PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:38 pm      Post subject: HELP POLISH IN IRAN/INDIA BORN POLAND

I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT MORE INFORMATION ON THIS PERSON: ANNA RUPAR. I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT HER ANCESTORS, DESCENDANTS, AND WHAT HAPPENED TO HER AFTER GOING TO MEXICO

USHMM.ORG DID NOT HAVE HER IN THEIR DATABASE.

https://www.ushmm.org/online/hsv/source_view.php?SourceId=46382

CAN ANYONE HELP ME? I SUSPECT HER NAME MIGHT NMOT BE ANNA RUPAR BUT I AM NOT 100% SURE

Anna Rupar, who was born on July 26th, 1874 at Jaroslaw. Apparently, she was able to secure herself to the convoys that were evacuated from the Soviet Union in 1942, following an amnesty that was given by Stalin the previous year.

The possibility of refugees arriving in India and in Karachi was due to the invitation sent to the allies by the prince of Navanagar named Jam Saheb. The first camp or “settlement” was built near the town of Jamnagar in 1942, at Balachadi. Anna was one of the lucky ones sent off to a Karachi refugee camp a year later, where she was looked out for by the local and international authorities, receiving medical aid and an allowance from the Polish Government in Exile.

Passport number 09404/43 was issued by the consular service of the embassy at Tehran on February 6th, 1943. A month and a half later she was placed on a list of evacuees for India. A special traveling document, hers was numbered 497/44, was arranged for the refugees, made out to the Polish consulate in Bombay on March 28th. We can learn from the contents that they traveled possibly on a collective passport where she was assigned to group number 47. Her fingers prints were pressed onto the document and no photograph was attached. She was inoculated for smallpox and ATB at the Karachi refugee camp on July 16th. The passport was not used later on, during the war, for traveling; it was extended twice by the Polish consul in Bombay Dr. T. Lisiecki who was also personally involved in the arrangements provided for the refugees before and during their arrival to India (also the proper burial of Polish soldiers).

A large portion of the refugees after the war decided not to return to Poland, fearing the new regime that was being formed, after remembering clearly their ordeal in the Soviet Union several years earlier. But Anna made the decision to return home, to Poland, and she did so in 1947: Her original document was endorsed upon her arrival on May 2nd.

4-9.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  649.01 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

4-9.png

3-8.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  646.17 KB

3-8.png

2-8.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  665.16 KB

2-8.png

1-8.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  567.38 KB

1-8.png

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:00 am      Post subject:

The document that has her photo also contains an important clue for you. She was not born in Jaroslaw itself, she was born in Sieniawa in the powiat of Jaroslaw. Sieniawa is about 20km north of Jaroslaw.
The other clue there is that she is "wdowa" which means she is a widow. So, Rupar may be her married name. Certainly the surname Rupar exists in that area.
Sophia
KRAFTWERK

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:16 am      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
The document that has her photo also contains an important clue for you. She was not born in Jaroslaw itself, she was born in Sieniawa in the powiat of Jaroslaw. Sieniawa is about 20km north of Jaroslaw.
The other clue there is that she is "wdowa" which means she is a widow. So, Rupar may be her married name. Certainly the surname Rupar exists in that area.
Sophia

Thanks. Now I have to locate her records. Many polish nationals that traveled this route have problems tracing their ancestry
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:06 pm      Post subject:

KRAFTWERK wrote:
Sophia wrote:
Sophia

Thanks. Now I have to locate her records. Many polish nationals that traveled this route have problems tracing their ancestry

Hi,
I took a quick look on FamilySearch.org as well as the on-line Polish archives https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/strona_glowna and I do not see records from Sieniawa for the years you need.
I think the most direct route to success for you will be to ask the fine folks at Polish Origins if they can help you. It won't cost you anything just to ask, and they can contact the parish for you to see what records are available. The most helpful thing, in addition to the documents you posted here, would be if you can tell them what Anna's religion was. Since you have her date of birth, someone should be able to scan through a few months' worth of birth records to see if there was any Anna born then, and if you are lucky there will be a margin notation about her marriage to a Rupar. Failing that, one would have to scan through a few years' worth of marriage records looking for an Anna marrying a Rupar. For that research, you would have to pay but you would know the fee up front.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
KRAFTWERK

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:15 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
KRAFTWERK wrote:
Sophia wrote:
Sophia

Hi,
I took a quick look on FamilySearch.org as well as the on-line Polish archives https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/strona_glowna and I do not see records from Sieniawa for the years you need.
I think the most direct route to success for you will be to ask the fine folks at Polish Origins if they can help you. It won't cost you anything just to ask, and they can contact the parish for you to see what records are available. The most helpful thing, in addition to the documents you posted here, would be if you can tell them what Anna's religion was. Since you have her date of birth, someone should be able to scan through a few months' worth of birth records to see if there was any Anna born then, and if you are lucky there will be a margin notation about her marriage to a Rupar. Failing that, one would have to scan through a few years' worth of marriage records looking for an Anna marrying a Rupar. For that research, you would have to pay but you would know the fee up front.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia

Thanks again. I might just do that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: