PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 87

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:24 pm      Post subject: Jewish birth records

Hi,

I have just found out that one of my ancestor was a jewish woman converted to catholic faith. She was converted in 1778, but in the baptism record it is not mentioned her parents name or her previous name.

I guess not, but, is there any record that can contain this information? Somekind of annex to the baptism record. If not, where are stored the birth records of a jewish community in that period of time. I found a records after 1810, but not before that year.

Thanks
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:18 am      Post subject: Re: Jewish birth records

who wrote:
Hi,

I have just found out that one of my ancestor was a jewish woman converted to catholic faith. She was converted in 1778, but in the baptism record it is not mentioned her parents name or her previous name.

I guess not, but, is there any record that can contain this information? Somekind of annex to the baptism record. If not, where are stored the birth records of a jewish community in that period of time. I found a records after 1810, but not before that year.

Thanks

Hi,
It would help to know the place where she lived, in order to answer your question of whether records are available.
I was just recently helping a gentleman on another thread on this forum, and he was looking for records in Warsaw in the 1760s. As I was paging through the images of the church books, I saw several records similar to what you described above - - baptisms for people who converted from Judaism, but because they were adults, the information about their birth and their parents was absent.
Best regards,
Sophia
who

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:42 am      Post subject:

Thanks Sophia! She lived in a small village called Popow in the parafia of Liw, close to Węgrów Mazovian Voivodeship.
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:18 pm      Post subject:

Hi,

I guess that you’ve already checked the vital records of Jewish synagogue circuit of Węgrowo from 1826 – 1936 as well as catholic vital books of the parish of Liw 1810 – 1917.

In regard to Jewish vital books you won’t find elder then those mentioned.

There might be older catholic vital books in the diocesan archive in Poznan (the parish of Liw belonged to the diocese of Poznan in turn of the 18/19 c.) or in the diocesan archive of Drohiczyn (it belongs to this diocese nowadays). You may also check the files (non-vital sources – the consistory books) of the parish of Liw from the 2nd half of the 18th c. presumably kept in one of these archives. However, I think that the chances that you would find there any note about conversion of your ancestor and information about her parents or so or some registers of converts of the parish of Liw covering the date 1778 are very low.

Instead of that, I have got scans of two manuscripts of the village of Popowo, one is from 1777 another from 1789. They provide many information about the village, descriptions of buildings situated in the village, claims of the peasants towards the landlord and conflict between them etc., register of peasants (the householders), they are listed by name and surname, register of their property, feudal obligations, rents, tributes, serfdom etc., number of their children in the manuscript from 1789 and number as well as names of children (their age) and name of wife (no surname of the wife) as well as other people living in the house such as brothers, sisters or parents in the manuscript from 1777.

Similar information might contain the other document from 1794 concerning Popowo but unfortunately I don’t have scans of this document. These manuscript can be checked only on the spot in the archive.

I attach the fragments of manuscripts which contain the above mentioned registers.

Some precious documents as e.g. testaments may be found in the collection of the notary of the county of Wegrów:
‘Żaboklicki Piotr pisarz aktowy powiatu węgrowskiego [urzędujący w Liwie]’, period: 1810 – 1842 [1843 – 1848]
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/62/135/0/?q=liw+XDSTOPz:[*+TO+1850]&wynik=40&rpp=15&page=3#tabJednostki

Here you can find more details about our services: https://polishorigins.com/genealogy/

Best regards
Piotr

Register of subjects of Popowo, 1777.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  885.83 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Register of subjects of Popowo, 1777.png

Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:19 pm      Post subject:

The register from 1789

Register of subjects of Popowo, 1789.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.05 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Register of subjects of Popowo, 1789.png

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:48 am      Post subject:

who wrote:
Thanks Sophia! She lived in a small village called Popow in the parafia of Liw, close to Węgrów Mazovian Voivodeship.

Hi again,
I looked for records, but did not find them in the timeframe in which you are interested.
For the vital records that began about 1810, we have to thank Napoleon. The rule that records of Jewish births, marriages and deaths had to be recorded in the civil registry (which was generally the church, as it so happened) did not happen until about 1830.
The town of Węgrów had quite a strong Jewish community in the time you are looking at. Best bet is that is where she came from. The information that Piotr Zelny found is really amazing! I do hope that you follow up with him. I wish you the best of luck in your search.
Sophia
who

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:56 am      Post subject:

Really thank you Sophia and Piotr! I truly appreciated! I am going to review all this information and check your services, Piotr!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: