PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:58 am      Post subject: chwatek family and mystery of ancestry

hello,

im looking for anyone who can shed light on my surname. it is spelled as CHWATEK. however, as an american i understand that this can be the result of altering upon the immigration of my ancestors. whilst doing my geneaological research in Poland, im often getting 0 results with this spelling. however, i have seen many records for the spelling as CHWALEK or most often CHWAŁEK.

essentially, according to the rules of Polish naming, is it even possibly for my last name to have actually been CHWATEK? or would it have had to have been of the other two possibilities?

I have other ancestors with the name of Klick and also Scipien. they married into the Chwatek family as far as i understand. however, neither name is shown to be Polish according to this website, yet they were both born in Poland.

moreso, i have only the names of two places in Poland that my ancestors purportedly came from, neither of which has yielded any fruitful results in my geneaological digging.

as i understand it, they came from Taranobrzeg and Baranow Sandomierski, Malopolska. Previously i had contacted the diocese in both areas but never received a reply.

the Klick and Scipien families are purportedly to have come from Dabrowica, but it doesnt say which because there are many Dabrowica's in Poland.

I have 1 document only related to my ancestry. If you can understand more about what this means and any information that can be added to it, it would be dearly appreciated.

it is a baptismal document. the translation is as follows:

Przemysl Diocese

year and number of baptismal record: 1890 , VI 87, 86

name and surname: Katarzyna Klick
fathers name : Tomasz Klick
mother name: Maria Scipien
Place and date of birth: Dabrowica, November 25th, 1890
Date and place of baptism: November 27th, 1890, Slezaki

remarks in baptism record: married with Walentyn Chwatek

adding to information i have.

the first patriarch of my family was a man named Andrew Chwatek

our tree shows he was born around 1860 and had 4 children with a woman named Victoria Watrola.

the tree also has a Walenty Chwatek born January 23rd, 1894 in Baranow Sandomierski, Malopolska.

Walenty Chwatek had 4 children with Katarzyna Klick born October 25th, 1890 in Dabrowica, Galizicu.

overall, i have hit nothing but deadends in this process, from what i believe to be the strange spellings of the surnames of my Polish ancestors. I do not know if errors in writing or name changes upon immigration can be attributed to it, or perhaps their names were truly spelled that way.

if you can help in any way shape or form, i would be forever grateful. anything is valuable, if you can find any information regarding my family or info about my surname and these relatives, you would help solve over a decades long spell of unknowns.

thank you for any information and for your time

my personal family tree only extends back to 1860 and does not specify which town this ancestor came from nor what the last name truly was.

if anyone has any idea about this mystery i would appreciate any information possibly.

as per records i have to offer more info, i only have a hand written family tree and 1 pdf of a marriage certificate in Poland.

IMG_9594.JPG
 Description:
clearer writing of baptismal certificate for easy reading
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

IMG_9594.JPG

IMG_9592.PNG
 Description:
part of family tree
 Filesize:  184.44 KB

IMG_9592.PNG

IMG_9593.JPG
 Description:
baptismal certificate
 Filesize:  1.06 MB

IMG_9593.JPG

katarzyna_t
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 82

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:34 am      Post subject: Re: chwatek family and mystery of ancestry

chwatekm wrote:
hello,

im looking for anyone who can shed light on my surname. it is spelled as CHWATEK. however, as an american i understand that this can be the result of altering upon the immigration of my ancestors. whilst doing my geneaological research in Poland, im often getting 0 results with this spelling. however, i have seen many records for the spelling as CHWALEK or most often CHWAŁEK.

essentially, according to the rules of Polish naming, is it even possibly for my last name to have actually been CHWATEK? or would it have had to have been of the other two possibilities?

I have other ancestors with the name of Klick and also Scipien. they married into the Chwatek family as far as i understand. however, neither name is shown to be Polish according to this website, yet they were both born in Poland.

moreso, i have only the names of two places in Poland that my ancestors purportedly came from, neither of which has yielded any fruitful results in my geneaological digging.

as i understand it, they came from Taranobrzeg and Baranow Sandomierski, Malopolska. Previously i had contacted the diocese in both areas but never received a reply.

the Klick and Scipien families are purportedly to have come from Dabrowica, but it doesnt say which because there are many Dabrowica's in Poland.

I have 1 document only related to my ancestry. If you can understand more about what this means and any information that can be added to it, it would be dearly appreciated.

it is a baptismal document. the translation is as follows:

Przemysl Diocese

year and number of baptismal record: 1890 , VI 87, 86

name and surname: Katarzyna Klick
fathers name : Tomasz Klick
mother name: Maria Scipien
Place and date of birth: Dabrowica, November 25th, 1890
Date and place of baptism: November 27th, 1890, Slezaki

remarks in baptism record: married with Walentyn Chwatek

adding to information i have.

the first patriarch of my family was a man named Andrew Chwatek

our tree shows he was born around 1860 and had 4 children with a woman named Victoria Watrola.

the tree also has a Walenty Chwatek born January 23rd, 1894 in Baranow Sandomierski, Malopolska.

Walenty Chwatek had 4 children with Katarzyna Klick born October 25th, 1890 in Dabrowica, Galizicu.

overall, i have hit nothing but deadends in this process, from what i believe to be the strange spellings of the surnames of my Polish ancestors. I do not know if errors in writing or name changes upon immigration can be attributed to it, or perhaps their names were truly spelled that way.

if you can help in any way shape or form, i would be forever grateful. anything is valuable, if you can find any information regarding my family or info about my surname and these relatives, you would help solve over a decades long spell of unknowns.

thank you for any information and for your time

my personal family tree only extends back to 1860 and does not specify which town this ancestor came from nor what the last name truly was.

if anyone has any idea about this mystery i would appreciate any information possibly.

as per records i have to offer more info, i only have a hand written family tree and 1 pdf of a marriage certificate in Poland.

Hello chwatekm!

Welcome to the Forum!

I'll try to answer 2 of your questions:

1. It is very likely that the surname of your ancestors was "Chwałek". Please note that the Polish letters "Ł" and "T" look similar when written in lowercase:
(Ł) ł = t (T)

2. You attached the baptismal certificate of Katarzyna Klich (not Klick) where we can find two names of places: Dąbrowica (place of birth) and Ślęzaki (place of baptism, the seat of parish). When we take a look at the map we can locate the correct Dąbrowica, it is about 3 km from Ślęzaki: https://goo.gl/maps/kG8rCgLsH4m58kwp6
And it is indeed in the area of Baranów Sandomierski/Tarnobrzeg.

Good luck with your research!
Katarzyna

If you wish PolishOrigins' assistance with your research, you can read more here : https://polishorigins.com/genealogy/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: