PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 25

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:36 pm      Post subject: Szewczynski (or variations) in Przerośl, Suwałki

Greetings!

In my continued research into the surnames Lutynski and Kruhelski I came across a surname that matched a family story very closely. (my previous posts Lutynski/Kruhelski in Suwalki tell the back story).

by looking up DNA matches on Ancestry.com and cross-checking them against family trees, I saw a name variation of "Rochla Szewczynski" that was spelled as "Schefczinski" - this is very similar to what we had been told the original surname of our ancestor Antoni Lutynski was! I haven't been able to locate this surname in Poland before and so I am very hopeful that at last I may have located his correct surname.

Apparently, according to Jewish Records Indexing - Poland, there were quite a few Szewczynski's living in Przerośl in the 1800's. The current location of this village is in Suwałki county, Podlaskie Voivodeship, in north-eastern Poland. It is the seat of the gmina called Gmina Przerośl, according to Wikipedia. Smile

My weakness is finding records in Polish and/or Russian. I had no luck on http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/ and although I did find the surname on JRI-Poland.org, I could not view records themselves. Is there anyone who could advise me on where else to look for the following names?

This is a Jewish family and I am looking for the following forenames within the time frame of 1820-1900 or so.
Shmuel or similar variations (Szloma, Shmujlo, Solomon, etc) - would be born around 1820-1850?
Rochla or similar variations (Rascha, Reuza, Riva, etc) - born around 1830-1850?

I am looking for the parents of "Anton Lutynski" who was born 1872-1874, forenames Shmuel and Rochla. His name may be Aron or another "A" variation.

Any and all guidance would be much appreciated.
Thank you!
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3291

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Szewczynski (or variations) in Przerośl, Suwałki

jwaldo11 wrote:
Greetings!

In my continued research into the surnames Lutynski and Kruhelski I came across a surname that matched a family story very closely. (my previous posts Lutynski/Kruhelski in Suwalki tell the back story).

by looking up DNA matches on Ancestry.com and cross-checking them against family trees, I saw a name variation of "Rochla Szewczynski" that was spelled as "Schefczinski" - this is very similar to what we had been told the original surname of our ancestor Antoni Lutynski was! I haven't been able to locate this surname in Poland before and so I am very hopeful that at last I may have located his correct surname.

Apparently, according to Jewish Records Indexing - Poland, there were quite a few Szewczynski's living in Przerośl in the 1800's. The current location of this village is in Suwałki county, Podlaskie Voivodeship, in north-eastern Poland. It is the seat of the gmina called Gmina Przerośl, according to Wikipedia. Smile

My weakness is finding records in Polish and/or Russian. I had no luck on http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/ and although I did find the surname on JRI-Poland.org, I could not view records themselves. Is there anyone who could advise me on where else to look for the following names?

This is a Jewish family and I am looking for the following forenames within the time frame of 1820-1900 or so.
Shmuel or similar variations (Szloma, Shmujlo, Solomon, etc) - would be born around 1820-1850?
Rochla or similar variations (Rascha, Reuza, Riva, etc) - born around 1830-1850?

I am looking for the parents of "Anton Lutynski" who was born 1872-1874, forenames Shmuel and Rochla. His name may be Aron or another "A" variation.

Any and all guidance would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

Can You please specify Your research?
I understand that You are looking for parents of Antoni vel Aron Lutyński, who was born in the jewish commune in Przerośl, right? And their names were: Szmuel Lutyński and Rochla nee Szewczyńska?
O checked the birth records for the Przerośl synagogue district for 1980-1875 but there was no Lutyński who was registered at that time period.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
jwaldo11

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:34 pm      Post subject:

I apologize for the confusion:

There will be no "Lutynski" name found in the record as Anton changed his birth name to Lutynski some time around 1900 when he was married. His name at birth should be something like that of his parents, a verson of Schefczinski, Szewczynski, Szewczynowski, or Szczuczynski.

As he was Jewish, I am assuming his forename at birth was not Anton, but was Aron or Abram; however, that could be a false assumption. On his marriage record he listed his parent's forenames as Shmuel and Rochla. I believe there may have been some families with that surname in Filipów as well as in Przerośl.

I have found multiple DNA matches descending from a Boruch Kanowicz, born @1802 in Suwałki, Poland. I believe (but have not confirmed) that our family is somehow connected to the wife of Boruch's son Icko Kanowicz, born about 1838 in Suwalki, married to Rochla Szewczynowska in 1858 in Przerośl, died in 1901.

Rochla Szewczynowska was born 1836 in Przerośl (parents unknown to me), died 17 April 1901 in Suwałki.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3291

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:04 am      Post subject:

jwaldo11 wrote:
I apologize for the confusion:

There will be no "Lutynski" name found in the record as Anton changed his birth name to Lutynski some time around 1900 when he was married. His name at birth should be something like that of his parents, a verson of Schefczinski, Szewczynski, Szewczynowski, or Szczuczynski.

As he was Jewish, I am assuming his forename at birth was not Anton, but was Aron or Abram; however, that could be a false assumption. On his marriage record he listed his parent's forenames as Shmuel and Rochla. I believe there may have been some families with that surname in Filipów as well as in Przerośl.

I have found multiple DNA matches descending from a Boruch Kanowicz, born @1802 in Suwałki, Poland. I believe (but have not confirmed) that our family is somehow connected to the wife of Boruch's son Icko Kanowicz, born about 1838 in Suwalki, married to Rochla Szewczynowska in 1858 in Przerośl, died in 1901.

Rochla Szewczynowska was born 1836 in Przerośl (parents unknown to me), died 17 April 1901 in Suwałki.

In the birth records book for the Przerośl jewish commune for the year of 1836 there is entry for Szejna Szewczyńska.
can you please send the marriage record for Antoni Lutyński?

There was no entry in 1868-1880 in Przerośl birth records for the jewish commune for Antoni/Aron Schefczinski, Szewczynski, Szewczynowski, or Szczuczynski

PAYPAL: [email protected]
jwaldo11

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:48 am      Post subject:

Antoni Lutynski was married in Carfin, Scotland on 5 May 1900 to Antonina "Crowvilsky" Kruhelska. I will attach both the civil registration, which is in English, and the Catholic church record, which is in Latin. I hope it might be of some assistance to you, and appreciate your efforts!

From this record, it appears that his surname was transcribed as "Satickias", and his mother's maiden name as "Grudickias". However, in family stories we had been told that his original name was Schefczcynzki or a variation. So we were never sure what the true story was. The marriage record had never been found until recently to compare with.

Antonina's parents are Stanisław Kruhelski and Marianna "Anna" Andruskiewicz and she was born in Makowszczyzna, Wiżajny. Their families would have had to have lived relatively close to each other in Poland, I would assume. I believe that Anton and Antonina knew each other in Poland before going to Scotland to get married as she was 5 months pregnant when they were married.

Lutynski St. Francis Marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  946.15 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Lutynski St. Francis Marriage.jpg

Antony Antonina marriage Scotland jpeg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1004.78 KB

Antony Antonina marriage Scotland jpeg.jpg

jwaldo11

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:56 pm      Post subject:

So far, using Jewish Records Indexing - Poland, I have been able to identify what I believe are family members for Rochla SZEWCZYŃSKA:

Father: Aron SZEWCZYŃSKI, b 1800, d 1875, Przerośl
Mother: Pesza Szołomów?, b 1800, Przerośl

Siblings: Calko SZEWCZYŃSKI, b 1824, d 1845, Przerośl
Szmujło SZEWCZYŃSKI, b 1845
Rywka SZEWCZYŃSKA, m Eliasz Filipowski

Spouse: Icko Kanowicz, b in Suwalki, and multiple children.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 869

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:39 am      Post subject:

Hi,

Family Search has Jewish records for 1827-1905 in Przerośl with gaps in some years. However, they are locked and can only be viewed from a family research center or library affiliate near you. Here is the link

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/29097?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:42 pm      Post subject:

I believe I found the 1858 marriage record, akt 10, attached, for Icko Kanowicz and Rochla Szewczynowska . I will see if I can find other records you mention. Meanwhile, post for translation.

Best,
Cynthia

E72B38F4-F0B0-423D-A64E-FAB9FDEE7204.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.86 MB

E72B38F4-F0B0-423D-A64E-FAB9FDEE7204.jpeg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:36 pm      Post subject:

I think I found the 1845 death record for Calko Szewczynski, akt 3, attached.

Cynthia

53C9831B-22E2-424C-8D1A-6CC3322AD0AC.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.76 MB

53C9831B-22E2-424C-8D1A-6CC3322AD0AC.jpeg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:01 pm      Post subject:

Here is the link in Szukajarchiwach if you want to try looking for yourself. So far, I posted the only 2 records I could find. You can use JRI as a cross reference for the year, record type, and akt #, that will help you to easily locate the records in the books at this link:

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/zespol/-/zespol/110099?_Zespol_javax.portlet.action=zmienWidok&_Zespol_nameofjsp=jednostki&_Zespol_delta=20&_Zespol_resetCur=false&_Zespol_cur=1

Cynthia
Send e-mail
jwaldo11

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:25 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Cynthia!

I appreciate also the tip of cross-checking JRI-Poland to get reference numbers for the records.

I believe Calko is the brother of Rochla Szewczynska. At this point I still have not confirmed this surname is connected to the ancestor I am looking for, but there are DNA matches linking our family to Icko Kanowicz, Rochla's husband, so I do believe we are close to finding out more!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: