PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 100

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:48 pm      Post subject: Two death records, same person

I have two death records for my many times great grandmother, Jadwiga Warcholowicz who apparently died in 1735 and 1737 according to the index I found these under. One is in Polish and one in Latin. I would greatly appreciate translations. Thank you!
First is attached.

363BC763-6E72-4070-9466-3044D371C8BF.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.22 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

363BC763-6E72-4070-9466-3044D371C8BF.jpeg

Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:49 pm      Post subject:

Here is the second.

2513595F-7894-4A91-B321-E31D6D5938F7.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  148.66 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

2513595F-7894-4A91-B321-E31D6D5938F7.jpeg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:25 pm      Post subject: Re: Two death records, same person

Richard Kuzniak wrote:
I have two death records for my many times great grandmother, Jadwiga Warcholowicz who apparently died in 1735 and 1737 according to the index I found these under. One is in Polish and one in Latin. I would greatly appreciate translations. Thank you!
First is attached.

Hi Richard,

The title of the post should be changed to something like “Two women named Jadwiga, one death & burial record for each.” It appears (from BaSia) that there were two men named Antoni Warcholowicz who lived in Szamotuły during the 18th Century. One was married to a Jadwiga & had children with her. It appears that he was widowed—possibly in 1734 but more likely in 1735. This Jadwiga died from postpartum complications A Warcholowicz male child—probably named Maciej—was born & died in 1734. Starting in 1742 Antoni Warcholowicz and his wife Agnieszka had children until 1763. An 80 year old Antoni Warcholowicz died in 1769. I would say that it is very doubtful that they are the same person. I posit for your consideration that the Jadwiga who died in 1735 was the wife of the Antoni who had children with Jadwiga and then with Agnieszka and that the Jadwiga who died in 1737 was the wife of the Antoni who died at age 80 in 1769. This is an educated guess but needs documentary proof. Just to add to the confusion...there is a marriage record for Antoni Warcholowicz and Jadwiga from 1730. You really need a scorecard to keep track of the various players.

BTW the Polish entry is a hybrid of Polish & Latin.

Anyway, here are the two death & burial records translated.

Dave

Latin Record: September
On the 2nd of September the renowned* Jadwiga Warcholowiczowa**, a resident of Szamotuły died after having been fortified with all the Sacraments*** and was buried in the church towards the holy Guardian Angel. She died from having given birth.

Notes: *famata/renowned: adjective used to describe a middle class craftsman—in this case the wife of a craftsman.

**The suffix -owa means “the wife of…”

***omnibus Sacramentis/all the Sacraments: Refers to Confession, Communion (under the name of Viaticum), and Extreme Unction (now Anointing of the Sick). Collectively these were known as “The Last Rites”.

Polish Record: Right Margin: Szamotuły; 10 March
Body of Entry: The renowned* Pani (Mrs.) Jadwiga Warcholowiczowa**, a resident/townswoman died after having been fortified by the Sacraments***. She was buried in the church in the great choir next to the altar of the most Holy Sorrowful Mother****.

Notes: *sławetna/renowned: adjective used to describe a middle class craftsman—in this case the wife of a craftsman.

**The suffix -owa means “the wife of…”

***munita Sacramentis/fortified by the Sacraments: Refers to Confession, Communion (under the name of Viaticum), and Extreme Unction (now Anointing of the Sick). Collectively these were known as “The Last Rites”.

****The Blessed Virgin Mary under the title of Mother of Sorrows.
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:10 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much Dave, for the translations but also for your astute observation. I agree with your analysis and conclusion. I guess it never occurred to me that there could be two different couples with the same names living in the same area, and so I was careless. The Antonius Warcholowicz that died at 80 is not likely to have kept having children into his 60s and probably not the one whose marriage record I have from 1730. My 5x great grandmother was Zophia Warcholowicz (born 1732), based on good line tracing and a Antonius and Jadwiga were her parents. I agree it was the Jadwiga that died in 1735. I am somewhat disappointed because I now don’t have a death record for my 6x grandfather, nor a birth record. Also, this was my only inferred birth in the 1600s and I don’t think that is likely. My ancestor was likely born in the early 1700s. It’s frustrating that this information is not on BaSIA but maybe I can find his birth record through other means. Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: