PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:37 am      Post subject: Nutar (Nutár)

Hi all!

I was born in eastern Slovakia near borders and likely have ancestry in Poland and Ukraine. My paternal surname is "Nutár" and so far I haven't been able to find out it's meaning. One researcher told me it might have something to do with polish "Nuta", meaning someone who sings/plays music. Does this sound right, or is there some other meaning this surname can have?

Thank you in advance!
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:02 am      Post subject:

Hi!
At first glance, i connected it with Iranian names. From this:
Code:
NAUDAR m Ancient Persian
Ancient Persian form of the Avestan name Naotara or Nautara, which most likely means "younger, newer" and is derived from Avestan nauua or nava meaning "new, fresh". It is also possible that the name is ultimately derived from Proto-Indo-Iranian nutára "quick", thus giving the name the overall meaning of "the quick one".

There might been a chance the name could migrate from Ottoman Empire to Hungary and then stayed in Slovakia. But Ottoman was Turkish, oh..

But You said about Polish Ancestry. The is a word Notar in a Upper Silesian dialect. It means just Notary. A person - Notarius(z). This is also found in Cieszyn dialect. But there are small to none Nutar in Chechia. If that theory would be true, then all Nutárs would come from one ancestor I think.

In addiction. Polish word nuta come from latin word nota. Then it was written in old polish as nóta. And finally nuta.

It is hard to guess eventually. I dont speak Slovakian, maybe that name has also some local meaning? Just hope You are a bit further in knowlegde Smile
nuti

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:44 am      Post subject:

Hi Sirdan!

Thank you for your thought out response! I think the ottoman -> Hungary -> Slovakia theory might be possible. I got some hungarian ancestry results on a DNA testing (although only on one). On the other one, I got 1.1 percent of West asian ancestry, which corresponds to Turkey and Iran. What baffles me is how would the Iranian (Persian) surname survive till these days in Slovakia. When did people there started using surnames? It would have to be more recent ancestry I guess, but I found a Nutar family in Slovakia from as far as 16th century. Nevertheless, according to https://forebears.io/surnames/nutar there are some Nutars found in Iran.

As for Slovak meaning, I did not get anywhere. Notár is a word with the same meaning here, but I was told by a researcher that there is no way the name would be changed to Nutár, as the original word is well known.

sirdan wrote:
Hi!
At first glance, i connected it with Iranian names. From this:
Code:
NAUDAR m Ancient Persian
Ancient Persian form of the Avestan name Naotara or Nautara, which most likely means "younger, newer" and is derived from Avestan nauua or nava meaning "new, fresh". It is also possible that the name is ultimately derived from Proto-Indo-Iranian nutára "quick", thus giving the name the overall meaning of "the quick one".

There might been a chance the name could migrate from Ottoman Empire to Hungary and then stayed in Slovakia. But Ottoman was Turkish, oh..

But You said about Polish Ancestry. The is a word Notar in a Upper Silesian dialect. It means just Notary. A person - Notarius(z). This is also found in Cieszyn dialect. But there are small to none Nutar in Chechia. If that theory would be true, then all Nutárs would come from one ancestor I think.

In addiction. Polish word nuta come from latin word nota. Then it was written in old polish as nóta. And finally nuta.

It is hard to guess eventually. I dont speak Slovakian, maybe that name has also some local meaning? Just hope You are a bit further in knowlegde Smile
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:51 am      Post subject:

Hi Nuti

Ottoman Empire conquered and ruled Hungary since 1514 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Hungary

Since same year 1514 Ottoman started wars with Persians (now Iran). I cant explain right now, how that surname could move from Persia to Hungary.

You have seen Nutar name from XVI Century. Do you know what was the status of the person having that name, its "nationality" or origins, social status, name (name also could indicate origins), job, context, etc.

I think digging in old documents would be the next step. I suppose Nutar is a rare name in Slovakia? Then all Nutars would come from one ancestror, that is to be found..
nuti

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:34 am      Post subject:

I don't know anything besides the name and the year of birth, but I am sure every Nutár I encounter is my family Smile It is a very unique name and even the people I found in USA and Canada are my cousins.

To know the social status/job would be amazing, but I was only doing "research" on Myheritage and such things are not mentioned anywhere.
nuti

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:42 am      Post subject:

There is one more interesting fact. My name is Ivo Nutár, and there was an italian pilot Ivo Nutarelli. I also have some small italian ancestry on some DNA test results. Also, we both have a mustache Very Happy
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:42 am      Post subject:

nuti wrote:
There is one more interesting fact. My name is Ivo Nutár, and there was an italian pilot Ivo Nutarelli. I also have some small italian ancestry on some DNA test results. Also, we both have a mustache Very Happy
Hehe, i am remembering Mario now.. Smile

Anyway, i would be careful with those ethnicities. This is not polished product yet, and there are cases with proved wrong ethnicities map. However, if we look at Italy here https://www.myheritage.com/ethnicities/italy/country-ethnicity-distribution then 16% of Italians should have Middle East matching, which is not small.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: