PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 89

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:50 am      Post subject: Male Equivalent to Trzaskocianka

One of my 4x great grandmothers is Marianna Trzaskocianka. What might be the male version of that surname? Thank you.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3291

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:58 am      Post subject: Re: Male Equivalent to Trzaskocianka

Richard Kuzniak wrote:
One of my 4x great grandmothers is Marianna Trzaskocianka. What might be the male version of that surname? Thank you.

I suppose Trzaska, but You should attach some documents so that forum users can see the original record.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:52 am      Post subject:

Thank you. Attached is the document I found the name reference in.

Laurentius Palicki death civil.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  579.04 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Laurentius Palicki death civil.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 683

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:46 pm      Post subject:

Hi Richard,
Well, there she is, 3 times in the same document! Marianna, geborene Trzaskocianka, Palicki. Once in the main body of the form, and twice in the margin notes. As the document is in German, you may wish to ask KMichael8 to translate it (particularly the margin notes).
I'm sure that you already know that the "-anka" ending denotes an unmarried female, and so you are trying to deduce what the root surname is. The rule, as I understand it, was that surnames where the root ended in a consonant were given the ending "-owna" for unmarried females, but if the root ended in a vowel they were given the ending "-anka." Marcel already suggested Trzaska, but I would add the possibilities of Trzasko and Trzaski.
One good resource for looking at surnames is this: http://www.herby.com.pl/ It is derived from Polish census information (in the 1990s). From this link, click on "Słownika Nazwisk Współcześnie w Polsce Używanych", to get to the search page. You can search for a surname with a "wildcard" by using an asterisk. I used the search term Trzas* and that gives all names beginning with those letters.
Best regards,
Sophia
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:32 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Sophia. I have bookmarked that excellent resource and I will post this record in German translations. I guess I am having trouble with the "cianka" part of the ending as, for example, with Trzasko, one might expect Trzaskowa or Trzaskowna? I recall getting stuck with another distant great by name of Warcholowiczkowna. I clued in that I should search Warcholowicz and sure enough I was able to go back 2 more generations right into the late 1600s. This is great adventure for me and I am grateful to the terrific helpful people on this forum.
Wish I hadn’t waited till age 73! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: