PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:52 am      Post subject: Finding Lost Relative Irena Snopek

hi all,

i am helping an elderly friend to find information about her mother who dissappeared in/from Australia after 1950's (big ask) all the information i have has come from photo's and transport records and friends personal memories.

her mother is

Irena Snopek Born 17 July 1929 in Warszawa, Poland.

she married (Have no actual marriage records)

Jerzy Sawicki Born 17 July 1926 in Warsaw, Mazowieckie, Poland.

they had 2 children Ryszard and Teresa Sawicki both born in Germany 1946 and 1948.

immigrated to Australia 06 Sept 1950 from Guxhaven, spent time in a settlement camp Bremerhaven, Germany and then settled in Western Australia, Australia.

this is where it gets messy, Irena and Jerzy separated and both children were put into orphanages mid 1950's never to see or hear from their mother again, i have not been able to find any trace of Irena in Australia at all.

i had a "hint" come up on Ancestry linked to a family tree researched by a Jacek Sawicki whom i have had no reply from, the hint was linked to a,

Irena Citowicz with only a place of Death being Bialystok, Podlaskie, Poland.

https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/pt/PersonMatch.aspx?tid=170194993&pid=132209296575&_phsrc=qwy1372&_phstart=default&usePUBJs=true&currentPageIsStart=

i have not found any more information to possibly link this person with my friends mother, my friend would love to find out what happened with her mother as she is quite older now and has always thought about it.

we have no more info, her father has passed and told the children nothing about their mother.

many thanks for any help/guidence/information all is greatly appreciated, we await eagerly

steve
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:04 pm      Post subject:

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum. You have a very difficult case on your hands for many reasons.

Here are a few suggestions:

It is always best to start in the present and work your way back in time. First, I would attempt to secure as many documents and interviews as possible in Australia regarding this family. For example:

Interview all living family members, family friends, church community members, neighbors who lived near them in the early 1950s. These collective stories provide clues.

Locate documents and interviews from the orphanage- they must have a file on the family. Do this while she is still able because she will likely have to make the request herself for legal reasons

Contact immigration and travel to see if Irena applied for a passport to leave Australia

Did they legally divorce? Check for possible divorce records in Australia. There would be a document trail if they divorced.

Given the timeframe of these events - more recent and during WWII- it will be much harder to research. You may need to hire a private investigator to find a missing person, rather than a genealogist.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.
Wishing you the best in your research,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:36 pm      Post subject:

Hello Steve,

Cynthia gave you lots of good advice. I agree this is a very difficult case. Having three different countries involved makes it a bit more complex too.

Additionally, does your friend have any clues as to anything about her Snopek grandparents and/or maternal aunts or uncles? If you do, post the names here. Researching those clues (if they exist) may lead to somebody who might remember something about Irena.

Good luck!
Diane
Gympiebrowns

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:52 pm      Post subject:

Gday Cynthia and Diane,

many thanks for the reply, its always great to get a fresh perspective from experienced researchers, unfortunately i am off to a funeral over the next few days and wont get a chance to dig a bit deeper but had to reply, many thanks, take care and stay safe appreciate the ideas of where to head.

steve
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:28 am      Post subject:

Gympiebrowns wrote:
Gday Cynthia and Diane,

many thanks for the reply, its always great to get a fresh perspective from experienced researchers, unfortunately i am off to a funeral over the next few days and wont get a chance to dig a bit deeper but had to reply, many thanks, take care and stay safe appreciate the ideas of where to head.

steve

G'day Steve

Have you tried the National Archives of Australia - they hold documents for immigrants - these are what I could find - you will of course have to apply for the copies to be made available (at a cost). Once the documents are scanned they are available on line. The documents may have Irena's birth location and parents names.

Cheers

Ted

SAWICKI.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.31 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

SAWICKI.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: