PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:26 am      Post subject: WWI: Russian POWs in barracks with Polish POWs

Has anyone heard of the Russische Polnische Zivil Arbeit Abteilung? Or can you tell what type of uniforms these men are wearing?

My grandfather served in the Russian Army in WWI. He was a translator and so likely an officer. He was injured and sent to a hospital in Danzig (now Gdansk). Then he was sent to a POW camp, possibly in Austria. After the war he went to Ostrog, Poland (now in Ukraine), where he met his future wife. Both families were Jewish.

I have a photo of him in a group of POWs (see below) standing in front of a building holding several signs. One says "R.P.Z.A.A. 28" I've had the sign identified as German and as an abbreviation for: Russische Polnische Zivil Arbeit Abteilung. Google translate says is: Russian Polish Civil Labor Department. I don't know what the number 28 means.

There are also several small signs with numbers: "10" and "48"

Does anyone know about this Department? Or what the numbers mean?

Also, can you tell what type of uniforms the men are wearing? Their hats and coats are not all the same. I don't think anyone is wearing insignia but its hard to tell since the photo is so worn.

I've also attached another photo of 3 men who I think are POWs since they have no insignia on their uniforms. Any ideas on where the uniforms might be from?

Last, but not least: How/why would these guys have had personal photos taken in the middle of the war as POWs? They apparently were given copies to keep. I also have a solo pic of my grandfather, which was inscribed on the back "To Yakov Ropman". I don't know who he was, but somehow the pic was with my gf when he came to the US.

Thank you for any info at all!

PS: this is my first post, so please forgive any boo-boos...

Sol and 2 men in POW uniforms.jpg
 Description:
I think these are POW uniforms, as they have no insignia
 Filesize:  449.48 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Sol and 2 men in POW uniforms.jpg

Sol in army group WWI_edited-1.jpg
 Description:
Closeup from large photo
 Filesize:  13.84 KB

Sol in army group WWI_edited-1.jpg

Sol in army group WWI_edited-2.jpg
 Description:
Group of men in WWI POW camp; R.P.Z.A.A. 28
 Filesize:  169.4 KB

Sol in army group WWI_edited-2.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: