PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:01 pm      Post subject: Questions About Polish Citizenship Confirmation Process

Hi, All!

I've been working with Aga, who has been great and very helpful, to gather documents surrounding my grandmother in order to pursue confirmation of my Polish citizenship. I'm now at a point where I am finishing gathering up documents for translation and my embassy appointment.

I had a couple of questions surrounding the application process and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience that may guide me. Firstly, does the Konsulate require "originals" of your documents? For example, I have a single copy of my marriage license mailed to me from the registry office. Will I need to turn in that copy of my license, or will a copy of the license do?

I'm also wondering what everyone's experience was in terms of proving Polish citizenship itself through documents. I have a copy of my grandmother's applications for an ID card from the 1950s, but the card itself has been lost to time and she turned in her Polish passport when she was naturalized as a US citizen, though she did not renounce her Polish citizenship. I've tried contacting the US Immigration Services office to see if they still have copies of passports and if we can get a copy, but because her file is over 70 years old, they cannot locate her physical documents.

Lastly, did you have any issues with slight differences in names on some of your documents? As an example, my grandfather changed the spelling of our last name from "Szkyrpan" to "Szkirpan" when he was naturalized. I do have a certified copy explaining the change that he submitted with his naturalization paperwork, so I'm less worried about that as an inconsistency, but my grandparents both used their Americanized names on my father's birth certificate (Semen to Sam and Antonina to Antoinette). The Konsulate has advised to write a short explanation explaining name variances, but I was unsure how effective that would be during this process.

I attempted to ask the Konsulate if they had a preferred Polish lawyer who could advise me, but they did not. I have been advised to contact CK Law Office in Warsaw, but they seem to be more specific to doing the entire citizenship confirmation process for you, not advising legally for my paperwork.

Thanks in advance!

Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:08 am      Post subject:

Elizabeth,
I've sent you an email regarding consultation with the citizenship lawyer we work with. He offered to answer your questions.

Greetings,
Agnieszka
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: