Eugenia Lewicka's parents

IMG_20210523_222032.jpg
 Description:
Elzbeita Lewicki
 Filesize:  1.22 MB

IMG_20210523_222032.jpg

HCW

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:35 am      Post subject: Dr Eugenia Lewicka

Dr Eugenia Lewicka

IMG_20210523_184056.jpg
 Description:
Dr Eugenia Lewicka
 Filesize:  1.8 MB

IMG_20210523_184056.jpg

HCW

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:37 am      Post subject: Dr Eugenia Lewicka

Dr Eugenia Lewicka

IMG_20210523_222457.jpg
 Description:
Dr Eugenia Lewicka
 Filesize:  994.27 KB

IMG_20210523_222457.jpg

HCW

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:39 am      Post subject: Dr Eugenia Lewicka update

Dr Eugenia Lewicka with Marshal Pilsudski

IMG_20210523_222431.jpg
 Description:
Pilsudski and Lewicka
 Filesize:  1.2 MB

IMG_20210523_222431.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Page 2 of 3

Jump to: