PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 100

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:11 pm      Post subject: Kuzniak

I suggested to my sister in law who is a more recent arrival from Poland to Canada than I am (I came here as a baby in 1949) that Kuzniak could, with some justification, be equated to the English Smith. I base that that on the "k" ending attached to kuznia which, I surmise, means smith shop. A Kuzniak might be one who works in such a shop, i.e. a smith. She rightly says no, that would be a kowal and hence Kowalsky. But...am I way off? What might be the origin of my name?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:58 pm      Post subject: Re: Kuzniak

Richard Kuzniak wrote:
I suggested to my sister in law who is a more recent arrival from Poland to Canada than I am (I came here as a baby in 1949) that Kuzniak could, with some justification, be equated to the English Smith. I base that that on the "k" ending attached to kuznia which, I surmise, means smith shop. A Kuzniak might be one who works in such a shop, i.e. a smith. She rightly says no, that would be a kowal and hence Kowalsky. But...am I way off? What might be the origin of my name?

Hi Richard,

You are correct and your cousin’s answer is partially accurate but incomplete. When looking for 19th Century occupations contemporary usage and dictionaries just don’t cut it. The attached screenshot is of an entry from the so called “Słownik Warszawski” which was published in eight volumes during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.

Dave

Screenshot 2021-08-09 164406.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.74 KB
 Viewed:  2596 Time(s)

Screenshot 2021-08-09 164406.png

Richard Kuzniak

Replies: 100

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:35 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Dave. Great explanation and reference. I will find and bookmark the Słownik. Hope you are well!
Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: