PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:14 am      Post subject: Emigration from Kaunas, 1907

I'm looking for any informations about my great great grandfather Piotr Renberg, who appeared on Ellis Island on November 30, 1907. He came from Kaunas, and get on ship in Antwerpia. He had about 33 years old. Anyone can help me? Where I should look next?

Regards, Marta
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:58 pm      Post subject: Re: Emigration from Kaunas, 1907

MartaRogowska wrote:
I'm looking for any informations about my great great grandfather Piotr Renberg, who appeared on Ellis Island on November 30, 1907. He came from Kaunas, and get on ship in Antwerpia. He had about 33 years old. Anyone can help me? Where I should look next?

Regards, Marta

Hi Marta,
I am sure you have seen this, but for anyone else who may wish to help, here is a link to the ship manifest showing Piotr's arrival:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C95R-6795-D?i=371&cc=1368704&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AJX6P-X61
He is on line 26, with his occupation shown first as "lab" (short for laborer) and then it appears that it was changed to "painter." He was headed to Brooklyn, New York.
And this is the second page of the manifest:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C95R-679P-X?i=372&cc=1368704 which further specifies the address in Brooklyn as #471 Humboldt Street, the home of a friend named Karol Wlasewicz.
Further in that same ship manifest, you can see him on the Record of Detained Aliens:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C95R-679N-P?i=390&cc=1368704 where he is #104. Here, it shows he was released to his cousin, Mrs. Karol Lasewitz, who might or might not have been a cousin but rather the wife of his friend Karol Wlasewicz (Lasewitz is probably an incorrect spelling of Wlasewicz). Again, the address is #471 Humboldt. It shows that he was discharged on the 13th (discharged means they let him in), so he was admitted to the country on the same day as the ship arrived. Marta, the first page of the manifest has an X to the left of his name, and this is how you know you may find him on the list of Detained Aliens. If, instead of an X, it had the letters SI then you would find him on the list for "Special Inquiry" and then there would be a stamp, either "admitted" or "deported" over the letters SI. You can see other people on the same page, with the "admitted" stamp.
Marta, I looked for other records for him but could not find him. Do you know if he stayed in the U.S.?
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
MartaRogowska

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:41 am      Post subject:

Thank you Sophia,
thanks for explaining the x sing. Now I'm sure he was let in. Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge what happen next. Maybe you know some Internet files about citizen list in 1907? Or you know, what could happen to the people who arrive form Europe? Were they register in any kind of institution?
Regards, Marta
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:54 am      Post subject:

MartaRogowska wrote:
Thank you Sophia,
thanks for explaining the x sing. Now I'm sure he was let in. Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge what happen next. Maybe you know some Internet files about citizen list in 1907? Or you know, what could happen to the people who arrive form Europe? Were they register in any kind of institution?
Regards, Marta

Hi Marta,
They did not have to register. So usually we look for them on records like the census, or military draft papers, or death records, those sorts of things.
When he arrived in 1907, he went to a part of Brooklyn called Green Point. It was a very Polish area. It was very common for people in cities like Brooklyn to move many, many times. Maybe the neighbor's children were too noisy, or maybe you found a better apartment closer to your job, there were many reasons! I did look at the 1910 census, to see who was living at 471 Humboldt Street:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RV4-6N3?i=15&wc=QZZ7-BHQ%3A133641301%2C137724901%2C141697501%2C1589091907&cc=1727033
but as I already guessed, he is not there and his friend is not there, either.
Our problem is, we do not know where he lived, and we do not know if he changed his name. It is very likely that he changed Piotr to Peter, but he could have chosen any name. With a name like Renberg, he might have kept it, but we do not know for sure. The name Renberg (I am sure you know) is very rare in Poland. Renberg immigrants in the U.S. seemed to be mostly Swedish. So you can find on familysearch other "Peter Renberg" but I do not think they are your Piotr.
We need some good luck. If I find anything, I will let you know.
Best regards,
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:41 am      Post subject:

Hi Marta,
I am thinking that Karol's name is probably Łasewicz rather than Własewicz. It is, either way, a rare name. Karol could have anglicized his first name to Charles or Carl. I am not yet successful finding him, either, in U.S. records.
There is a very nice website that lets you search newspapers from Brooklyn (such as the "Brooklyn Daily Eagle") but I did not find Piotr or Karol there, either:
https://bklyn.newspapers.com/
I have been searching mostly on Familysearch.org and I wonder whether anyone else can take a look on Ancestry, please?
Sophia
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:13 am      Post subject:

Hello Marta and Sophia,

I spent time searching for Peter on Ancestry yesterday. I could not find him. As Sophia said, the only Peter Renberg I could find were of Swedish origins. I also tried searching for his wife Maria assuming that if he stayed in the US that she would have followed him, but I could not find her. I tried searching for his friend, but could not find him either for reasons that Sophia stated. I also could not find any family trees in Ancestry with Peter Renberg’s name.

It is possible that Peter came to the US and worked for less than 3 years, but then returned to Poland before the 1910 census.

I will continue to look around. Have you tried searching for evidence that he returned to Poland?

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
MartaRogowska

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:33 am      Post subject:

Guys, looks like I solved the mystery! I found death certificate of Piotr. He died in 1920 in Kaunas, Lithuania. So it means he came back to Europe. The last question is what he was doing meanwhile in USA.
Thank you both for engagement and all your help.
ps. Merry Christmas for all, Marta
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:19 am      Post subject:

MartaRogowska wrote:
Guys, looks like I solved the mystery! I found death certificate of Piotr. He died in 1920 in Kaunas, Lithuania. So it means he came back to Europe. The last question is what he was doing meanwhile in USA.
Thank you both for engagement and all your help.
ps. Merry Christmas for all, Marta

Congratulations, Marta!
Thank you for letting us know that you solved it.
Merry Christmas to you!
Sophia

P.S. Cynthia, thanks for answering my question about what was available on Ancestry. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:13 pm      Post subject:

That's great news, Marta! Congratulations on finding him, and thanks for updating us.
Merry Christmas to you, Sophia, and your families!

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:34 am      Post subject:

Hi Marta,
You may be able to determine when your Piotr returned to Kaunas.
Familysearch.org has census records for Kaunas which you can access from home. If you were to look at them for each year between 1907, when he emigrated, and 1920, when he died, you may figure out how much time he spent away, as well as where he was during the war years.
It is all in Russian.
Here is the list of "Family Lists or Local Censuses":
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/2823729?availability=Family%20History%20Library
Here is an example of what a page looks like (this is from 1905, before he emigrated):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSCJ-59T8-4?i=12&cat=2823729
And from that same source for 1905, here is an example of the index of names:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSCJ-59TC-Y?i=6&cat=2823729
It is not clear to me exactly how these lists are organized, since there are multiple microfilms for each year.
I hope it is useful for you.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
MartaRogowska

Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:53 am      Post subject:

Thanks Sophia, I will check.this and let you know what I found.
Best christmas wishes, Marta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Emigration All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: